Bushcraft Folder - new for 2017

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
All the wrinkles have been ironed out. All the timelines figured out. All the details worked out. It's ready to go.

Because of this I have decided to use Kickstarter to move forward with this project. This will help the process to be even more transparent than before and will enable everyone to easily track progress without having to visit other webpages, or follow order lists, etc. I will still be handling all the records, invoices, shipping, etc. and, of course, making all the knives on my own. But having it all in one place should be convenient for everyone.

Here is the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2135290208/bushcraft-folder

And here is a quick screen-cap of the new design. It is pretty much the same, just a few details have been changed and slight improvements made. It was a great design to start with, but any improvement is good IMHO.

BushcraftFolder2017.png

And here is the anticipated timeline with extra time added as padding:

KickStarterBushcraftFolderTimeLine.png

Feel free to ask any related questions about this project. I've tried to put as much information as possible on the Kickstarter page itself, so look there first and then come here if I have missed anything.

Thanks for your interest!

Last edited:
I never had an actual waiting list for the folder. It was pre-order only, meaning it was "first dibs" on the official wait list. That came and went and this is how I'm running things now. That said, anybody wanting a folder is welcome to join the kickstarter. No funds are charged until the funding date (11/23 in this case) and only if the goal is met. That way, if I don't have enough requests for it, I won't bother making anyone wait on a list for it. Things are going to change a little for me now that I've had a couple years of working mostly full-time making knives. I've learned a lot and have ironed out quite a few wrinkles.
Hope that makes sense.

I joined the Kickstarter today. Thanks for the opportunity.
Could you please detail what are the design changes compared to the old version?

Sure thing. I upsized the blade and handle a little bit to get the blade closer to 4" (comes in at 3.95" to the front of the handle as well as to the beginning of the edge). The backspacer has a "cutout" now where the lanyard tube is. The blade is slightly taller than before. The cutout for accessing the lockbar was redesigned slightly (more aligning than fixing). The spot on the lockbar that is milled is smaller. The bottom of the guard is square-ish rather than rounded (it ended up kinda being that way anyway after I was done finishing them). The long arc across the top/back of the handle (where your palm would engage the handle) is slightly longer and then arc across the back is flatter. This was done to give just that tiniest bit more handle room for those XXL-handed guys. I'm not exagerating/boasting when I say this handle fits S/M/L/XL hands - it really does. This was a huge part of my design and testing - to make sure anybody could pick this up and use it. Same thing for the placement of the palm swell. I've gone through a bunch of prototypes. Also, my way of making fixed-blade knives changed because of all the work I put into making these folders. I am now getting the handle 80-90% finished before glue-up/pressing. My system is much more accurate now and more repeatable. Thanks for asking!

Back