Bushfinger vs bushhermit

Hi- I am hoping to buy a Fiddleback knife soon and wondering if I can get some advise about models.
I do some bush-crafting, such as batoning, fire starting, and a little carving and wondering whether either the bushfinger, bush hermit, ke bushie, or kephart would be the better knife for me.
I have medium size hands, definitely not large. Is the bush hermit's handle liable to be too large for me? Is the ke bushie too small a knife?
All great knives, but I can only afford one.
Any advise would be appreciated!

All excellent knives you mentioned. I have them all and no complaints. You say you have a medium sized hand. I feel the KEB might be your huckleberry. It would handle bushcraft and carving but probably not HD batoning (maybe some smaller stuff) Attached is a link that talks more about the design. Would maybe need to keep a camp knife on hand or one of the larger models for larger batoning chores. Just my two cents. Good luck in your search!!

Thanks for your thoughts.

The KE Bushie seems really nice.
The only concern I might have is the lack of much choil or guard. Hopefully one's hand wouldn't slip too far forward.
Do you think this is a valid concern?

IMO I don't worry too much about that. The Bushfinger is a guardless type blade profile as well. Have you seen the Arete? That has a nice spear point type blade and the handle is what the KEB is similar to. The Arete has a guard if that is something of concern. here are a few pictures. I just keep leaning this way due to the medium size hand grip you referred to.

jtq5huD.jpg

JgA9Bvv.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts.

The KE Bushie seems really nice.
The only concern I might have is the lack of much choil or guard. Hopefully one's hand wouldn't slip too far forward.
Do you think this is a valid concern?
Since , as you say you've done some bush craf ting, likely you already have established some muscle memory and safety practices. I don't usually do batonning without gloves. Not to try to sway you towards knives without guards or choil, a lot of members here have mechanically removed guards. I agree with Choppaman Choppaman about the KE Bushie. I do own one. It's a great all around medium sized bush craft knife.

IMO I don't worry too much about that. The Bushfinger is a guardless type blade profile as well. Have you seen the Arete? That has a nice spear point type blade and the handle is what the KEB is similar to. The Arete has a guard if that is something of concern. here are a few pictures. I just keep leaning this way due to the medium size hand grip you referred to.

jtq5huD.jpg

JgA9Bvv.jpg
Yes, the Arete seems like a really nice kephart. I will add that to my list. I don't see much difference between the Kephart and the Arete?
Do you prefer the Arete?
And do you feel that the bushfinger is best for larger hands?
Thanks!

I grabbed a few of each of these models out and was checking. I actually have a few Bushfingers for sale right now that are really similar in handle circumference. You could probably get along just fine with that model. Check them out in the flea market. Let me know if I can help out with either of those. I will warn you. Once you get one, you’ll get more. LOL.

if you want one of the bigger models that you mentioned, there's no comparison to the Hermit.
Completely agree here Bmurray Bmurray The BH and BC line up are my favs of the Fiddleback Forge knives. Ultimately I think you couldn’t go wrong with any of the models you put out there. Look for a few users out there on the flea market or eBay? Spend the money you would on one new one for a couple users. Test them out. I think you’ll find yourself looking for more afterwards. And it’s always nice to have a smaller companion knife too. Like a hiking buddy or handyman. So many great ones out there. :thumbsup:

if you want one of the bigger models that you mentioned, there's no comparison to the Hermit.
Are you saying that the hermit is a superior knife to the other larger knives I mentioned, like the kephart and the bushfinger?
If so, how so?
It looks to have the largest handle.

Completely agree here Bmurray Bmurray The BH and BC line up are my favs of the Fiddleback Forge knives. Ultimately I think you couldn’t go wrong with any of the models you put out there. Look for a few users out there on the flea market or eBay? Spend the money you would on one new one for a couple users. Test them out. I think you’ll find yourself looking for more afterwards. And it’s always nice to have a smaller companion knife too. Like a hiking buddy or handyman. So many great ones out there. :thumbsup:
As you have probably realized I am pretty new to this blade forum. In the past I have purchased knives online or at gun shops. However, with makers like Fiddleback, these options do not exist.

Perhaps naively, I had figured that I would wait for the Friday sales and buy a Fiddleback knife when the right knife came along. However, I am now wondering if this strategy is unlikely to work?

Looking back at their past offerings I realized I would have to be patient to wait for a suitable knife, but I'm now wondering if the knives get scarfed up so fast that I will be unlikely to purchase one?

Is there a secondary market of folks with large Fiddleback collections where I will likely have to purchase a knife? And, if so, is it mainly at the flea market?

I have always bought knifes in new condition, and would have a hard time buying one that no longer retains its initial sharpened edge.

Perhaps I will need to adjust my thinking, as I do intend on buying a Fiddleback knife.

Any information or links to info on these questions would be very much appreciated.

And, I would be interested in knowing more about the osage BF, ie., what year it was produced and what condition it is in.

Also, if you think that I ought to post my questions in a new post, please let me know.

Thanks,

Algernon

Let me start by saying there is no "wrong" decision with the knives you are looking at. Like Zeppelin albums, listening to III instead of Physical Graffiti is not a "bad" decision, both are great in their own ways. Similar to Fiddlebacks, all the knives you mentioned have differences but all are great in their own ways. Nobody would say it was a wrong decision to grab a Bushfinger over a Hermit or KE Bushie. Much of it comes down to personal preference. I would not get hung up on the hand size, all the knives you are looking at are probably within 1/4" handle length. A Hermit has a more "open" end compared to a Bushie or Bushcrafter but all very close in overall size.

Take a look at this link: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fiddleback-model-specs-w-pic-reference-comparison.1467455/page-5
There are some great comparison pictures between the Bushfinger, Kephart, Bushcrafter, Tasker, and Hermit.

Also: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-bush-hermit-thread.1463960/page-7#post-18572446
Here are great comparisons of the Bushfinger, Hermit, Arete, and KE Bushie.

I personally like the KE Bushie, Hermit, Nessmuk, and Bushfinger within the 4" blade catagory. I would consider the Nessmuk and Bushfinger to be SLIGHTLY better "overall" knives if you throw food prep into the mix (wider/taller blades and the BF is guardless). The KEB and Hermit are certainly not lacking. I have been using a KEB from Choppaman Choppaman the last 18 months for small batoning, food prep, general tasks, etc. and love it. Prior to that, I used a Bushfinger and it was equally great. I recall reading on IG that Cohutta was going to take over production of the KE Bushie. If you are sold on that knife, you might want to reach out to him.

Finally, do not think twice about getting a knife from Choppaman Choppaman ! The knife will come to you in the exact same condition it left Andy's shop. He has a huge Fiddleback collection and is amazing to deal with. When he says it is new, it will be new! That Osage Bushfinger from Choppa has tempted me all week! It checks every box. Osage is an awesome material, tapered tang, love the orange pinstripes, and higher grind make it an even better slicer. Consider yourself lucky that it is still there and grab it! Just my option. Good luck and keep is posted.

Let me start by saying there is no "wrong" decision with the knives you are looking at. Like Zeppelin albums, listening to III instead of Physical Graffiti is not a "bad" decision, both are great in their own ways. Similar to Fiddlebacks, all the knives you mentioned have differences but all are great in their own ways. Nobody would say it was a wrong decision to grab a Bushfinger over a Hermit or KE Bushie. Much of it comes down to personal preference. I would not get hung up on the hand size, all the knives you are looking at are probably within 1/4" handle length. A Hermit has a more "open" end compared to a Bushie or Bushcrafter but all very close in overall size.

Take a look at this link: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fiddleback-model-specs-w-pic-reference-comparison.1467455/page-5
There are some great comparison pictures between the Bushfinger, Kephart, Bushcrafter, Tasker, and Hermit.

Also: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-bush-hermit-thread.1463960/page-7#post-18572446
Here are great comparisons of the Bushfinger, Hermit, Arete, and KE Bushie.

I personally like the KE Bushie, Hermit, Nessmuk, and Bushfinger within the 4" blade catagory. I would consider the Nessmuk and Bushfinger to be SLIGHTLY better "overall" knives if you throw food prep into the mix (wider/taller blades and the BF is guardless). The KEB and Hermit are certainly not lacking. I have been using a KEB from Choppaman Choppaman the last 18 months for small batoning, food prep, general tasks, etc. and love it. Prior to that, I used a Bushfinger and it was equally great. I recall reading on IG that Cohutta was going to take over production of the KE Bushie. If you are sold on that knife, you might want to reach out to him.

Finally, do not think twice about getting a knife from Choppaman Choppaman ! The knife will come to you in the exact same condition it left Andy's shop. He has a huge Fiddleback collection and is amazing to deal with. When he says it is new, it will be new! That Osage Bushfinger from Choppa has tempted me all week! It checks every box. Osage is an awesome material, tapered tang, love the orange pinstripes, and higher grind make it an even better slicer. Consider yourself lucky that it is still there and grab it! Just my option. Good luck and keep is posted.
Great post directed to a new A algernon BF member! I concur with everything that was said regarding my friend Choppaman Choppaman ! The best place to find Fiddleback Forge knives is unquestionably here. There’s lots of long time buyers/sellers like myself. Were it not for these guys most of us lovers of Fiddleback Fiddleback knives both new and old would not have access to these unique in the world of knives. Out of my collection ( now down to less than 100) only one, my first one, was purchased on a Fiddleback Friday!

Last edited:
Fiddlebacks tend to be ground really thin behind the point. The pointy style blades in my opinion are not good candidates for heavy batoning. The tips can and do break or even bend depending on your steel choice.

All of the knifes discussed (BH, BF, Kephart, KEB) are all excellent knives for general Bushcraft. I would just make sure and use caution if you baton are need to pry with them.

The Bushcrafter line tends to be able to take more abuse. Also I would recommend going with a thicker knife if you want to beat on it some.

One last opinion. I'm the odd man out on this one. The BH is the only FB handle that I don't like. It is to tall for my grip.

I can almost guarantee you will be happy with what ever you choose. A little patience and notifications set for the fleemarket and you should find yourself something sweet. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Thanks for everyone's sage advise.
I really ran into some good luck as Choppaman, Eric, that is, pitying my ignorance and probably figuring that I would never be able to obtain a KE Bushie on a friday night sale, sold me one.
I will be eternally grateful, and can't wait until the knife arrives.
Of course I may not be to field test the knife until I find a sheath and everywhere I have contacted either doesn't have the right size in stock or needs me to send the knife in order to make one. And that's not going to happen.
I may have to make my own?
Yikes.
Anyways, thanks for all the advise along the way.
And thanks to Andy Roy for crafting such excellent knives.

Thanks for everyone's sage advise.
I really ran into some good luck as Choppaman, Eric, that is, pitying my ignorance and probably figuring that I would never be able to obtain a KE Bushie on a friday night sale, sold me one.
I will be eternally grateful, and can't wait until the knife arrives.
Of course I may not be to field test the knife until I find a sheath and everywhere I have contacted either doesn't have the right size in stock or needs me to send the knife in order to make one. And that's not going to happen.
I may have to make my own?
Yikes.
Anyways, thanks for all the advise along the way.
And thanks to Andy Roy for crafting such excellent knives.
Check this one out

Back