Burlatex Questions??

Ok, I really like the Oatmeal/Natural Micarta collection I seem to be assembling.

But I have to admit that Lime/Natural Bushcraft Sr. on the for sale section of the website from last Firday's sale is rather stunning.

My question is. The Burlatex is like Burlap Micarta, the next generation?
All the good, with less porisity?

Does it retain the grippiness of the Burlap Micarta?

In the photos, it looks outstanding! And I see it looks like it's made right in Georgia.

Thanks guys!

I have had great luck witn Shadetree. Burlatex just popped up on my radar wuth the BC Sr. .

Thanks Andy for the weight mention. It makes sense if you think about it. Funny how slab weight can alter the overall feel of a knife.

I typically avoid G10 for that reason. It's tough but a little heavier.

I thought I would dig this thread up to see if someone could post up some close up differences between the 2. Fiddleback Fiddleback , when you were referring to the Burlatex being less porous was that something on a microscopic level or less of the little half air bubbles? I think I have and like both so it is really not that important for my needs on what the label is but when posting pictures to instagram or elsewhere it is nice to give credit to the proper maker.

I have now handled and owned knives with both Shadetree and Burlatex handles. I'm a big fan of micartas, so I'm really liking the qualities of Burlatex. The differences aren't huge, but noticeable enough.

Also, Glenn, the owner of Burlatex, is hilarious. I got to hang out with him in "The Pit" after Blade Show. He has some great stories.

So I put the burlap fiddleback knives that have together and the most distinctive thing that I noticed is that with 2 the sanding seems to sand off the threads in the burlap more leaving a flatter look with bigger but less pours that my naked eyes with glasses can see (Burlatex) and the other 2 it seems that the material between the threads gets removed a little more letting the threads sit higher than the space between between them with more pours that are smaller that my naked eyes with glasses could not see (Shade tree). If this is just some random anomaly that I am noticing please chime in here. I never really bothered to try to figure this out because they both feel very similar but having said that I like the feel of the Burlatex better. The exception is the blueberry burlap from shade tree is my favorite (not shown). Hopefully this helps, my eyes are not what they used to be so I am glad I did this.

Burlatex
BA69D3A3-140B-4FA7-88A8-F5061141BD2A.JPG AC264247-4C91-43BE-AD3B-F90790AC35CD.JPG

Shade tree
62D57A8E-C50D-4DCF-96E8-2151178592E2.JPG 46FC711C-234D-4157-B759-DDA6F8EE4810.JPG

Back