California Definition of "Switchblades": Is this legal?

Being that the flipper tab is separate from the blade similar to the Kickstop mechanism, I believe it would fall under the switchblade definition.

I sure hope not as own a 3" bladed version of this with little different styling and love it. Not sure how they can interpret the laws of switchblade covering everything of "assistance". On mine, the mechanism I use is the thumbstud but it takes quite a bit of pressure. Also, I have modded it in the past, removing the spring altogether so it is then more like a manual knife. Like it either way but if you are worried then try taking out the spring. Ignoring the price altogether, these line-up of S&W's are some pretty awesome, very functional blades.

Not sure how they can interpret the laws of switchblade covering everything of "assistance"
That's not the issue. The issue is that you're able to open the knife without touching the blade via a mechanism in the handle (the separate flipper style actuator), that's what makes it a switchblade...not the assisted mechanism.

I agree completely with WValtakis.

The fact that the knife can be opened manually doesn't change the fact that it can also be opened automatically by merely pressing a lever. And by "opened automatically" I'm referring to the blade being fully opened and locked into position by means of a spring, activated by the pressing of a lever mechanism.

Just like a double-action side-opener switchblade. The fact that it can be opened manually doesn't change the fact that it's still a switchblade because it can also be opened automatically.

Of course all this means is that you would not be able to legally carry the knife in the state of California. You can still own it in California (except in San Francisco where all switchblades are illegal to possess).

Thanks for the clarification. Going back to what WV said, so long as the blade is opened via blade itself and not a separate actuator then should be OK. I could be wrong as its been awhile since disassembled and normally run mine in manual mode but it is possible the actuator is a separate part. If this is the case then it can be removed entirely and then using the knife via thumbstud even with assist technology should be good to go. Again, no lawyer here but does seem logical.

Thanks for the clarification. Going back to what WV said, so long as the blade is opened via blade itself and not a separate actuator then should be OK. I could be wrong as its been awhile since disassembled and normally run mine in manual mode but it is possible the actuator is a separate part. If this is the case then it can be removed entirely and then using the knife via thumbstud even with assist technology should be good to go. Again, no lawyer here but does seem logical.

Yes.

In my opinion, if the lever were removed there would be no other means of opening the knife automatically and the knife would then become a manual assisted opening knife and no longer be a switchblade. And as a result, it would be legal to possess and carry under California state law as assisted knives that have a bias towards the closed position and require manual pressure to be applied to the blade to open it are legal (provided there is no other automatic mechanism to also open the knife).

Back