CA-How large of a folder can you carry?

I saw the new Cold Steel folder with a 6" blade. Are these legal to carry in the California concealed?

Thanks.

Hi Dave3006.

CA state laws allow concealed carry of folders of any size. Fixed blades cannot be concealed. Some cities have more restrictions like LA, SF and Berkeley. Autos are limited to 2" blade length.

Hank:cool:

Hank is generally correct. The California Penal Code is online somewhere if you'd like to check it out - forget exactly where. School campuses (including public colleges and universities) also have more restrictions (essentially a ban). The current issue of Blade has a 1-page article about California laws, but the emphasis is on the fact that fixed blades cannot be concealed, and not on the fact that folders are essentially unrestricted.

I live in San Francisco, and have searched the municipal code (see www.amlegal.com/sanfran/viewcode.htm), and I do not believe there are any additional restrictions in the city or county of SF. If there are, I'd sure like to know about them. I have read on the forums, but haven't verified, that LA County has additional restrictions.

miguel

LA City and County have additional restrictions that were printed in a thread here a few months ago. Basically, you can't carry in plain sight a knife with a blade of 3 or more inches. The ordinance doesn't seem to address concealed carry, but you should read it yourself (most LEOs I've asked seem to disagree with that interpretation). There are exceptions for legitimate recreational and vocational knife uses.

By the way, welcome to BF! We hope to hear from you more.

California Penal Codes can be found online here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

See codes 12020 & 653k for most of the knife laws. You can carry any size folder concealed.

See 626.10b for universities, you can carry any folder (non-auto), but fixed blades must be under 2.5".

San Francisco does have a more restrictive law, but it's kind of confusing, here it is:

San Francisco Police Code
ARTICLE 17 MISCELLANEOUS LICENSE REGULATIONS
SEC. 1291. PROHIBITING LOITERING WHILE CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS.

SEC. 1291. PROHIBITING LOITERING WHILE CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS.

(a) As used in this Section, but in no wise limited thereto, “dangerous or deadly weapon” shall mean: any knife with a blade three inches or more in length; any spring-blade, switch- blade, or snap-blade or other similar type knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick, or similar sharp, stabbing tool; any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle; any cutting, stabbing, bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, while carrying concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon, to loaf or loiter upon any public street, sidewalk, or alley, or to wander about from place to place, with no lawful business thereby to perform, or to hide, lurk, loiter upon or about the premises of another.
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person who has concealed upon his person or who has in his immediate physical possession any dangerous or deadly weapon to engage in any fight or to participate in any other rough or disorderly conduct upon any public place or way or upon the premises of another.
(d) It shall be unlawful for any person who has concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon to loiter about any place where intoxicating liquors are sold or any other place of public resort.
(e) The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business or for the purpose of legitimate recreation. (Amended by Ord. 9939, Series of 1939, App. 10/17/56)
You can find it here: http://www.amlegal.com/sanfrancisco...es&fn=document-frame.htm&q=knife&x=Simple&2.0 I ignore the above when in San Francisco :)

Thanks medusaoblongata!

Guess I'll have to find a different hobby than loitering around bars with my Griptilian.:)

miguel

So is a 3" TnT, a folder, or a fixed blade ?
Seems that could be a very gray area, it certainly folds, but prides itself on being in a safely fixed position when open.
Could I carry a 3" Mayo on a college campus or on the street in Newport Beach?
The personal profile you apporte may certainly determine your whereabouts after the kind policeman discovers what is in your pocket during a "Routine Stop".

Mrdi:

CA law is very clear that a folder must be kept in the folded position to be unrestricted (not considered a "dirk" or "dagger" in the language of the penal code). If it is open, it is a fixed blade (a "dirk" or "dagger") and can only be carried unconcealed. This shouldn't be much of an issue since it isn't safe or practical to carry most folders in the open position.

Therefore, in the eyes of the CA penal code, the TNT, like any other folding knife, is a folder when it is closed, and a fixed blade when it is open.

miguel

Yup...In San Francisco, the muni code for a knife is 1291MPC, which I've never used, but it does make a good "hammer." I've arrested a lot of people for 12020 sections, but have never gone to court on any of them, but then again, it is San fran, so a lot of crimes don't make it to court (but that's another story). I've also noticed that there is a ton of confusion regarding weapon laws in general, and it's a big pain in the rear to go through the penal code and find which section most applies.

--dan

Back