Bushraptor or Reaper?

Ladies and Gents,

I have a deep and abiding love for wharnies - especially iterations with less “pointiness,” if you will. For instance CRK’s insingo variation is exceptional IMHO. At this point (haha!), I have pretty much all the blade shapes I love using for respective tasks in my growing stable of FBF users (carve; patch; handyman; arete; seax tasker; emperor).

Except I lack a good wharnie as described. To that end I have been keeping my eye out for a Bushraptor, but have yet to score. Recently, however, I have taken a look at the Reaper’s blade profile and specs, and though a tad larger, it seems to be a challenger/contender for that slot, assuming the handle-feel is right in my hand (having held and used FB’s with handles similar to that of the ‘Raptor, I am fair certain to like that handle).

Really never see either knife on the market here, but I believe I need one of the two, assuming something becomes available at some point.

Anyone out there with experience re both models? I would love to hear any informed opinions about the two options and any comparisons. Oh, being pretty new to FB’s, is there another model I have missed?

I would be near ecstatic if someone has a comparison photo! (need to check that thread again, but did not catch one in the first search)

Thanks kindly in advance for any thoughts!

So, I tried searching more generally and came up with a handful of older threads on the subject. One in General Knife Discussion had a nice pair of sequential pics of the two, but not a side-by-side.

Andy commented that the Reaper is a good deal pointier, and although I said I generally preferred less pointiness, I am liking the look of the Reaper in that regard and don’t think it is a draw back.

* Andy also commented that the two knives feel and behave very differently in hand. *

Is anyone able to elaborate on the latter or otherwise have any additional input having actually held and/or used the two models?

As well, a true side-by-side pic would be most welcome.

Thanks, friends!

The woodpecker is another sheepsfoot blade but it’s not a model they make very often.

View attachment 1370088

Yes! The Woodpecker is very nice and a good “wharncliffe to sheepsfoot” type, indeed. Thanks for that reminder. My Carver has a very similar, but not identical blade. I think I prefer the handle on the Woodpecker. (just saw a pic of an OS Woodpecker - completely different handle!)

Ladies and Gents,

I have a deep and abiding love for wharnies - especially iterations with less “pointiness,” if you will. For instance CRK’s insingo variation is exceptional IMHO. At this point (haha!), I have pretty much all the blade shapes I love using for respective tasks in my growing stable of FBF users (carve; patch; handyman; arete; seax tasker; emperor).

Except I lack a good wharnie as described. To that end I have been keeping my eye out for a Bushraptor, but have yet to score. Recently, however, I have taken a look at the Reaper’s blade profile and specs, and though a tad larger, it seems to be a challenger/contender for that slot, assuming the handle-feel is right in my hand (having held and used FB’s with handles similar to that of the ‘Raptor, I am fair certain to like that handle).

Really never see either knife on the market here, but I believe I need one of the two, assuming something becomes available at some point.

Anyone out there with experience re both models? I would love to hear any informed opinions about the two options and any comparisons. Oh, being pretty new to FB’s, is there another model I have missed?

I would be near ecstatic if someone has a comparison photo! (need to check that thread again, but did not catch one in the first search)

Thanks kindly in advance for any thoughts!

There will be a Bushraptor in this Friday's batch! ;)

I will post my new specimen when she arrives - having a bit of issue with the way I did the PP payment = nuts and sorry, Peter. BUT this one should be a bit on the unusual side and super cool! I got really lucky on this one.

Mistwalker Mistwalker , you really hit it out of the park with this design! I know I am going to love it and she will get a lot of use.

I will post my new specimen when she arrives - having a bit of issue with the way I did the PP payment = nuts and sorry, Peter. BUT this one should be a bit on the unusual side and super cool! I got really lucky on this one.

Mistwalker Mistwalker , you really hit it out of the park with this design! I know I am going to love it and she will get a lot of use.

Thank you Kenneth!

I have designed several knives for different makers whose work I enjoy. But mostly, being a knife/tool enthusiast, I enjoy working with various artisans like Andy and floating ideas of things that I see as being in their wheelhouses and possible popular models for them that I think they should take a look at. Like the FF BC Junior was my idea, but not at all one of my designs as it's just a smaller EDC version of the Bushcrafter model I thought might be popular. I love that idea having lead to Andy envisioning other miniatures, and my having a Bushbaby to EDC as well. I love being a part of something that's really good, and there is always a lot of really good energy at Fiddleback Forge because Andy Fiddleback Fiddleback is just that way. He has great personal energy and is a magnet for more of it.

So the way the Raptor came to be was in 2012. I was first exploring concepts of Tolkien based illustration images with Fiddleback Forge knives because so many of them are so well suited to that concept. I was channeling my inner Sam while cutting a branch with a Hiking Buddy, and the sunlight was glinting on the blade. For a split second saw the blade in the Raptor configuration due to the light reflection and me thinking of a pruning knife, and thought to myself I think that should be a thing. So I traced the Hiking Buddy out and then erased the blade and drew the Raptor with the HB handle, and Andy brought it to life. I'm still hoping to land the right one of my own some day. But Andy doesn't like doing them in 5/32 and i couldn't afford it right now if he did lol, so now worries.

It's a lovely iteration, I hope you enjoy it very much!

Wow. Thanks for responding with great info and a charming backstory of inspiration. Clearly you have great ideas from which we all benefit. Good on ya’!

I say keep ‘em coming!

My very own Bushraptor is now in hand. I will work on a few good pics. Maybe later today if possible.

I find it quite sad, truly, that you do not have your dream ‘Raptor, and in 5/32 at that.

Now I feel kinda conflicted about having landed what I understand to be a rather rare specimen, as it IS 5/32, and in 154 to boot. She is dressed in what I believe to be natural linen and tuxedo liners and stripes. Perfect worker.

I really like her. I mean like, really.

Thank you, Sir, as well as Andy, of course, and Peter for getting her to me.

Here she is!
Sorry for the lousy pics. One, I just suck at it. Two, it is 1:23 AM -up with insomnia :(

D4B1DB26-FCAA-4237-A49A-3E48BE84F459.jpeg B7C75662-3554-4FD5-BFB3-3CDEDDCCA00E.jpeg

This is a knife I really appreciate in 5/32” while being only 3.5” of blade length. It is also one of the rather more rare knives that I believe I also want in a thinner stock - despite my liking it fatter, too.

Adding a 3/32” to round out a pair would optimize the knives for specific tasks and would make such a fantastic team for an incredibly wide variety of applications both at home/work and in the field.

Back