Buying Multiples of the Same Blade?

Dr Rez

Pisser of the Couch
I would just like to know your reasoning for buying the same version of a knife multiple times. Do you do it for collection purposes? Is it so if one breaks you have a backup?

I do not say this because I think it is a good or bad idea, I simply would like to know your reason. (or maybe so I can secretly justify buying another knife)

I don't think I've ever bought more than one of the same blade unless I've bought a second one as a gift for someone else. That being said, I recognize why some folks scoop up multiples.

Sometimes I bought multiples because it was a good deal, and hard to pass up, sometimes because production on a given model was going to be done, sometimes I won a blade in a contest, sometimes gifted to me, sometimes a packagae deal would come up, and sometimes because I modded a blade, and wanted another to have the original, haha.

Sometimes I bought multiples because it was a good deal, and hard to pass up, sometimes because production on a given model was going to be done, sometimes I won a blade in a contest, sometimes gifted to me, sometimes a packagae deal would come up, and sometimes because I modded a blade, and wanted another to have the original, haha.
So basically just give you a reason and you will get another for it. Got it.

I have a couple of bk 5s. more like 7 but I keep one on the truck, one by my bed ,one in the kitchen, one by the bbq and a few in the safe. the last couple were panic buys after I found out they weren't making them any more

Last edited:
I have a couple of bk 5s. more like 7 but I keep one on the truck, one by my bed ,one in the kitchen, one by the bbq and a few in the safe
Do you just like them more than your other knives? Do you own lots of other sinilar ones?

I just bought the Bk29 package deal. I'd never felt a Bk5 before and one came with the deal. I liked it so much I ordered another one while driving and had it primed to my sons place in Florida.It was waiting for me, He liked it so much he pulled a walking dead and claimed it!!!! The Bk5 has been discontinued. Looks like I will have to prime another. He did give me his Bk3 in exchange though.

When I find something I like and actually use I want to have at least one backup. There is nothing like losing a favorite tool and finding out it has been discontinued. When it comes to Becker knives, they are well designed, well built and a fantastic bargain. Show me another American made knife as capable as the BK5 for less than $120 (the current price of 2 BK5s).

You know the old saying, “If you have one you have none…”

When I find something I like and actually use I want to have at least one backup. There is nothing like losing a favorite tool and finding out it has been discontinued. When it comes to Becker knives, they are well designed, well built and a fantastic bargain. Show me another American made knife as capable as the BK5 for less than $120 (the current price of 2 BK5s).

You know the old saying, “If you have one you have none…”

I agree on having Users and Keepers ... and Back-ups. This is especially true for knives exactly like the BK-5 (my favorite) which, sadly, has been discontinued. Same for it's little cousin, and another favorite of mine, the BK-15.

When I find a knife that I really like, I am prone to mating the User with a Keeper and in certain cases, (like the BK-5), having Back-ups for the Back-ups!

When I've done this, it's usually because I like the model so much, I think I may want to give one away to someone. Friends, family, work associates, etc. Sometimes the model I've used, and sometimes the new one. More often than not, I've given away the new model so the next owner can break it in to their liking.

Usually if I REALLY like I knife I will buy multiples of it.

Particularly if it is a knife that I carry for self defensive purposes. Most knives get discontinued eventually and if it is a knife that you have gotten used to as a self defense weapon it is important to have that knife around for as long as possible. It is a fact that if you use a knife in a self defense encounter it is unlikely you will be getting that knife back.

Obviously I understand that it is unlikely a person will find themselves in that many bladed self defense encounters but it still makes sense to have multiples in case you lose one.

I also have multiple CQC7s of various versions because I just love that knife. So I have one that is my beater knife, one that is my EDC knife and one that is kind of kept sharp and put away for the day I have to retire my beater. The knife comes in various blade shapes as well as grinds. I have the V ground chisel edge version, and the chisel ground version, and a flipper version.

I have two Spyderco P'kals. Some people have various models of Enduras or Delicas in various steels.

In the end there are lots of reasons to get multiple versions of the same knife. After all two is one and one is none. If you love a knife so much you can't live without it then get more than one or you might be without it one day. When you have been collecting for a while you will eventually come across some models you just love. In many ways I wish I would have just bought multiples of knivse I loved rather than buying every knife that caught my fancy.

3 bk5
2 bk15
3 bk4's (2 kabar, 1 Camillus)
1 bk17 (looking for another)

These I see a reason for multiples. If one breaks, warranty won't replace it. Any current production model, I don't see the point. But some deals are too good to pass up :)

3 bk5
2 bk15
3 bk4's (2 kabar, 1 Camillus)
1 bk17 (looking for another)

These I see a reason for multiples. If one breaks, warranty won't replace it. Any current production model, I don't see the point. But some deals are too good to pass up :)
Me too.
My multiples were obtained after they were discontinued. 4, 5, 15, 20. Don't feel the urge (yet) to get a backup for my 9 - even if it were to break, it can be readily replaced.

I can understand wanting a second, original version of a particular model once you've modded the first, for no other reason than just to show off the 'before' and 'after' versions.

Wouldn't mind owning a second BK15 now that I've stripped mine - believe it or not there are still a few available here in South Africa.

Depends on the knife. Some I got because they dont make them any more and I want spares. Some I got more than one because I want them on more than one set of kit without having to unpack it move it and repack it. I am trying really hard to not turn into a collector of unused knives. Been selling off stuff Im not using except for the few back ups of disco'd blades.

Back