Buying Necker bk-11 tommorow which one?

Hey guys,

love these forums. loaded with everyone's good info and pics. Do any of you own the bk-11 composite? I can buy two of the black versions for less than the price of the composite san mai. Is it worth going the extra $? I haven't heard too much mentioned about it. Buying tomorrow May 12, '09

thank you,

Sean

I have the standard black BK11 and am very pleased with it. I never even considered the other version because I wanted 1095 and I don't care for how the San Mai looks.
3390187835_6b246a6f51_o.jpg

I have the standard black BK11 and am very pleased with it. I never even considered the other version because I wanted 1095 and I don't care for how the San Mai looks.
3390187835_6b246a6f51_o.jpg

Me to for exactly the same reason; although I purchased two.

thanks. I think I will grab a black version also. They have a special on the clips as well so I can carry on belt. this was one of the main reason's I haven't already bought one of these yet was because I hate neck carry.

Now I just have to figure on how to wrap mine like you guys have done but with lace/cord a little bit thinner. thanks fella's.

sean

Hey Seanski, You won't be disappointed. I've just recently bought the black version BK11 and I carry it with me while on-duty. BEAST of a little knife :thumbup:.

-ROOK-

I bought the Carbon Sai Mai version because the supplier I bought from didn't have the 1095 versions yet.

I thought it was pretty neat. The finishing on my Carbon Sai Mai was actually pretty poorly done to be frank. The chamfer of the edges looked terrible. I needed to deburr and smoothen some areas.

However, I have no regrets. The knife is good to go for edge retention, have used it in wet wet conditions with almost no care(read: no rust issues even then) and carried in Normark's OST sheath alongside my SOG Powerlock EOD.

The 1095 is a great bank for the buck and made in the USA. The Carbon Sai Mai is made in Japan and my experience(as well as several others) is that it can be hit or miss for finish.......AS A WORKING TOOL, it is great though.

Here is the link to mine before I took some sandpaper to it.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606803

Last edited:
thanks for the info on your sai mai. I think I will start out with the black blade and am buying the clip as well. I am looking forward to seeing how comfortable it parks on my belt for edc.

thanks. I think I will grab a black version also. They have a special on the clips as well so I can carry on belt. this was one of the main reason's I haven't already bought one of these yet was because I hate neck carry.
sean

Where are you getting the clip for belt carry, if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at picking a BK11 up soon as well, and I am interested in carrying it on my belt as opposed to using it as a necker.

EDITED TO ADD: What size Tek Lok would fit the sheath of the BK11?

Thanks.

Last edited:
yeah you will not be able to find it on site as far as I know. I phoned Jay and asked him and he said yes he has them in stock.

I checked both the Kabar and Warriors & Wonders web site. Neither one shows the blade thickness. Anybody?

Thanks,

Doc

Doc; Tomar's has the blade thickness listed at 1.65 inches. I'm pretty sure that what they mean is .165 inches, which would be 4.19 mm. I can't verify that, but I remember reading something like that on another site.

Doc; Tomar's has the blade thickness listed at 1.65 inches. I'm pretty sure that what they mean is .165 inches, which would be 4.19 mm. I can't verify that, but I remember reading something like that on another site.

I would love to see that blade :eek:

I got curious so I measured mine with dial calipers and got .166 in. at the midpoint of the blade.

I would love to see that blade :eek:

I got curious so I measured mine with dial calipers and got .166 in. at the midpoint of the blade.

Thanks, mechtec. That's pretty close to the .165 I had listed. I didn't have one here to measure.

Back