Cadet, Electrician or Farmer

I'm looking to purchase my first Victorinox knife, but can't decide among the three. All have 'similar' features. Thoughts?

First decision point is size - Cadet is 84mm, the other 2 are 93mm. 84mm is lighter and smaller in all dimensions (slimmer, as well as shorter), and the tools are thinner.
If going for 93mm, the second point - Farmer has a wood saw, you need to decide if you need one. If you don't, your choice is actually between Pioneer and Electrician. Can opener on the Pioneer works on Phillips screws, in addition to opening cans... If you do not need those features, but like the sheepfoot blade, go for the Electrician.

P.S. You can't really to wrong with either of the above! :D

First decision point is size - Cadet is 84mm, the other 2 are 93mm. 84mm is lighter and smaller in all dimensions (slimmer, as well as shorter), and the tools are thinner.
If going for 93mm, the second point - Farmer has a wood saw, you need to decide if you need one. If you don't, your choice is actually between Pioneer and Electrician. Can opener on the Pioneer works on Phillips screws, in addition to opening cans... If you do not need those features, but like the sheepfoot blade, go for the Electrician.

P.S. You can't really to wrong with either of the above! :D

Thanks for the reply. I carry a Benchmade 940 as my EDC. I was just looking for something else to help out in some cases. I work as an estimator for an electrical contractor, and have found myself needing to open a junction box a few times, with no screwdriver on me. The electrician version has a larger flat blade. It might be worthwhile to have a smaller screw blade as well- Pioneer, Farmer or Cadet.

Tool use.....
Would use:
Knife
Large/small screw driver
Nail file
Bottle opener
Wood saw?!? Maybe

Would not use:
Can opener
Reamer

Looks like the Cadet Alox would be a good purchase then? It's also smaller, lighter, etc. so it wouldn't be an issue throwing it in my pocket for work. Thoughts?!?

have an look also on the micro farmer, video is on the swissbianco youtube channel

Picked up a red Cadet ALOX.....

14625408153_39f25b30d3_c.jpg

Picked up a red Cadet ALOX.....

14625408153_39f25b30d3_c.jpg

I agree. You already carry a larger knife. Stop looking elsewhere and get the Alox Cadet. It is the only choice you can live with day in and day out. A search on the internet will show a lot of people arrived at this same conclusion. (The voice of experience).

Some pics of the Cadet ALOX. This knife/tool is awesome. Build quality is superb, it dissapears in your pocket and is very light. I think everyone should own a Cadet ALOX.

14659907215_b2f89415fa_c.jpg

14656689281_b38d7dfb6c_c.jpg

14473227690_05ce9b7d82_c.jpg

14473266439_e196cbbaab_c.jpg

there is the cadet plus with saw and the micro farmer with saw and small blade instead of the nailfile, videos are on the swissbianco youtube channel.

I love my Cadet, it is the perfect size backup utility knife. I cleaned eight trout with it this weekend. I had a salt 1 (my preferred fishing knife), but my mother-in-law was using it to prepare the rest of lunch. It was still razor sharp after cleaning all the fish. Now cleaning it on the on the other hand was a different story.

The Cadet is great, my one great wish is that the nail file be changed out with a short blade, then I'd be buying another Cadet straight away ;)

I have the black one, nice carry size;

Apoc_Cadet.jpg~original

Cadet_1.jpg~original

cadet_skull2.jpg~original

cadet_skull.jpg~original

I did change out the split ring for a smaller one, picked them up at a craft store, fits the knife much better

cadet_splitring.jpg~original

G2

Even though you chose the cadet (which I also have and love) I recently picked up the Electrician and it is my new favorite EDC. I keep it in my uniform shirt pocket at work and in the front right pocket when off duty:

Never understood the electrician? How can it not have a Phillips screwdriver?? Most electrical work has a Phillips screw??

I just snagged a black Cadet and mostly for the nail file because I find those are better for when I catch one with a carbide or some other such thing where I need it sanded down. Since I do that all the time it made sense. While I love the knife and find renewed interest in SAK since the days of the pop off red handles that led me to have Oupa put fiddleback maple scales on one, I must say that the one that excites me the most is the ALOX mini champ. I love the orange peeler! I really do!

For me due to all the nicking and chip damage to my nails all the time I need the file and at least a flat head and phillips. The scissors are handy I must admit and I missed them when I retired the old Wenger because those serrated scissiors outlasted every plain pair I have and still cut even now!

I like the farmer but I'm not sure which it is as I had no need for the cork screw. None. Nor do I really need the cap opener but it just tags along with most flat head drivers. That there silver alox with the sheeps foot blade, main and what is that a leather punch? Anyway, cool knife! Which one is that!?

I recently was gifted this lovely Electrician from a bloke in Australia, Ken goes by harronek on the forums, thanks again Ken.

And a Phillips would be tough to fit on there I think, for me and I think a lot of others, we could do without that curved area on the sheepsfoot, we'd be better served if it were just a straight edged sheepsfoot.

SAK_Electric.jpg~original

G2

edited to add one of the best used tools on that for me is the Awl, a tough scraper, punch, able to cut into softer metal to knock down sharp edges if need be, it's been a useful tool, for me at least!

Last edited:
I think, for me and I think a lot of others, we could do without that curved area on the sheepsfoot, we'd be better served if it were just a straight edged sheepsfoot.

SAK_Electric.jpg~original

G2

Gary you sure know how to swing that camera around :thumbup:

I'm in absolute agreement with you on the Sheepsfoot blade .
I just wish the Swiss weren't so efficient , imagine if they let their quality control slip just for a minute and forgot to grind the curved section on about 100 Electrician blades , their terrible mistake would sell like hot cakes .

Ken

Love my Cadets. I love that they have the Phillips head driver option. I needed it and BOOM it was there. Very handy.

Picked up my most recent Cadet in black just a few days ago.

Back