C20V vs S110V?

Been trying to research C20V vs other steels and coming up empty handed. I like the balance of S30V, but recently I bought a KME and feel confident I can sharpen almost anything.

How does C20 compare to S110 specifically? and S30 to whatever degree?

I prefer steels that are more rust resistant overall.

Thanks for input.

To be blunt, most production 20CV/M390/204P is delivered at 57-60hrc, well below the 62-63hrc range at which it’s chemically engineered to be run at. Production S30V also tends to be done in that range, so the difference is minimal at best when cutting common things like cardboard and plastic packaging. It’s not uncommon for S30V to outperform it, as delivered.

If you have a smartphone, there’s a free app. that will give you the info you need, Knife Steel Composition Chart

20cv will be more rust resistant and tougher generally, but at the expense of edge retention. I find it to still be great edge retention. S100v will hold the edge longer, generally, but me more susceptible to cracking or chipping. I haven't had a problem with either though. But being in a humid environment and using my knives for food occasionally, I tend to like 20cv line better. But both are great and really beyond what is needed, in all honesty. My favorite knives are s30v and 1095.

If you want / like a mini saw get the S110V.
If you like a polished edge push cutter :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ( Did I mention I prefer this ) then go for the C20V (M390 same thing).

The S110V isn't difficult to sharpen, Crystolon ( Silicon Carbide ) will do it, Shapton Glass will to (even to a mirror edge) . . . I still prefer diamonds for S110V.
The problem lies in keeping it whittling sharp; it drops off to just an aggressive working edge, that won't make me grin, too fast for my taste.

C20V keeps that silly sharp edge longer but in the long run won't cut rope and fibrous stuff quite as long as S110V.
Of course this all depends on the heat treat and tempering and care at the manufacture in sharpening. I have had S110V that simply would not do anything better than my M390 (C20V) but that was a rare exception.

The M390 that cut circles around the one example of S110V was my Ritter Griptillian.
The sucky S110V was a Manix LW and yes I sharpened it many, many, many times toothy and polished.
I have several other Spydercos in S110V and they have proved to be good.
(((((I still like C20V (M390) better, much better in fact, though the blue scales / handles on those S110V Spydercos are too cool / I like them very much ))))).

Personally I couldn't care less about stainless, I find that the alloys I come to like the best generally tend to tarnish or even rust and or patina. That said the C20V and the S110V are plenty
stainless enough; no problem there.

I'll always choose 20cv just because of the horror stories of sharpening S110V. I almost never have to sharpen my knives anyways, but I dont want to deal with that.

It's 20cv not c20v and s110v. 20cv is the same as m390 and 204p. The only difference people will see between 20cv/m390/204p steels is the actual heat treatment and geometry. Your probably having a hard time searching for info on cpm 20cv and cpm s110v because of the way your spelling them. Highly recommend trying again you'll find alot of threads with good info about them that you may not see in this one.

20cv is faster to sharpen than s110v depending on the hardness of the steel.

They are both very stainless.

Don't reprofile s110v with too thin an angle if your worried about chipping. Or use a micro bevel if you do. Some 20cv can be chippy too at around 62hrc. Lighter tasks would be idea in that case for either at higher hrc.

As for edge retention, it's debatable. All depends on geometry and heat treatment.

As for edge retention, it's debatable. All depends on geometry and heat treatment.

This is the bottom line. A bad heat treat on a great steel makes a terrible edge. It's all about the heat treat.

Reactions: Mo2
I ve noticed definite differences in edge holding among different knives with these same blade steels. I believe the different heat teatments and different grinds are the reason for this.
The difficulty sharpening s110v compared with 20cv makes me like the 20cv more.

Back