Bushcraft / survival / camp knife , what's your favorite ?

I went with a 4.1 and a 6. I hate choils. I feel like I have the best of both worlds and if I had to have just one, it would be the 4.1. To me, a knife is more for processing game, small woodworking, cutting things. The 6 is more for chopping, processing kindling, etc. I usually take it with me when I'm in the woods with a chainsaw. Other than that I use an axe.

I was using the 4.1 until I got the 5.1. It seems to do everything the 4.1 could do and then some. So sticking with the 5.1 for now. I keep the 3.5 handy also. Sold the 4.1 and set the $ aside for the 4.1 scandi.

Well it seems that I lucked out with my 5 . Most of you seem partial to the 4.1 to 5.1 size and since I've moved away from the 6 to 8 inch camp knives my 5 is right in the sweet spot .
Oh and today the Necker II I picked up on the exchange arrived :D ..........................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................................................
....................... "but what about the 4.1?".................................... DAMN that little voice :mad:

Well it seems that I lucked out with my 5 . Most of you seem partial to the 4.1 to 5.1 size and since I've moved away from the 6 to 8 inch camp knives my 5 is right in the sweet spot .
Oh and today the Necker II I picked up on the exchange arrived :D ..........................................................................
....................... "but what about the 4.1?".................................... DAMN that little voice :mad:

I'd be interested in your take on the 4.1 vs the 5. You might need to grind of the heel-flare of the 4.1 to improve handle-comfort, but afterward it'd be great to hear your opinion on the weight/size difference and utility of each. I think that the 5.1 is the best for "all-around" use in terms of the variety of tasks for which it is suited, but I'd rather have my GSO-10 for chopping and the 3.5 or 4.1 for small tasks. Would you find more utility with the 5 or with the 4.1 and a +8" blade...
And i think there are still some factory 2nd & lottery 4.1's available at quite low prices for what you get...

That little voice can be very reasonable.

I'd REALLY like to try out a 4.1 and see what it's like . I'm sure it would be a great knife because I think the 5/32" blade thickness is just right for that size knife . The 5/32" even works on the Necker II because the blade "height" is enough to allow the cutting edge to still be nice and thin . I'm really liking your old Necker II by the way . It's my new EDC !

I have a loop style lanyard on my 5 than I can put my hand through and then choke it up around my wrist with a sliding bead . This allows me to grip the knife quite far back on the handle for chopping small branches or pointing sticks for shelter poles or what have you . I have a Silky folding saw that is lighter and shorter when folded than a large chopper knife , so I have it in my pack and the 5 on my belt . The saw will cut a larger size piece of wood much faster and easier that a large knife and if I need to split it then the 5 can be batoned .

But yeah , I can't seem to get that 4.1 out of my head . So I guess I'll have to give Survive a call once they get themselves setup again and pick up one of those 2nds . It WOULD be nice compare the two side by side at the same tasks and see where each excels .

Great point chiral, that's what I was trying to get at, I see it like this. A chef doesn't go into the the kitchen with just one knife to cook dinner for 100's of people, being in the woods isn't much different.

I think when these tools are "paired" for use tasks you do get a much wider range of task capability, the 3.5-6 and the 10 seem to pair really well, so far at least. Depending on what you're trying to get done with em of course.

Back