Bushcraft Knife challenge - Interest?

Yea he slipped in under the radar on us, I noticed the other day that someone mentioned that he had entered. He makes a clean blade for sure. This contest just gets bigger and better all the time. :thumbup:

I guess you can call it slipping under the radar.

I have never really been able to make quick prototypes and have them heat treated in a short time frame. A lot has changed since I got my own heat treating equipment. If and when time allows I can have a knife cranked out within a matter of days. :thumbup:

Decided to submit my prototype Choil-less BT4 the same week I got in my HT Furnace which came in a few weeks ago.

I see lots of finely executed knives in the mix. Really looking forward to seeing the pros and cons of each design.

I guess you can call it slipping under the radar.

I have never really been able to make quick prototypes and have them heat treated in a short time frame. A lot has changed since I got my own heat treating equipment. If and when time allows I can have a knife cranked out within a matter of days. :thumbup:

Decided to submit my prototype Choil-less BT4 the same week I got in my HT Furnace which came in a few weeks ago.

I see lots of finely executed knives in the mix. Really looking forward to seeing the pros and cons of each design.

Ban, I'm glad your in!

I look forward to testing you knife.

Big Mike

Will the results be posted on this thread?

Update.

I think we are rolling through the knives now that the hollidays are over. The winter storm set Big Mike back a little do to the nature of his business, but he will be busting through 6 more knives this weekend. Marcelo and I are about done! I would say all the knives should be tested in about 2 weeks if we are lucky.
Rescue Riley has had allot of issues as of late, and has yet to touch a knife. So I am thinking it will be just Marcelo, Big Mike and I as testers. I would love to have John in on this as he is definately a guy that gets out and uses knives, but I guess he will have to go through life thinking Moras are the thing to beat..

Anyway, here are some pics since you hguys have been so good.

Will the results be posted on this thread?

We have been delayed by a couple of Winter Storms. 3 storms in 3 weeks .
Marcelo, Big Mike, and I just got another 30" of snow last night....

We are working on finishing up the last few knives. So no, results will not be posted that soon. However, your knife and about 6 others are about ready to be shipped back.

Marcelo and I just have to do some food prep with them and then you will be contacted for return shipping.

Thank you all for your patience.

Hope you all are fairing ok with the weather brother. Thats alot of snow you have been handed.

Im looking forward to your reviews and impressions. I value your opinion.:thumbup: sometimes. ;):D

Hope you all are fairing ok with the weather brother. Thats alot of snow you have been handed.

Im looking forward to your reviews and impressions. I value your opinion.:thumbup: sometimes. ;):D

It was a sick amount of snow, and having all the other snow from the last 2 storms has made it very difficult to find a place to put it.

However, it was pretty funny when my dog jumped in from the back portch and literally dissapeared in the snow..:D

That much snow, eh? Sounds like a bit of a setback, but it sounds like you have done well with all things considered. Looking forward to the results.

We have been delayed by a couple of Winter Storms. 3 storms in 3 weeks .
Marcelo, Big Mike, and I just got another 30" of snow last night....
Have you ever considered moving somewhere with more clement weather... like Maine? LOL! I only got about eight inches today from the same storm that you guys got last night.

i posted this in the gallery thread like a jerk so let's try this again here! sorry again for that mistake...
i am not sure if this has been established or not, i looked through all of the pictures and am amazed at the work being done here. personally i couldn't go wrong with any of them. jumping in so late into this thing, i was wondering about two things though.
1- could a post be made with contact information for all of these maker's? i know it's a test but it's also advertising, and it's working on me! haha i'd love to find out more about their work and such.
2- will the cost of these knives be listed or taken into consideration at some point? i know we want them to be tested based purely on how good they are what their intended purpose, but for me atleast (and i'm sure others) bang for your buck unfortunetly is a big part of purchasing even my custom knives. if the best knife costs 1000$ then it's still useless to me.
sorry if these have been answered already. but between this thread and the first one challenging them there is TONS to read and i haven't gotten to it all yet. since i'm on my iphone looking at this at work haha.
thank you

I think most, if not all, of the selling makers have knifemaker memberships and you cna email or pm directly that way.

I agree that a master list of email/website would be good.

I don't recall if there's a pricing element included, I don't think I sent that info in.....

Price shouldn't really be considered, in my opinion. That doesn't answer what the better knife is in any way. If the winning knife is $1000, and the second is $200, just because the winner is 1K, it doesn't mean the second place knife just sucks. I doubt any of them would do you wrong, really.

Price shouldn't really be considered, in my opinion. That doesn't answer what the better knife is in any way. If the winning knife is $1000, and the second is $200, just because the winner is 1K, it doesn't mean the second place knife just sucks. I doubt any of them would do you wrong, really.

I could not agree more. I was just being slightly selfish. This test does help decide what knife is "best". It just doesnt necessarily decide which is best for ME haha because price matters to me. I was just curious is anyone else felt the same. I will be contacting some of these makers regardless.

I could not agree more. I was just being slightly selfish. This test does help decide what knife is "best". It just doesnt necessarily decide which is best for ME haha because price matters to me. I was just curious is anyone else felt the same. I will be contacting some of these makers regardless.

To be honest, best will vary from person to person. Everyone has a different taste. Even if the winner is a more expensive blade, that certain blade will not appeal to everyone. It is ultimately up to the user to determine which is the best for them. ;)

To be honest, best will vary from person to person. Everyone has a different taste. Even if the winner is a more expensive blade, that certain blade will not appeal to everyone. It is ultimately up to the user to determine which is the best for them. ;)

Again you're right. Plus to be fair atleast the makers I know here all have reasonable prices and then some!!
You have changed my mind. Thanks for that. I'd still love a master list with contact info if possible however. I think it would benefit all.

Good points my friend.

All the knives are winners,

...as are the knifemakers for stepping up to the challange.

The majority of the knives perform very well, more then a single winner, the performance testing will show that some blades work better then others, but much of the scoring is more subjective; the cream of the crop will rise to the top.

So much of what makes a knife a favorite is how well it works for you.

The thing that strikes me is how the bulk of the knives in the challange do not look like "classic" bushcraft knives, yet they work so well in the bushcraft arena. As I suspected going in, this challange has changed my opinion of what a bushcraft knife needs to be. It has also made me re-evaluate what bushcraft really is.

Big Mike

Back