Bushcraft community hate towards non-bushcraft knives? What's up with this bushcraft craze? 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you can use a knife for bushcraft, just don't call it a bushcraft knife. Did I get it?
You can call it so if you want, no one cares about that. Just don't try to use your definition what it should be from your personal experience because it is a very board spectrum of activities, possible usage and preference.
Since virtually any outdoor knife can be bush-craft, either there is none or all of them are.

No you can't because bushcraft doesn't exist and therefore bushcraft knives don't exist.

It was just a dream all along.

Sorry, D dogstar ole Hound here is continuing to have cognitive impairment around the concept that some of us would rather call "bushcraft" activities by their original names (camping as a term is vastly older than "bushcraft", as an example), and he feels we're wrong for not wanting to use his favorite marketing term instead. When asked to explain in what way a "bushcraft knife" could do things that other knives could not do in camping or wood carving, he instead chose to try to move the goalposts by talking about some other knife (which ironically can still do all the things his precious "bushcraft knives" can do). Ouch, that had to be a painful realization, eh? LOL

This has been explained to him, but he's intensely angry and personally hurt that we aren't all using (and honoring) his chosen terminology, so he's just saying dumb things at this point. Sorry you had to see this, but that's how some folks are. Ah well!

The activities exist. They have always existed since man has been on this Earth. Bushcraft is simply a new marketing name and ploy to suck you into thinking that you need something that already exists. Those things are called knives and have existed for a long time, and playing in the woods which has also been around for a few years.
Yes, there has always been woodcraft, campcraft, survival training etc. The part that is new is what is claimed to be a specialized tool for the job.
This current bushcraft definition started back in the late 1970s in the UK. "Bushcraft" was the British terminology for what Americans called woodcraft or camp craft. The whole thing began with British military veterans (SAS etc) teaching survival classes to civilians, and promoting what was called the "MOD aircrew survival knife" for universal bushcraft activities. The MOD was a fairly large slab sided thing with a scandi grind, renowned for its ability to take a licking (this is also the beginnings of the "batoning" concept).
Naturally the Scandi grind MOD knife was in demand, but it was a bit big for some. Enter Ray Mears and Alan Woods, and Rays classic Woodlore knife, which was probably the first of its kind. Ray Mears was a survivalist, and opened a school where he taught "bushcraft skills". Of course, his knife was talked up as being the best tool for the job, don't bother with anything else. The Woodlore became wildly popular with the bushcraft crowd as a result, and still is today judging by the prices on the secondary market. Everybody was soon making their own version of the Woodlore, and it has become the "standard" of bushcraft knife design due to on-line marketing, on Youtube, FB and any other site where wannabees could be influenced. So, here we are, with a "new interpretation" of bushcraft driven by the internet and those who believe everything they see there is gospel.

some of us would rather call "bushcraft" activities by their original names (camping as a term is vastly older than "bushcraft", as an example),

Shouldn't you be speaking in Olde English from many centuries past the way you rage so hard about words changing....doth, thou etc.

Yes, there has always been woodcraft, campcraft, survival training etc. The part that is new is what is claimed to be a specialized tool for the job.
This current bushcraft definition started back in the late 1970s in the UK. "Bushcraft" was the British terminology for what Americans called woodcraft or camp craft. The whole thing began with British military veterans (SAS etc) teaching survival classes to civilians, and promoting what was called the "MOD aircrew survival knife" for universal bushcraft activities. The MOD was a fairly large slab sided thing with a scandi grind, renowned for its ability to take a licking (this is also the beginnings of the "batoning" concept).
Naturally the Scandi grind MOD knife was in demand, but it was a bit big for some. Enter Ray Mears and Alan Woods, and Rays classic Woodlore knife, which was probably the first of its kind. Ray Mears was a survivalist, and opened a school where he taught "bushcraft skills". Of course, his knife was talked up as being the best tool for the job, don't bother with anything else. The Woodlore became wildly popular with the bushcraft crowd as a result, and still is today judging by the prices on the secondary market. Everybody was soon making their own version of the Woodlore, and it has become the "standard" of bushcraft knife design due to on-line marketing, on Youtube, FB and any other site where wannabees could be influenced. So, here we are, with a "new interpretation" of bushcraft driven by the internet and those who believe everything they see there is gospel.
It is like saying that it is specialized in being a generalist... which makes little sense.

Shouldn't you be speaking in Olde English from many centuries past the way you rage so hard about words changing....doth, thou etc.
I have to confess that I love how angry you are at not having been able to effectively argue a single point, so you keep trying to purposely misconstrue the arguments I and others have made. Your ineffectiveness has been a source of great amusement. It's clear to me that this dogged determination to force us to accept your team's marketing term as "this is what it's called now, accept it" has been because you don't really know anything else other than what your favorite YouBoobers have taught you. When was the last time you even spent a night outside? What knife did you have with you? LOL Just kidding, I know you won't answer either of those questions.

You would have to ask Quiet Quiet I'm fine with language evolving over time. Other folks can not accept it poor bassids. Life must be hard for them, new words all the time drivin em nuts.

"Poor bassids"? Is that a personal insult? I realize that you're just pounding your keyboard at your ineffectiveness at your team's attempt to rebrand camping, firemaking, and woodcarving as something new, but sorry, it's not going to happen. It seems to me that with your super singed feelings, maybe you'd be better off over on BushcraftUSA or some other forum.

Next time we go camping I’m going to spend the entire time messing around with a knife and taking Instagram photos. I will tell my wife that I’m “bushcrafting.” I will record her reaction.

Next time we go camping I’m going to spend the entire time messing around with a knife and taking Instagram photos. I will tell my wife that I’m “bushcrafting.” I will record her reaction.

Don't post any pics here, like to give Quiet Quiet a heart attack.

"There is no such thing as

Bushcraft community !!!​

Period"

Really I don't know nearly enough on the subject but I find that hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back