Burton on Forged in Fire

A good friend of mine was a contestant on Forged in Fire, this evening. Burton Harruff apprenticed at my shop over a dozen years ago. After working with me for some months learning how to forge blades, Burton went back home and forged a hundred blades over the next three months. He got quite good quite fast.
One of the tools Burton took on the show was his Bubble Jig; it's how he learned to grind and he can turn out accurate blades very quickly. The Forged in Fire folks even gave the Bubble Jig some air time. It is much appreciated.
To Burton, good seeing you on Forged in Fire, you're a winner in my book.

Fred

I saw that and grinned, thinking, "I know where that came from."
Burton told me he was interviewed by the local papers where they ask about the "fixture" Bubble Jig along with the folks that put on the show. They are allowed 5 personal tools, such as hammers and tongs; well Burton learned to grind, using a Bubble Jig he grinds all blades using one.. He ask me about this and I told him to grind the logo off the surface and then present it to the show producers. He even showed them our web site. After a bit of discussion the producers agreed the Bubble Jig was just another tool used in the knife shop.
Burton said the young man on the far right was very skilled no matter his age. He's made friends out of doing this and to me, that is what it's all about. I did raise hell with him about heat treatment around the holes along the spine, an obvious place of concern when it comes to stress risers. ha ha He said he knew it just got lost in the mad rush to finish.
Burton's a skilled person he had many of the skills needed in knife making before he delved into blade work. Keep your eye on his work. There is a lot of potential there, Fred

Yes, I worried both blades might break with that many potential stress riser locations. I would have recommended using a torch on each hole post HT.

I just saw the episode this morning. Burton did a good job, just those darn stress risers. Burton is right, the young man on right was very skilled and turned in some good looking knives.

Fred, he did a good job using your Bubble Jig - that should generate some sales for you. Why did you suggest grinding the logo off? Couldn't really see it anyway on the show. I do agree, the Bubble Jig should be considered "just another tool" for a bladesmith.

Ken H>

I saw that as well when the daughter and I watched it last night, I told her that I knew where that came from and that I had one. Great tool.

Back