bush knife/ kitchen knife wear is the line

As any of you that have seen a picture of me know I am a food guy! When the kids came and the nights out became less and less frequent I was forced to become a kitchen guy. When I started making knives I wanted to make kitchen knives but I could not fined any one to apprentice with that made kitchen knives, so I made bushcraft knives. It was great working with Andy Roy and then later Dylan Fletcher and in hind sight it was better that I learned to make field knives/out door knives because it has helped me look at kitchen knives defiantly then most makers. I have never forgot about making kitchen knives and now that I am established I have started working with a group of chef's to refine my kitchen blades.

Below is an article I wrote for E2E about a disconnect I have seen in the knife community that I do not fully understand, I would be glad if some of you would share your thoughts on this may be y'all have seen something I missed.

thanks

Dan
http://equip2endure.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=1476ae9123004721844f492a7f56f285

Interesting article Dan.. And I think there is a trend of knifemakers moving to making kitchen knives as well as there bread and butter style (ha ha) . I was asked by my Mother to make her a kitchen knife. I do a fair amount of forging so I took to the anvil and pounded out a nice thin knife that I am still working on now. But as I have been working on it I did notice that a lot of makers are offering Chef knives more so now than just this time last year. So ya I think there is a trend coming.

daisy cutter that is hight praise thank you! if a knife works as well in the field as it dose in the kitchen then it is both well designed and well made thank you.

marko3 some of it is fads they come and they go, but I think it has more to do with education. As users learn or should I say relearn what makes a good knife, why and why it is important they are learning that "if I need a good field knife to use some of the time then I need a good knife in the kitchen to use all the time" the kitchen knife is the unsung hero of the kitchen. I can't tell you the number of times I have been to someone house that has spent all kinds if money on a viking rang but have some off brand cheep steel , poorly ,balanced set of knives in their block. I have come to find you can learn more about a person by what knife is in their kitchen as what knife is on their hip. Pleas post the pics of your knife as you work on it! I love seeing what other makers are doing

daisy cutter that is hight praise thank you! if a knife works as well in the field as it dose in the kitchen then it is both well designed and well made thank you.

marko3 some of it is fads they come and they go, but I think it has more to do with education. As users learn or should I say relearn what makes a good knife, why and why it is important they are learning that "if I need a good field knife to use some of the time then I need a good knife in the kitchen to use all the time" the kitchen knife is the unsung hero of the kitchen. I can't tell you the number of times I have been to someone house that has spent all kinds if money on a viking rang but have some off brand cheep steel , poorly ,balanced set of knives in their block. I have come to find you can learn more about a person by what knife is in their kitchen as what knife is on their hip. Pleas post the pics of your knife as you work on it! I love seeing what other makers are doing

The third knife down was my first attempt at a kitchen knife. I ended up having to take the point back which threw off the whole knife. As I was grinding it I found a void from when I forged in the tip. I really did not have a plan when I was doing it. I am going to sit down and look at some kitchen knives and try and do another one that I can be satisfied with. I have to send this off to mothers Bed and Breakfast to see if the girls can use it. Hate to toss it out. The other knives are a couple of bushcrafters I made and a little skinner that I am getting ready to heat treat.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 23
Mark I think that will be very useful, it shares a similar shape with Dan's trail hiker. I got to lay hands on one of your skinners the other day that Chad had, very cool. I'm sure he'll put it to good use

Back