buying an anvil

I found a 110 pound anivil for 129$ and was wondering if it's a good deal.

New Blacksmith Anvil 110 Pounds - Great Value
-All of our tools and equipment are SATISFACTION GUARANTEED see below for details!
-This is a professional quality anvil made for TEI INC out of Los Angelas.
-This anvil is portable yet heavy duty. Has great ring and awesome hammer rebound.
-A brand new Premium Quality Blacksmith's Anvil - Great for shoeing horses and Metalworking Enthusiasts
-Painted Black with 1 square working hole on the top

Dimensions:
-15.5" x 5.5" - Working Space
-21" from the base to the tip of the horn
-8" Tall from the base to the top of the table
-5.5" x 13" Base

I may be missing things, but doesn't seem to say if it's steel or Iron. For bladesmithing, my understanding is that you want steel, or at least for the face, can be steel face welded to iron body, if it's done right.

You got this description off of ebay right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1775018497

Look at the guys feedback rating. I wouldn't buy from them. Also, they used to have a different username that had as many negative and neutral feedbacks as well. Harbor Freight has a 110# anvil that goes on sale from time to time for ~$80. It is made of cast steel. They also sell one that is made of cast iron, stay away from that one... I'd just catch the 110# Russian made cast steel anvil on sale at Harbor Freight the next time it goes on sale if I were you.

-Darren

http://DarrenEllis.com

Check out the freight charges. 110lb may be almost as much to frieght it as buy it. I had the misfortune of frieghting an anvil once it was not cheap.

To check for a good anvil hold a one inch ball bearing about a foot over the table. Drop the bearing and the bearing should almost bounce back to your hand. The more bounce the better the anvil for working on. Stay away from anvils with little bounce as they will work your a** off. Good rebound kicks the hammer back so you don't have to lift the hammer up much between each blow. Stand straight and don't lean over a good anvil while working. If you miss your iron and the hammer hits the anvil face, the hammer will rebound back into your head before you can move out of the way.

Back