Burner tip material

I pulled my burner from the forge to plug the burner port for an anneal and the tip has lost about an inch of material and is crumbly (covered in scale). Is there a material or fitting I could us for the tips to help them last longer?

Thanks

First let me say that I have not tried this.
I assume that coating the exposed end of the burner with any of the ceramic coatings made to reduceoxidation during heat treating should help, but I'm not sure of how long it would stay in place. A coating of Satanite or similar hi temp cement might also work.

That being said, you are the first person I've heard of having problems burning the ends off their burners. I suspect your burners are sticking past the insulation and are constantly in the forge cavity.
Jim A

The end of the burner should be just about even with the forge chamber. If you make the burner port through the insulation properly lined with refractory and flared out as it comes to the chamber wall, the burner can be places about 1/2" to 3/4" back from the chamber.

That said, the end will slowly get burned up. Stainless steel may last longer. Installing a ceramic burner tube that goes all the way to the chamber will also make the burner last longer.

I am getting ready to experiment with making some burners with ceramic tubes that slide on the end of the burner … sort of a ceramic flare.

Stainless helps considerably with the life of the burner. Also, not using a flare greatly extends the life of the burner. Flares will get bright orange real quick, without a flare my burners get a little orange at the very tip.

I made some titanium burners a good while back ….but never use one because I realized the metal will start to burn around 1100F/600C. A running forge with a flame in the titanium tube would turn them into white powder in short order.

When I was searching for a supplier of ceramic TC tubes, I found a manufacturer in China that supplies all sorts of alumina tubing in pretty much any size you want. I realized the perfect solution would be a ceramic burner sitting in a ceramic burner tube. More on this next year after some experimentation.

joppaglass.com sells ceramic burners and venturies among many other things. Make a burner cone out of rammable plastic (a very tough hitemp refractory). Dudley Gibberson is THE MAN when it comes to getting things hot.

Back