Buying a knife from America on Ebay (UK resident)

Hi all.

I've recently been looking at ebay and have seen a multitude of knives going at very reasonable prices, but am a little worried about the laws regarding buying a knife and having it sent from america to the UK.

I have a feeling it's Ok as long as you're buying a knife which is legal, but am unsure.

I would really appreciate it if any Knife-fan lawyer type could fill me in on whether I can safely bid on a knife, win it, and get it sent to the UK?

Thanks all in advance...

Not sure if it's legal or not. Your best bet might be contacting your Customs Dept. and asking them. Then again, good chance they won't know either :).

Heh, thanks for the reply.

Hopefully it is legal, as I've managed to get the highest bid on A limited Edition Case knife. The blade length was 3" and so I hope it'll get through customs, which'll be a good way of finding out whether it's legal or not.

Not having much experience with the law, if it is illegal for the knife to be sent to the UK, and customs contacts me saying they've seized the knife, what kind of punishment would I recieve, if any, and what would happen if you claim you did not know it was illegal/It was for a collection?

Any help would be very much appreciated. The seller I won the knife from claims to have sent several knives to the uk recently :confused: So hopefully it'll be ok!

Thanks all.

I've read the BKCG law section before, it was quite useful, but I didn't pick out much on importanting knives, apart from things like balisongs being illegal to bring back or buy from within the uk...

Chris:

To answer some of your specific points:

* If you do get the knife into the UK without any Customs problems you should not take this to mean that the knife is "legal" in the UK. As you can imagine, HMC&E simply does not have the resources to check every single parcel coming into the UK. It is hit & miss as to whether your parcel will be inspected by HMC&E.

* If your knife does get stopped by HMC&E and they determine that it is an "offensive weapon", my guess is that in practice the only "penalty" you will suffer is that the knife will be confiscated. You will not be entitled to any compensation for this.

* I doubt that it would make any difference if you say the knife is a collector's item. (The situation might be different if the knife is a genuine antique.) And, as in all walks of life, ignorance of the law is no excuse. HMC&E aren't going to release the knife to you just because you tell them you didn't know it was illegal to import it into the UK.

Hope this helps.

Ah, Thanks Chilli!

So presumably as long as it isn't an offensive weapon, such as a balisong or 12" serrated divers knife or whatever, and is either an antique, or within our laws it's ok.

As for claiming ignorance, When i said that I meant in case of going to court or anything. If customs decides I can't have the knife, I myself would not argue with them, though my parents might say I paid good money for it etc...

Thanks again, it's cleared my mind up somewhat!

Hmmm.

How would I find out whether a knife is seized by customs?

It's been a week or two and I have yet to receive one I won a few weeks ago, a limited edition case knife, would I get a letter sent saying, or would I just never receive it?

Chris

I have had a few shipments stopped by customs over the years but have only had to pay the duty , never had anything confiscated.

Saying that i was not bringing in auto or balisongs.

Hmmm.

Thanks for the reply!

I received a 92mm spyderco rescue knife through the post last friday, it had a stamp on it saying it'd been through royal mail customs, obviously approved. Can't help but smile when I think of the look on the guys face when he opened it up. Mind you i'm a bit miffed, i'm sure that the person I bought it from had padding around the box, as th spyderco box was in a bigger cardboard one, when I received it it was rattling around inside it!

I have still yet to receive a knife that should have been sent off about 2 weeks before this one, and I think i'd have heard from customs if it had been stopped, I think I might have to contact the seller.

Originally posted by chrismoody
Ah, Thanks Chilli!

So presumably as long as it isn't an offensive weapon, such as a balisong or 12" serrated divers knife or whatever, and is either an antique, or within our laws it's ok.

A diver's knife is not a weapon, it's a tool. Used primarily for prying. The UK is ridiculous, sorry no offense, because you guys do back up the U.S., but it's outrageous how UK citizens have let their government strip away their rights. "Please, please, Mr. Customs man, may I have a three inch knife?" :(

I know what you mean.

When i explain what little of the law I know, I always point out how ridiculous the laws are. I mean, who would go and buy a knife thats over £100 to kill someone? It may look "nasty" but if someone was intending to use a knife to kill someone, I'm sure they'd just pay the £3.99 for a large kitchen knife.

Back