Bura and Berk -- thank you!

I got to work today and there was a long triangular package waiting for me from Reno. Omigawd!

It's the Berk Special, this one made by Bura, and it is simply astonishing. At 22 inches, it's bigger than almost any other khuk I've handled, and at 35 ounces it's certainly HEAVIER. It's almost too much of a handful for me to think about using (except perhaps against bears!), but it's simply beautiful. Excellent forging, two fullers, and a lovely curve to the blade. There's no sword of Shiva engraved on the blade, but the HI initials are there in Devangari along with L.B. in English, plus his crescent moon mark.

The handle, which looks very much like east indian rosewood to me, is very well finished, and there's no metal pommel, just beautifully polished end grain. It looks as if he used less rouge than usual in polishing this grip, so I can't wait to get it down to the natural beauty of the wood itself. The carved ring in the middle is very prominent, however, which makes it uncomfortable for my relatively small hand.

The scabbard is brown leather, and it looks great -- so much nicer than the black, IMO. And those six tools are remarkable. Can someone tell me the purpose of the one with a small flat disc angled on the end? And the tweezers are a hoot -- so big, but still usable. (I guess one might be tempted to call this entire rig the Nepali version of the Swiss Army Knife -- if it weren't for the fact that there's another khuk that goes to Nepalese soldiers.)

At the time I ordered this, I didn't know that it was made by Bura -- but it's interesting that it is, because every khuk I've ever owned (not counting the kagas katne) is by Bura. I guess it was meant to be.

And I certainly wish Bura well and hope his surgery turns out as he would like it to. Whatever, this blade will always remind me of his skill and craft.

I've taken some pictures, and I'll post them tonight or tomorrow, as soon as I get to one of my adapters to get them out of the SD card.

Russ,
I also have small hands, and find that if I choke up a little so that the ring is between the little and third fingers it works well for me. Practice your woodchuckery on that handle and you will be impressed with the results. I cleaned all the rouge off with Murphy soap and put on five coats of Walosi's patented TruOil & ArmorAll treatment, and it shines like a jewel. The funny little tool is a button hook, perhaps not the most useful of items in the 21st Century, but a traditional part of the kit. Enjoy!
Berk

Russ, you are one lucky khuk owner. I think that is one of the top 2 or 3 rigs that HI offers. Congrats!

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Originally posted by Berkley
The funny little tool is a button hook, perhaps not the most useful of items in the 21st Century, but a traditional part of the kit.
Berk
And by carefully removing any burrs on it if needed you can use it as an excellent ear wax removal tool.:D
But use it carefully as ear wax is usually a brown color so if you get any gray color you've probably went to deep.:eek: ;)

Us khuk owners need all the grey matter we can keep!!!!:rolleyes:

Heeheeh! Good one, Yvsa. I think those are sound instructions for any of the tools & by-knives...

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Here's a picture of the whole rig. The chape on the scabbard is not yellowish, that's just due to the lighting. It's either silver or nickel silver, don't know which ... though as I look again, it's tarnishing, which would seem to indicate real Ag.

Attachments

• berkspec.jpg
    berkspec.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 312
Here's a picture of the toolkit. The deer horn handles come to fairly sharp points themselves.

Attachments

• berktools.jpg
    berktools.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 291
Berk

Thanks for the credit on the Berk special Mold.....Now if I can just save up enough to get one for myself.. sob sob

Foxy

Back