burl

Would someone tell me,first of all what in a tree is the burl,and what do i look for?I work in a sawmill,but until i got interested in making knives i had never heard the word,and no one i work with has ever heard.Thanks for any help.

Walter

Most likely you will not see the burl at the mill. When the trees are cut down and cut into logs they take only the nice strait stuff, but I am sure you know that. The burl is the crazy looking growths that sometimes forms on trees. They look like big warts. In some ways that is what they are. You may see small ones that get cut off. Look into the odd lumps. What the wood will look like inside is lots of figure and often lots of eyes. Where do you live some areas are more prone to making burls on some types of trees.

Thanks William, i live in south mississippi.Where i work we use everything .I use to saw all our scrap.Idont know what my chances are of finding it where i live,but with your description,and the website Tom give,maybe i will have some luck.

Thanks guys

Thanks William, i live in south mississippi.Where i work we use everything .I use to saw all our scrap.Idont know what my chances are of finding it where i live,but with your description,and the website Tom give,maybe i will have some luck.

Thanks guys

hey man I'm in brandon where abouts are you from

You have to ask him if he knows any Popes.I only been here about 18 years,after i met my wife.I grew up in Bogalusa,La. Hey you would't happen to know his sister's or his mom's name would ya.

a burl is an irregular growth of the grain. makes nice knife handles because of the figure, but often has voids that have to be filled. Harder to cut and work too.

pics:

BigBasin4.jpg

[Picture removed, direct link to picture: http://www.terragalleria.com/images/us-ca/usca30533.jpeg]

burl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Daniel,thanks a lot.A friend brought some over 2 nites ago he got from cherry tree.He said he was told that if you cut one of these out of a tree you did not want to cut into it for at least a year or longer,then when you cut it up you needed to put it in a plastic bag,to keep moisture from leaving too fast and it busting,until it was dry.I have one more question after seeing your pics.would it be the same thing as,what i would call,a knot.

Thanks again,Walter

Back