Busse Combat customer service

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
I have read a lot of posts about the poor customer service of Busse Combat. Now there is a point there in regards to shipping dates. The wait is awhile and you can get bumped for military orders. However Busse Combat has always been upfront with this as far as I can tell. When I first ordered my Battle Mistress I asked the dealer (Pete's Tactical Knives) when I could expect it and his responce was similar to "early next year".

As for ability to reach Busse Combat and enquire about blades - until recently this was a valid point as well. By phone was a multiple attempt process that often took many days and email was non-existant. However with the introduction of this forum and Andy as a co-moderator and Jerry Busse again active on email - this complaint has no basis. As an example a few days ago I asked about the sheath options and shortly after got a full rundown from Andy.

However there are a couple of very important aspects to customer service that are never mentioned by the detractors. First off Busse Combat is very open about the abilities of their blades. Ask Jerry Busse if his blades can do something and he will tell you. No misdirection, no changing the subject, just a simple answer. When I first asked Jerry if I could pry with my Battle Mistress he said yes. I have asked other makers and recieved answers like "I have pried with them", "I have never had a complaint about that." What does that mean exactly? Ok you can pry with it, that is fine but can I? You have never had a complaint about it - ok - but did any body actually do it? The second aspect is even more important. Not only is the performance stated openly - Jerry Busse stands behind his blades.

When I look a the whole picture, not just the delivery time issue Busse Combat has very good customer service indeed, I don't see a lot of competition in that area.

-Cliff

...very insightful Cliff. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. It always feels good to be appreciated for a job well done, and I know that everyone at Busse Combat REALLY tries hard...I do too.

Jerry has recently guided the company to take large and expensive steps in improving the production and delivery schedules...it is my estimation that in around three months, an enormous improvement in both of these areas will be felt by Busse Combat customers world-wide.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Fax: 1-201-493-2039
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Busse Combat Variant Temp. HQ http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

Sharper Instinct Website www.sharperinstinct.com

Allow me to chime in here too. Yesterday I called Andy to order a BM-E. He wasn't in but I left a message. Now Andy's in New Jersey and I'm in Newfoundland, Canada. When I didn't hear back after a couple of hours I figured Andy had gone home and I'd try again tomorrow. Nope. Andy made sure he got back to me that day. I won't tell you what time he called me, but let's say he's now aware of the difference in time zones
wink.gif
He called me form his home on his own time to talk to me. Answered my questions plainly and honestly and didn't try to sell me anything I didn't want.

As far as contacting Jerry that's gotten a lot easier too. The last couple of emails I sent got answered either the same day or within a day or two. That's fine by me.

The question about delievery times is valid, but only in that it does take a while to get them. Busse Combat and Sharper Insticnt have always been upfront about the time frame for delivery. I don't mind waiting as long as I know I'm going to have to wait. I've got a custom khukri on order from GH for the last 4 or 5 months, am I phased? No, they told me it would take a while. Same with Busse. As long as they tell me how long it's going to take, then it's my choice if I want to wait or not.

------------------
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n"
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

I have to agree w/ Andy and Cliff. Last week I got a hold of someone at Busse to inquire about changing my BM order placed last fall to the E-model (with tan handles)..."no problem" I was told, and it shouldn't be any more of a delay than if I stuck with the original model
smile.gif
. It seems as though the E-model's will be physically introduced at the Blade Show and then the orders will fly (this includes filling b/o's with any E-model subs.) It also seems as though they're really busting their asses at Busse to get all (a majority...no promises made) back orders caught up around Blade Show and that they're making some serious headway on production.

"Well I called them folks up and ordered a knife and three days later, it came. Then they called me apologizing for the delay and they sent half my money back."
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Nah, but I have one on order and Andy has kept me well informed. Everyone one knows the back log on Busse Combat knives. Andy always returns my calls quickly and is glad to answer any questions. I'm not unhappy.

See ya at the Blade Show
smile.gif

I think alot of the problems Busse is having would be solved if they WERE up front about delivery times. For example, I ordered a Badger Attack-E from Andy on Feb. 28. and was told that it would take about 3 weeks. Three weeks went by. On March 13 I was told that it would be another two or three weeks. Ok, I had no problem with the time I just wanted an accurate delivery date. Andy went to the Busse shop in mid April and returned with the news that the prototype was not yet complete!!!! What!!! I expected a finished knife in my hands weeks ago!!! There was no way the first date was anywhere near realistic. It's May 10 and Andy just returned from the shop again without the knife and the news that it might not be here until sometime in June. (I'll bet folks will be able to buy one at the Blade Show!!!)
I don't blame Andy. He can only relay what Busse told him. I don't care if it takes 6 months I just expect a realistic delivery date when I order something. This is not an isolated event considering the recent posts here.

Just my $0.02,

Rich

Originally posted by Dr.V:
(I'll bet folks will be able to buy one at the Blade Show!!!)

Rich

Well Dr. V., I bet there won't be any E models availible at the Blade Show. If I am wrong, I will let you know. My Steel Heart-E has been on order longer than yours. Jerry can't change his socks without someone on this forum posting it. So what Busse has at the Blade Show will most likely be broadcasted loudly. I surely hope no one expects them to go to the show without any knives. Now if you and I could convince the other zillion people to cancel their orders, we could get ours sooner. Look at Tuber's stats of this forum and see the number of people that are interested in knives. Come to the Blade Show and see for yourself. If I am wrong, I will admit it.

Dr. V,

I am to blame for your faulty information. We have had unbelievable delays from our laser cutter and they are, supposedly, bustin' tail to get it right. INFI is new for this laser cutter and none of their promises have, thus far, proven true. This of course passes down the line. Andy inquires as to delivery dates, I give them based on the information I have at hand and they are passed on to the customer. When a delivery date is given, it is not meant to deceive or cause you frustration. You'll have to trust me on this one. Hang in there, the wait will certainly prove to be worthwhile.

P.S. Busse Combat will not have any standard E-models available at the Blade Show for purchase. . . sorry. Andy will be at our booth, however, and should have a very nice, but limited supply of custom variants. We should have the E-models available for display and look forward to the valuable feedback of our forum friends.

Best regards,

Jerry Busse

Dr. V's description is legit and his gripe, valid. However, I can corroborate the fact that there are no E models planned for direct sale at the Blade Show. Orders only.

The insane production efforts going on at the Busse shop right now are to deal with the current backlog in preparation for the BEAUCOUP orders which will come from Blade Show.

I will have Variants there in decent number, so I hope all come to the Busse booth to meet Jerry, Jennifer, Dave, Heather, my wife Amy, and me.

Just look for the coolest dressed folks with exhibitor badges and you'll find us.
smile.gif

Dr. V...check your e-mail...I have a proposition for you.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC

Authorized Dealers:

Busse Combat Variant Temp. HQ http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

[This message has been edited by Jerry Busse (edited 05-11-2000).]

WOW...when I finally got done proof reading my post and hit the submit key, I see that Jerry beat me to the punch. Please forgive my reiterations...

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC

Authorized Dealers:

I just want to make a point that: I agree with Cliff. (joke)
biggrin.gif

Andy has provided me with first rate customer service, the best I've seen from any dealer. My first Busse--a Mean Street--still has me grinning, and as I remember it, it took about 3 or 4 days to order and receive. I realize this isn't an BM or SH but when the stuff it there, you can get it.

I have a Badger Attack looming in my future and eventually a Steel Heart. These knives are just too good. And incomparable. That's why people are standing in line for them. Jerry is a victim of his own success. He's produced such a high quality product that he can't keep up with the demand. And I'd rather wait for something of high quality than settle for less quality just because I can get it in 5-10 days.

------------------
Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

Jerry and Andy,
First, I must apologize for that Blade show quip. I was on a roll and managed to roll over my own foot which I promptly stuck in my mouth. It was inappropriate and unproductive.

I e-mailed Andy privately with this sentiment regarding my post above and thought it should also be included here. "I couldn't possibly know what all is going on at Busse Combat but I can be sure Jerry and crew aren't sitting around shootin' the bull nor are they intentionally screwing customers. I should have given them the benefit of the doubt, but... here I sit with out a BA-E in my hand and I got a little frustrated. Unfortunate, but true." (Just a small view from the customer side.)

Give that cutter hell Jerry!
smile.gif
I'm anxiously awaiting that BA-E and a BM-E I have on order direct from you!
biggrin.gif

All the best,
Rich

I must admit that I have no personal experience with Busse Combat Knives regarding purchaces. I did, however, speak with Mr. Busse about delivery times shortly after his accident as I was considering the purchace of a Battle Mistress. He was very direct about best scenario delivery times, and apologetic that this might not be the case in leiu of the turmoil created by his misfortune. I appreciated his candor and chose not to order at the time.

As a business owner, I understand that there are times when extenuating circumstances militate against an originally determined schedule, Murphy's Law see's to that. Additionally, when you must rely, at times, upon the work of other contractors the problem multiplies exponentially. This is unfortunatly the nature of business.

If a consumer wants a product or service bad enough, there are times when they simply must have to wait or take the business elsewhere. If the product turns out to be superior, time and demand will generate growth that will eventually meet that demand.

Busse's product speaks for itself, and it seems that soon the wait will be over. Congratualations Jerry! And many happy headaches!( Bet they can be doosies, man)

Screwtape

Back