calypso jr - first impressions

Hi all,

Just got my Calypso Jr (ordered from Knife Outlet). In a word, WOW.

This is hands down the sharpest blade I've ever used. Straight out of the box, it was incredibly keen. After a few strokes on a strop, even better. The full flat grind of the Micarta version is excellent - evenly ground along the sorta semi-swedged spine.

Out of the box,the action is smooth, but not great - I hope it wil loosen up with time. The lock-up is *very* crisp - one of the 'snappiest' lockbacks I've ever used.

I managed to hold off on modifying it for about an hour, but the urge was too great. The Dremel emery wheel allowed me to smooth off the transition between the thumb-ramp and the spine of the blade, as per another forum-ite's suggestions. I also ground/polished a small notch in the locking bar a la the lightweight version. Not essential, for sure, but now it does provide more positive indexing of the locking bar when I'm not actually looking where my thumb is.

Overall, I'm *very* impressed with the QA and attention to detail in a knife of this price. What more can you say - it's perfect at the price.

If anyone out there is looking for a small, unthreatening daily carry, you'd be nuts to overlook the Calypso. Very impressive effort...

Cheers,
Tim

Tim,

As you were grinding away the sharp "cusp", did you also round off the apex of the swedge-like grind forward of the hole? I have performed this operation on 3 out of 3 Calypsos Jr. that I own. A definite improvement, if you ask me. Just because the knife is attractive and light weight doesn't mean you can't use it hard. And when you use it hard, your thumb will thank you for this modification.

Congratulations on the knew knife. Do you think you'll get a lightweight? Calypsos are like Lays potato chips: no one can [own] just one.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

I just rounded off the transition from the thumb ramp to the swedge - nothing too radical, just radiussing the transition a little more. The ramp is still a positive thumb stop, just not quite as sharp.

I'll see how I go with the swedge. If I find it uncomfortable when 'choking up' on the knife, I'll flatten it with the emery wheel. for now though, I kinda like the look of the swedge.

Great knife though, and even better with a few strategic mods.

Cheers,
Tim

the calypso is an awesome knife. i first got a micarta jr. loved it dearly, but gave it to my dad for christmas. by that time i had gotten a plain edge large calypso. i love that thing!! it's my dedicated "suit knife", looks dignified and i know it won't let me down. i just found a good deal on another micarta jr, so that's on its way. have to get a hold of a lightweight to complement them.

anyone else feel that the calypso is a gentlemans version of the native? close in size, both have the forward choil, but the calypso has smoother flowing lines. love 'em both and couldn't imagine living without either one.

I made the same modification to my Cal jr as described by David Rock.

This is a great knife. Quality is top of the line and ergonomics is perfect for me. As close to perfection as it gets in a gentleman's knife.

I have yet to get a lightweight. I don't think the upgrade in steel edge holding offsets going to zytel from micarta. Micarta is quality handle material where as zytel feel cheap, IMO.

------------------
Roger Blake

The Cal jr is a great knife. I use it as a money clip. The action is smooth and feels solid, in a way like my sebenza. Another nice thing is I carry it when traveling through airports. No problem, just put it in the tray knife side dowm and no worries. Coming back from Las Vegas last week, it didn't even trip the alarm when I forgot and left it in my pocket.
Best small knife for the money on the market IMHO.
Jim

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?
And just what are you going to do with this one that you can't do with the others?
What is the purpose of all these knives anyhow??

Tim & other Calypso owners,
I've seen several owners refer to modifying the top of the knife near the spine, but mine seems to be smooth; nothing bothers my thumb.

BUT . . . I can't figure out where to put my forefinger! Do you all hold yours in front or behind the ridge on the bottom of the knife?

The Calypso Jr. is one of the great "sleeper" knives out there. Its quality surpasses the price you pay for noe of these knives.

I've owned and bought several micarta Jr's for myself, my wife, and several as gifts. All great knives. I'm looking forward to picking up a Ltwt. soon, as I'm very curious to see how the new steel compares on a day-to-day basis to what I've become used to on the micarta versions.

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Back