• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Buying Knives from Canada generally, also Grohmann Canadian Belt Knife specifically

Hello all,

I come seeking advice from fellow Canadian (and American) users of this forum.

Do I just have to accept that knives cost 20-30% more here? Or are their alternative sellers with reasonable prices?
It seems either I have to pay $20-$30 [if not far more] dollars more to get it locally, or pay that in shipping. And often it is actually cheaper to pay the shipping.

This ridiculous price hiking really came to a head for me recently. I am really interested in the Canadian designed and manufactured Russell Belt Knife (original #1, carbon steel, over flap sheath). But it seems it is far cheaper for the knife to be shipped to a US store, and then me purchase it and it get shipped back to Canada. I have a store that sells every variety of this knife basically in my back yard, but they sell them over 30% more than competing stores (only one store in Canada even sells the carbon steel version).

And my third problem, the only listed dealer that sells the flap sheath, with the carbon steel blade, is going out of business and is out of stock. Does anyone know where I can get this combo? In either country? I have grandparents in Florida right now, who will be driving back in a few weeks to Ontario. So perhaps they can even pick it up from a retail store.
Note: one big problem is the Steel, everyone sells Stainless, but I do not want stainless.

Thanks for any and all help,
Jonathon

After a ridiculous amount of searching I did find one retailer with a wide selection of Grohmann blades, and they are even in Canada and offer competitive prices. Strangely they offer a whole lot of different packages, but they do not offer that exact combo, but they do have all the parts (so I am thinking I will be able to convince them to swap out the default sheath for the overlap one on one of the carbon steel rosewood blades).

http://www.greatadventure.ca/

I had good luck several years ago for a special order I wanted by calling them directly in NS:

1-888-7-KNIVES
Office, emails & production closed on holidays)

Head Office and Factory Outlet Store :

Downtown Pictou
116 Water Street
PO Box 40
Nova Scotia, Canada
B0K 1H0

You should try Australia... what costs 30-40US in the USA costs around 100+ US in Australia.
$500 in the US.... over a grand here in some cases others just 600...

I have been considering flying to the USA simply for a knife run, even with customs etc if I buy a 7-10 grand worth of knives I will actually save money despite the cost of the flight.

Every time I buy a knife in Australia I get a bad taste in my mouth, I detest feeling ripped off.
Import costs cant account for the price.. because at no point can it be more economical for a person to fly and bring back goods in luggage....
Otherwise every company to save money would be doing this rather then using shipping or bulk air.

Oh really Gargs. That is good to know. But their recommended prices are pretty high. Manufacturers seem to always have higher prices than the dealers.
I was just thinking that other day, they would actually be making more on the defective "seconds" that they sell themselves then the perfects that they sell to dealers (because their 50% off is only sightly less than some people sell the blades for to begin with).

I have not seen that Canadian WW site before, will have to peruse it.

Phoynix: Can you not just order the knives internationally? You might have to pay $15-$25 in shipping, but that has to be cheaper than flying their and back. Also, do you really need 10 grand in knives?

Try knifes one online. They are out is Saskatchewan and sell grohmann and other brands.

Im curious what store is in your backyard with that great selection you were mentioning. Its not Canadian Outdoor Equipment is it? They only have Helle and Mora.

Where the site I mentioned GreatAdventures, sells at what seems to be market price of around $70, I got a quote from On The Edge for $110* (who sell every variety of that knife).

Which makes it about 60% over, what appears to be, market price.

*Not sure if that includes taxes or not, he said "includes sheath + tax". I think technically that should read, includes (sheath and tax); But that does not mean that is what it actually means. People use that "+ tax" expression, but I have never understood what it was supposed to mean.

I think all of us up here in the great white north get screwed on blade prices. I normally make one trip to the US a year to look for knives. The past two years I have been fortunate enough to be vacationing in Florida and been able to go to one of the gun and knife shows. Unfortunately I cannot name my current store as they are not a BF supporter. But from what I have gathered as far as knife research goes here in Canada it is brand specific. I can find some Ka-Bar products cheeper here in Canada then the US. At the same time 99% of any other knife brand I look at is marked up between 30% - 70%.

Unfortunately I cannot name my current store as they are not a BF supporter.

I have heard this before, but that is simply untrue. Read the rules yourself, there are very few.
The staff do not like "deal spotting", they do not want you making threads about how ~KnifeMart has some awesome deal on the Kabar 1337~. But there is no rule about promoting any specific store in general, or some other specific reason other than a sale.

As far as I can tell I can make as many forum thread as I like promoting some random knife store, as long as I do not mention specific deals or sales.

Yes, we know you found a great price on the Ninja Disembowel 4000 at SuperPriceMART. We don't care. We'd prefer you support the dealers who support BladeForums.com.

As such, we don't allow deal spotting because otherwise the forums would be a quagmire of "deals" (real or imagined) posted everywhere, or unscrupulous people posting "deals" for non paying dealers. So don't do it.

Last edited:
Good to know! check out Lebarons they have the best prices that I have come across as far as knives go. Only problem is their selection is not very big.

Good to know! check out Lebarons they have the best prices that I have come across as far as knives go. Only problem is their selection is not very big.

Welcome to jolly old Quebec mate ....... Lebaron is a hop, skip. Away from me. I still buy my knives, and more, from Warriors and Wonders.... Silly name, great store.

The two Le Barons I've been to (one in Markham Ontario and the other in Mississauga Ont) didn't have great prices or selection. Haven't been to the Markham location in a few years though but the Mississauga one is just about 10 minutes drive from me. The few knives of interest they had (mostly Spydercos and Vics) I could find better pricing on elsewhere. I'm glad your location seems to have better pricing though.

Well I can verify that they (LeBarons) offer the best price for Grohmann's bar none, I have seen so far. Shipping seems to be quite shitty though (and their selection of Grohmanns is minimal), so it would get close to evening out. If you ordered enough to get some others site's free shipping I think you would get it for about the same (where LeBarons just keeps adding shipping charges for more expensive orders).

Their biggest problem seems to be that you need to pay for them to ship you a catalogue, and their is no way to just download a PDF for free. You can download an EXE that apparently allows you to browse their catalogue, or you can do so in an annoying fashion online, but I think I will pass on both those options.

Can't speak on the Grohmanns blades as I've never looked into them. I agree about the catalog which looks like something out of 1980, and their website is pretty useless. All that said, I do like to go browse through the store every now and again and have bought several items from them. I just wish there were more local selections as far as stores go.

seems like no has mentioned S&R yet...not sure where the OP is located...
it is great to actually handle a knife before buying, pictures and specs only go so far...so i prefer buying them locally...
and in the Toronto area S&R Knives (Woodbine Center - Hwy 27 / Rexdale Blvd) has one of the best variety of knives etc.
i was there just a couple weeks ago and they had a couple of Grohmanns...
they are great guys to deal with too...

Back