Bushcraft skills.

Land navigation skills are important and it pretty much is map based. I would say anything more than your casual dayhike at a park should involve a map unless the trail is very well used. I can think of a couple in the Smokies that are in the 4-5 mile range that a simple sketch with the trail on it is probably okay as long as you stay on or close to the trail. I personally like to look at the trail in relation to the topography as it often gives me a better feel for things. The little trail maps at state parks are okay if you know the terrain and pretty much just want to know where other trails and their names and so forth intersect. Honestly, I seldom look at the topo map unless I'm taking a rest or for some reason not sure of things. I seldom do long distance hikes. The compass comes into play even if you haven't been following closely.... you at least know quickly your directions. But that doesn't tell you how to get out.

I really actually think I would benefit from a compass. I think a few of the bigger SAKs have one. Does anyone have recommendations for a good gadget with a compass?

I would only ever recommend a dedicated compass. I know it seems like a way to save weight, but the little compasses are harder to use, and harder to be sure about. The lower quality compasses that are part of other tools are also more likely to get damaged, or have their polarity reversed. I'd go with one of the little brunton or silva baseplate compasses. You will have an easier time learning with them, you'll have a better ability to be accurate. Depending on the terrain you are in, and the size/accuracy of your map, trying to navigate with a button compass is like running in weights. Sure you can do it, but if you don't have to, why?

Same here on the compass. I would get one that you can adjust the magnetic declination on it. You can't with the really cheap button compasses that I have looked it. My use of a compass pretty much goes this way..... I look at the map of a trail and say... mostly going east (or whatever)... then never really look at it again unless I get my map out. If I got into trouble, I could always go "mostly west" to get out.... I know that is an over simplification, but what can I say. With the compass, you're more confident in your directions.

Many people have a short leg and walk in circles, the size of which is determined by the difference in leg length. If you use a compass to pick a heading, pick a distant object on that heading and walk to it. When you get to the object, repeat the process.

Last edited:
Many people have a short leg and walk in circles, the size of which is determined by the difference in leg length. If you use a compass to pick a heading, pick a distant object on that heading and walk to it. When you get to the object, repeat the process.
I think it's a right hand-left hand favoring more than a short leg. I know as a kid I have walked in a circle a couple of time in the woods where there are no particular landmarks and the topography is rolling hence you can't see very far ahead of you. You can certainly get twisted up in topography like this. I survived. May not have come out precisely where I thought I would, but I found my way out. This happened even in the winter.... I'm thinking, who else is out here?, those tracks are fresh? Me of course. :D

Map and compass? Yes, do that for sure. And then get a Garmin GPS, the right maps for the areas you will be hiking and spare batteries. Next best thing to sliced bread.

Maps only work if you can actually figure out where you are. The compass will only help you to get the map correctly oriented and help avoid walking in circles (walking in a certain direction), but will not tell you where you are. You need to identify visual references. If you are in a dense forrest, you are screwed. If you are into deep fog or at night, it will not help you.

Do not rely on the SAK compass, or any button compass for that matter. Get yourself a dedicated map compass (RECTA or SILVA) and a book to learn how to use it.

Seriously, carry map and compass, and know your basics. But GET a DEDICATED GPS. And now that we are at it, if you hike remote locations, get yourself a SPOT personal beacon (with the capability to communicate through the GPS satelite uplinks to send your possition and HELP ME messages pretty much anywhere on earth.

And regarding other basic skills, just start going out on your own for day hikes and see what you like. Summer and spring is easier on you due to better weather and lack of snow.

No book is going to teach you all you need to know.

GPS is pretty reliable. Spot is pretty good. I've had enough failures with both that neither are the only thing I rely on, just another link in the chain, and one I don't put too much weight on. Useful, yes, but not perfect. It is likely that they are both more reliable in CONUS than here down under, but they should never be used as a safety net to let you wander too far past where your skills and experience are. IMHO, some decent battery discipline and any decent mid/low end smart phone is as good if not better than any of the GPS units on the market. Yes the battery on the GPS is going to be longer, and the unit will be more rugged, but for most people, a Moto E and a decent plastic bag are going to be as good as I think most people should rely on GPS for. If the GPS becomes a woobie, as a rookie it will cause you to do things that you should not, which can end badly. (Anything can, really, but lets play where the odds are good yeah?)

My main use for the GPS is the following:
  • Getting somewhere I have never been before, usually at night, for an early start in an alpine climb. Usuall ocurrence in winter for ice climbs and winter for snow gullies. If there are fresh tracks from previous days is all good, but if not, having a downloaded track (say from Wikilock) really helps. Otherwise you have to burn one weekend to do the aproach in daylight hours and then come another weekend for the climb (now that you know your way you can come at night).
  • Comming back to the car or hut in the event something goes reallly really south weather wise (snow blizzard, fog, wind that erases tracks).
  • Alert rescue teams about your precise location if you have to call them. Nothing like calling for help and not being able to tell them where you are.

Map and compass is ok to have, but not truly usefull for my circumstances.

Mikel

I've Ive never heard of the, "short leg circle syndrome". That's out there.

The test for short leggedness is to stand on the center of a football field goal line facing the opposite goal. Walk towards the opposite goal blindfolded. Around 1/2 of the participants will be out of bounds before they reach the opposite goal. This is a repeatable test. You can play with lifts to straighten your vector.

The test for short leggedness is to stand on the center of a football field goal line facing the opposite goal. Walk towards the opposite goal blindfolded. Around 1/2 of the participants will be out of bounds before they reach the opposite goal. This is a repeatable test. You can play with lifts to straighten your vector.

No thanks.

Maps only work if you can actually figure out where you are. The compass will only help you to get the map correctly oriented and help avoid walking in circles (walking in a certain direction), but will not tell you where you are. You need to identify visual references. If you are in a dense forrest, you are screwed. If you are into deep fog or at night, it will not help you.
If you can't sort out where you are on a proper topo sheet, you shouldn't be out there to begin with.

Seriously, carry map and compass, and know your basics. But GET a DEDICATED GPS. And now that we are at it, if you hike remote locations, get yourself a SPOT personal beacon (with the capability to communicate through the GPS satelite uplinks to send your possition and HELP ME messages pretty much anywhere on earth.
In my nearly 50 decades trapsing through the woods I've never owned or carried a GPS. Don't plan on doing so now. I'll stick with good map sheets, compass, and knowing the declination in the area I in.

Last edited:
If you can't sort out where you are on a proper topo sheet, you shouldn't be out there to begin with.

In my nearly 50 decades trapsing through the woods I've never owned or carried a GPS. Don't plan on doing so now. I'll stick with good map sheets, compass, and knowing the declination in the area I in.

You've been walking the woods for 500 years??? :eek:
Ladies and gents, don't go to the woods with leghog; he is obviously a vampire. ;)

I know my ways arround compass and topo sheet, but again, at night or with 0 visibility (fog, blizzard, etc.) where you cannot get any visual references, you are basically screwed.

When there is no snow on the ground, everywhere I go I will probably find trails, or on rocky areas, rub marks. Or even when doing alpine climbing, I would find abandoned gear, abseiling stations or whatever. But with snow, everything changes. Everything I mentioned is gone under the snow, there could be no tracks at all.

I usually don't go arround with my eyes stuck to the GPS just like a milenial stuck to his cellphone. I just switch it on, put it in a pocket or backpack strap and forget about it. If anything goes south, I could at least backtrack to the car (just following the tiny dots on the screen).

But hey! to each his own! I am just suggesting it is just another piece of gear that could come handy.

Mikel

Dirt time. Go out. Have fun. Pick a few (three) skills to practice for the summer and get competent with them. Then practice them this winter. Repeat next year. Try new regions. Desert in Four Corners, alpine, eastern grasslands, Colorado has a lot to offer. You'll be a skills monster in no time.

As for the gurus, they're not going to make you a superhero, because they're not superheroes. But they often serve as foci for groups of people who are practicing together and building their skills.

BTW, did you cut your hair? Looks good.

Zieg

Back