Buying Auto/OTFs Online

Can I get someone with better legal knowledge than me to answer this for me?

OTF/autos are legal to possess in California as long as they do not leave your property (unless auto is <2"). Most websites will not will to those in California unless they are an authorized dealer/LEO/active military/licensed contractor w/federal gov't (or something like that). Yet, some websites will send them without asking anything.

Does the website that not ask anything just automatically place all blame or liability on the buyer, as opposed to the other getting information beforehand to make sure they don't have to get dragged in any legal spats? I'm interested in buying those kinds of blades, but don't necessarily think it's a good thing to lie on forms like that.

I live in California and have purchased several switchblades online with blades longer than 2 inches.

There is nothing illegal under California state law about a resident of California buying or ordering a switchblade with a blade 2" or longer.

It is illegal to SELL 2+" switchblades in the state of California, but only the person/vendor who sells the knife is guilty of a crime.

Under California state law, it's only illegal to sell a 2+" switchblade if the seller is in California.

Under federal law, it is illegal to ship switchblades across state lines. But many vendors still do it.

It is also illegal under federal law to ship knives using the US postal service. But some vendors still do that as well.

As the buyer, or person seeking to buy a switchblade (in California), you are entirely in the clear.

Vendors will often have terms posted on their websites that say they will only ship to military procurement, LEO's, etc, etc, or they might flat out say that they won't sell to civilians, but that may just be there for the sake of appearances and as a way for them to try and cover their own asses.

As long as you place an order with a legitimate vendor you have absolutely nothing to lose or risk by placing an order. The worst that can happen is that they won't fill the order, in which case they should refund your money. And if they send you the knife, you are not breaking any law by receiving it.

As far as any form that a vendor might want you to fill out, there is nothing legally binding about those forms. They are not official government or legal/court documents, and you are not under oath when you fill them out. The forms are just something the vendors made up for the purpose of making a sale, and they're just another way that vendors try to cover their asses.

Like I said, I've purchased several 2+" switchblades from out of state. And I'm planning on buying several more. My attorney says I'm in the clear, and I'm not the least bit concerned about placing my orders.

Last edited:
So for example, if I wanted to buy through BladeHQ, even if I'm not active duty/LEO/etc, it doesn't necessarily matter since they don't require proof of those claims, and just use it as a soft barrier to deter people?

So for example, if I wanted to buy through BladeHQ, even if I'm not active duty/LEO/etc, it doesn't necessarily matter since they don't require proof of those claims, and just use it as a soft barrier to deter people?

The person who owns BladeHQ.com also owns Bladeplay.com. I recently bought a switchblade from Bladeplay.com with no problem whatsoever (a 9" Frank Beltrame stiletto). I wasn't asked to fill out any form or provide any ID.

I say- buy with confidence.

I plan on buying more switchblades from Bladeplay.com.

Yea I noticed that BladeHQ and Bladeplay have basically identical checkout layouts, similar stocks, and pricings.

Thanks for the reassurance.

have any of you purchased from blade hq this year and if so what was the outcome? what did you check in the box they require you fill out?
thanks

I'm in Cali. I order from PVK Vegas and BladeOps
They ask no questions. I own several full size autos.

I think the Federal Switchblade Act is one of those laws the feds really don't place much importance on anymore. They honestly have bigger fish to fry when it comes down to it.

Even Amazon seems to be allowing the sell of OTFs now.

That said, I personally advise that everyone follow the laws where they live. Be careful and if you have doubts about a certain knife, don't carry it.

Last edited:
I live in California. In worst case you can pick up a "winter home in Mexico ". There are plenty of lots by my home.lmao

Back