Burr on new Camillus knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNK

I made an impulse buy on ebay and picked up a 3 bladed Camillus pocket knife. The listing said it was never sharpened and had the factory edge. When I looked at the edges with a magnifiying glass, the grind lines look very uniform and even, like they may be factory. However, every blade has a very noticeable rough burr along the entire edge. Is this common in mass produced factory blades? This is probably only the third pocket knife I've bought new or NOS and the other two (SAK and Schrade) didn't have edges like this.

sometimes a few production knives slip by that have a crappy edge. i have seen this on many knives that have been sent to me for sharpening. just strop the edge to remove the burr and use it :D.

I've seen this before with new knives from more than one manufacturer. It's actually a better problem than one that isn't ground to the edge and takes less time to fix. - Ed j

I would have to say (from my experience) that burrs of varying magnitude are pretty common from most of the manufacturers... and Ed is exactly right. It's better than having a bevel that hasn't been taken down to the edge. (At least on one side.)

Not so uncommon as other wrote. I think that a little stropping with the green paste might solve the problem. Mike

Not so uncommon as other wrote. I think that a little stropping with the green paste might solve the problem. Mike

Well, the green paste should work if the edge is otherwise properly honed and all it needs to be "finished" is some wispy burr removal.

If not, it will most likely need honing with a more abrasive grit to get the two bevels to meet in a "V" rather than the blunter and (unfortunately) commonplace "U"

Very common, with some makers in particular. Usually easy to fix by stropping or, if that doesn't quite get it done, a few edge-leading passes on a ceramic hone will clean it up.

I have a large Case sodbuster that came with just such a burr (several Case knives, actually). As previously mentioned, so long as the bevel itself is good, I don't worry about the burrs. The edge bevel on my Case soddie was as close to ideal as I've seen on any knife. Once the burr was cleaned up, and the edge stropped just a little, it's perfect. And I paid all of $13 for it.

Last edited:
Even with the burr it looks to be a great knife for all of $20 including shipping. Will be even batter after I clean it like you all suggested. I might have to use the EF DMT on it before I strop it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back