Buying at Gun Show

There's a gun show in Orlando, this weekend. About 1/4 of the floor space is knives. How do I tell the difference between good knives and Chinese junk?

Your tips will be closely read with appreciation.

They might say "Made in China" perhaps. Sometimes it is only written on the box however. Sounds like a great place to get ripped off. There are high end brands made in China that for the most part are great. But I doubt you'll be seeing them at a gun show.

So knife makers' websites are the best places to look? Any major sellers, like Cabelas or Basspro?

The first thing the teach you is that if there is any doubt there is no doubt.

If you can't tell what's what and don't know the sellers to be reputable don't buy anything.

There are a few sponsoring knife stores or dealers that have huge online catalogs and are 100% reliable.

The odds are good that most of what you see will be flea market junk, with a leavening of used traditional knives and a dealer or two with more modern knives.

Watch out for the sellers of said junk. The one major seller I saw at the Nashville flea market was selling fake microtechs to cops, so a lot of them aren't hard to spot.

But obviously dont discount the good Chinese stuff either.

We have a vendor that is always at our gun shows. He is hooked on with Marfione (sp?) Somehow. He does have some hard to find pieces but always wants an arm and leg. He also has all the other major brands but same goes with the prices.

It seems like in the last year or two the gun shows ive been to have been really bad, this includes ones in Tenessee Virginia, NC to name a few. only 3/4th of the shows are full, prices are not great, and theres tons of dealers in cheap junk knives. theres some decent ones as well, but the majority is crap

It seems like in the last year or two the gun shows ive been to have been really bad, this includes ones in Tenessee Virginia, NC to name a few. only 3/4th of the shows are full, prices are not great, and theres tons of dealers in cheap junk knives. theres some decent ones as well, but the majority is crap

Ooof. I've noticed that there are no more "show prices". Higher than in the brick and mortar stores. Add to that, the organic fertilizer merchandise factor, and I guess the only reason to go is sightseeing.
In my whole life, I've bought only one gun at a gun show. I've bought a lot of ammo components, but their prices have become ridiculous. I now buy that stuff at a brick and mortar store. (big grin) I DO buy bumper stickers. Some are a hoot.

Go to the reputable knife sellers online. I'm not gonna recommend any particular ones . . . just do your homework. Arrive at a show with knowledge. That applies to both knives and guns. Personally, I don't like shows, though I realize I'm probably missing out on some great deals.

I haven't been to one in over 10 years, the junk and fakes were bad back then. I bet now that's most of what's seen at shows.

Gun shows are done. I saw a box of armscorp 22lr,50 rounds for 16.00 I can get a 500rd brick for 24.00 ;this is the kind of stupid prices that they are asking at these shows. Knives are no different. The old days of good shows, and getting great deals I think are over.

I think you are quite correct. About all there is of real interest is the exotica. T-shirts, bumper stickers, "survival" rations, engravers and stock makers onsite, concealed carry classes, sometimes an outfitter or two for guided hunts, art, lots of art in paint, photographs, leather, wood. If you need parts, SOMETIMES you can find them. Sometimes.

(sigh)

I've been looking at makers' websites. I've bought cars for less than that. Can you buy a really good skinner knife for between $75 and $125, or do you need to budget for $3,000 to $12,000?

There's a gun show in Orlando, this weekend. About 1/4 of the floor space is knives. How do I tell the difference between good knives and Chinese junk?

Your tips will be closely read with appreciation.

There will be plenty of junk from China, Pakistan and elsewhere; there will also be overpriced knives, misidentified knives, fakes, and damaged goods. But, within all of that, there may well be some quality bargains. It is up to you to do the homework, so that you are able to identify what you are interested in and where it's price should be. Usually, you start by setting out to buy examples of a particular brand or knife type that you are interested in and you take the time to learn about the common knives for that brand or type. But, if you are not there, then you are in desperate need of an education. Your best bet would be to keep the wallet safely in your pocket, while you take the opportunity to learn from the various sellers. Ask a lot of questions and politely fondle plenty of knives. If you let them know that you are a novice they will often warn you about some of the less reputable dealers and they will make an effort to shar some of their knowledge with you. As you go through that process with various sellers, you will slowly learn to distinguish the dealers that are on the level from those who are out to take advantage of you. Perhaps at that point, you may decide to take a risk on a knife from one of the more reputable vendors. Get the basic information on the knife and use your telephone to seek out more information on that knife.

Go slow and keep in mind that an education always comes at a price. You can expect to make mistakes; that is part of the normal learning curve. But, if you do it right you can minimize the scope of those mistakes by staying near your comfort zone..

n2s

Interesting discussion. I’ve been “making” knives and sheaths for about 9 months. LOVE IT! Thinking about displaying my work in a Sports/Boat/Camping show this Nov. I buy blanks made with American steel, German steel, Japanese, Swedish and very recently Chinese. I fit them with exotic wood, composite or Stag horn handles and make nice leather sheaths for each one. I embellish to give personality. Going to attempt to show 100 knives with sheaths. Will sell the “custom “ idea. Will customize knife, sheath or both. The blanks are from, I think, reputable and quality manufacturers. Gorgeous blanks. Now for a “BIG “ question. I’m thinking in the $125-$150 niche per set. Thoughts? Oh. This is a new hobby for this 84 year old. Wadda ya think?

There could be a custom maker or two with tables at the show. I have purchased handmade stuff at gunshows years ago. I really didn't know much about pricing, but honestly everything I bought was reasonably priced at that time. I have since purchased more than a couple handmade knives. Some were purchased at the Blade Show in Atlanta. That show happens in early June every year and it's all knives with dealers and makers from around the world.

You will likely see a lot of slip joint knives in cases. I would stay away from the old ones unless you know what you're buying in terms of price.... Case and Schrade are big. Look for USA on the tang of a Schrade knife. The current Schrade knives are made in China. Buck knives are just fine. I really have no idea what kind of knives you're looking for. I just purchased an older Case barlow at a knife show last weekend. Price was okay and about consistent with current production. But it was a better knife.

Places like Bass Pro and Cabelas sell knives. I have purchased a number of knives at Sportsman's Warehouse. They are priced just a little above online prices but I was okay with that.

With guns and knives at shows..... knowledge is crucial to allow you to make judgements. As Not2Sharp said, knowledge comes with a price. Have fun. Buy within your comfort zone. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Franco, you and I are thinking the same. I'm currently refurbing a Bridgeport J head knee mill. I have a South Bend lathe, and a Bridgeport surface grinder. I've been thinking of going to machine shops, and trying to get short jobs of 20 or less, one-offs, and "nuisance" jobs the machine shop can't really make money on. My Bridgeport has problems, but the saving parts are on the way.

I wish you the BEST getting your business off the ground.

I'd recommend the Service Corps of Retired Executives. For FREE, they can get you started with the simple legal, financial, and paperwork end of doing business. I plan to use them. Uncle Sam gets grumpy if he doesn't get his vig.

Franco, you and I are thinking the same. I'm currently refurbing a Bridgeport J head knee mill. I have a South Bend lathe, and a Bridgeport surface grinder. I've been thinking of going to machine shops, and trying to get short jobs of 20 or less, one-offs, and "nuisance" jobs the machine shop can't really make money on. My Bridgeport has problems, but the saving parts are on the way.

I wish you the BEST getting your business off the ground.

I'd recommend the Service Corps of Retired Executives. For FREE, they can get you started with the simple legal, financial, and paperwork end of doing business. I plan to use them. Uncle Sam gets grumpy if he doesn't get his vig.
Thanks pal! Value opinions.

Back