Byrd Crossbill: comments please

It's a great way to experience the goodness of a hawkbill blade for a bargain. The blade steel is good, easy to sharpen and holds the edge for a decent amount of use. It won't be up to the VG-10 or S30V standard, but it's not meant to be. It will take a wickedly sharp edge.

According to the 2010 catalog, the stainless version only comes in PE or PS (or Combo) edge while the G-10 version is PE or SE edge.

Forgot to add, sharpening a hawkbill blade requires the Sharpmaker or something similar.

I liked my G-10 Crossbill well enough to buy a replacement between when I lost it and when it turned up again. It did get more or less retired when the H-1 Spyderhawk came out, but it is an excellent hawkbill for the price, and a great way to experience the cutting power of a fully serrated hawkbill.

Good knife for the price. There are better hawkbills but Crossbill isn't bad at all. I have SS, but like G10 better.
3009781.jpg

I have a serrated G10 model and it gets carried regularly. Sharp! Good ergo's, great price and quality for the price.

anybody have any experience with this knife? I'd like your comments please.

The thing is overbuilt, in a good way. Because it's so inexpensive, you can use as a beater with no remorse. It holds up to abuse very well.

I slammed the tip at 50% power into the hard plastic of a computer tower repeatedly and the tip did not break. It was only after I slammed it into the wire mesh on the back of the tower that the very very end of the tip broke off. Not bad for Chinese steel.

I've got the stainless plain edge version, too bad they didn't have the G10 when i bought it
Very good value for the dollar

i ordered a stainless steel handle one not too long ago, its pretty strong/solid. very well built. the blade itself has a wicked shape. i have a stainless steel handle harpy that i love, so i went for the stainless steel handles with the crossbill.

I have SS plain Crossbill (good for apples etc.) and serrated Crossbill in G-10 (just for fun).

But plain edge in G-10 will be better for EDC, IMHO :)

Back