Cable Damascus

I know about the gas, I beleive its sulpher dioxide. If the initial heat was done outside in open air would it burn off all of the galvinizing. Then would this cable if properly fluxed weld into a solid billet.
I have accese to lots of winch cable ends that are 30 to 40 yards long that have never been used. This cable is usually 1 to 1 1/2 inches in dia. and some of it is even braded. Just seems like it could be used if a few percations were taken.

------------------
Robert
Flat Land Knife Works
rdblad@telusplanet.net
http://members.tripod.com/knifeworks/index.html

Hey again Robert,
if you soak the cable in muriatic
(37% hydrochloric) acid for a couple
minutes it should dissolve any galvanize on the cable, we used to use it to get rid of the galvanize so we could solder ducting and whatnot.
Havent talked to the waterjet guy yet, hopefully I should know something this week though.

Take care,

Rich

i think you would be opening a can of bad worms there you woldnt get all the acid washed out and burning that could get you dead then did you check to see if it had any carbon to begin with i think it would be more trouble then anything new cable is only a couple dallors a foot

------------------
All that is not Given Is Lost

Anyway You need to check the diameter of the wire strands. The welding heat required causes carbon loss up to .010" deep. Be sure to use cable that has thick strands or else the blade will not harden. Been there, Done that, Bruce B

Unless it is of a novel nature, use a known material. There's nothing wrong with forging chainsaw chain, Harley Davidson primary chain and whatnot due to the novelty. However, when you are making blades from cable, steel and whatnot, get something that you know will work in the beginning before you invest any time or energy and fighting with it all the way just trying to make it work.

Its like this. Not all leaf springs are 5160 and not all bearings are 52100. Don't use something unless you KNOW what it is.

C Wilkins

[This message has been edited by C L Wilkins (edited 04-04-2001).]

Back