C54 - Calypso VG-10, Micarta...gulp!

I saw it today. One of these available to me, I think. As I explained in the Spyderco Forum...(this is a partial copy/paste job from there):

A friend turns out to have one of these beauties and will probably sell it to me. How much do you think I should pay for it? What is the overall opinion of this full-sized Calypso? I realize that the Calypso Jr. both past(Micarta) and present (FRN) is highly regarded - especially in the newer VG-10 steel.

Is there then any reason that this full sized version would not be just as good or better than the Jr., in terms of it’s flat grind, great edge geometry & VG-10 blade? I ask because I just haven't heard much about this larger model.

I still intend to buy a new VG-10 Calypso Jr. w/ the FRN handle once my local dealer get’s them in. This large Calypso is a separate thing altogether.

I think that this knife is absolutely beautiful. I very much want to buy it. I’m really just trying to decide how much I should be willing to pay for it...looking for a little justification, I guess. I told the guy I'd tell him on Monday, and I know that if I don't buy it soon someone else will. I'll be using Canadian dollars. You know, the bills with all the colors and funny pictures on them?

Thanks for any help you can offer. Jeff/1911.

Buy the large Calypso while you still can. Do it. They're discontinued, but great great knives.

You should expect to pay between $80 and $100 US.

No problem, Jeff. When you get, um, tired of it, I'll take it off your hands!

------------------
Man, I hate smileys.

It's a really nice knife; definitely worth it.

I just noticed that on Spyderco's website, in the "discontinued" section at SFO, they have the large Calypso for sale for $80. That seems like an incredible deal. It originally retailed for $135.

------------------
Cerulean

"The hairy-armed person who figured out how to put an edge on a suitable rock made it possible for us to be recognizably human in the first place." - J.K.M.

Cerulean,

I can't believe I missed that! I'm sure that I looked at the discontinued page before...

Anyway, I will definitely consider ordering one from the SFO. On the page it describes only the "Spyderedge" model. I wonder if they still have stock of the plain edges? I'll call tomorrow and see. Thanks, again. Jeff/1911.

Sorry, Jeff, but I spend all too much time at the SFO, and I can tell you that they only have the Spyderedge. That said, though, it's a ferocious looking cutter.

------------------
Man, I hate smileys.

The large Calypso is an excellant knife. It is very light and slim for it's size, about a 1/2" shorter in the handle than the Military. The blade lacks any belly to speak of, but is still great for utility or defense if needed. It's sort of a giant gents knife, if that makes any sense.
Get one, you won't be sorry.

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Dedicated ELU
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Sebenzanista

Fellow Spyderco "enthusiasts",

Thank you very much for your counsel and the benefit of your experience. I appreciate your taking the time to reply, as you've all helped a great deal. I think I mostly needed help with justification...I will buy this knife and be very happy with it.

Jeff/1911.

Shmackey - Thanks for the confirmation on SFO stock. I was looking for a plain edge, so I guess I'll have to "pay the piper".

I would definitely want the plain edge for this knife. My full size Calypso is my "demostration knife." If I want to show somebody how easily a sharp knife can cut free hanging paper, this is the knife. I must admit I don't actually carry it anymore because the Shabaria captured its place in my right front pocket. If I wanted a "dress up knife" though, it would get the nod.

Gregg

Tulsamal,

Pretty cool; about cutting hanging paper. I can't wait to try this! It will be my dress-up knife too.

Cheers, Jeff/1911.

- ALSO POSTED IN SPYDERCO FORUM -

Get this! I spoke to the guy with the Calypso this AM and ordered it from him, and during our conversation mentioned that “Now I just have to find a Micarta Calypso Jr. plain edge to go with it...” and he replied; “Oh, do you want that too?” Turns out he has one of these he will also sell.

I think I managed to catch this guy just when he was thinking of selling off some of his knives anyway. I feel very fortunate indeed. So, later this week I’ll take posession of both a full sized and Jr. Calypso in micarta and with plain edges I don’t think they’ve ever really been used, from the sound of it. He was foremost a collector, keeping knives like these kind of “preserved” and using some others for daily chores. I also think I’ll get a pretty good deal on them. I’ll let you know.
Thanks again for all of your advice and encouragement.

Jeff/1911 (grinning like an idiot).

Great knife. I got mine (plain edge) back when Frank Ruff had a closeout on them. It's a nice carry for when I dress up. Because the knife is so flat and rides so low, I just clip it to my waistband and let the knife ride inside my dress slacks. It just looks like a beeper, other than that little gold spyder on the clip.

Yeah, you should get one of these while you still can. $80 is a fair price I think.

Guyon,

Thanks for the reply. I will enjoy using and carrying this knife. I hadn't thought of IWB carry, but this model is probably a great choice for that carry style as it slim, smooth and light.

Jeff/1911.

Back