Calypso Jr in CF? Ever?

johnniet

Gold Member
A while back the idea of a Calypso Jr. in carbon fiber was mentioned, but I haven't heard anything since.
Is this something that might happen in the next year or so? If there are CF Civilians and Ladybugs, I would think that the Calypso Jr. would also have sufficient demand.

Hi Johnniet. Probably not likely. As much as some of the more knowledgable ELUs appreciate the refinement of the Calypso design, there are not enough of them. The Calypso jr sales do not, at this time, warrant variations.

Thanx for the interest though. The design is one of my own and much time was spent to create it.

sal

Sal, The Calypso Jr. is one of my favorites. I have 2 of the micarta handle ones. It reminds me of a "Daddy" sized Dragonfly, which if I had to pick, is one of my all time favorite knife designs of any manufacturer or custom maker. My other favorite is the G-10 Rookie. Would it be unethical or illegal to have a custom knife made that is based on one of your/Spyderco's designs. I have thought how great a D2 bladed, ivory micarta handled Calypso Jr. would be with a front titanium bolster! I have an idea (I am sure I am not the first) how about a Spyderco Custom Shop? I don't know if it would be profitable, but from a knifenut standpoint it is something neat to think about...Ed.

Edd;;

Your giving me chills man....

D2
Ivory Micarta

YummmmmmmmY....

I'd also like to say that a CF Calypso Jr. interests me very much. I wonder if there could possibly be a G-10 or CF or maybe a different colored FRN Calypso Jr. available as a sprint run for forumites? Perhaps one with the shell inlay covering the entire front of the scale, similar to the prototype for the Vesuvius... That'd be nice.

Just wondering....

--Matt

[This message has been edited by Mundele (edited 05-13-2001).]

I think that the question of prettier handles for Calypso Jrs shows up almost as often as diamond sleeves/rods for Sharpmakers.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I am another Calypso Jr. (and Dragonfly) fan and I'd love it. I think they're two (or maybe one?) of Sal's best designs. When I first saw the pictures of the CJ and Dragonfly, I wasn't immediately convinced, but they quickly grew on me and I decided they were must-haves. I don't carry either my CJ (Black Micarta) or my CF Dragonfly every day, but I often do carry them when I want something especially good looking (that still cuts like crazy
smile.gif
).

I understand Sal's point that they are not Spyderco's best sellers, but the design is so refined that we knife knuts really appreciate it. I try never to miss an opportunity to join in the agitation for a "special" CJ or Dragonfly.

Paul

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu
A tool is, basically, an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.

So Sal, is there any chance that a special "sprint" run of Calypso Jr's might be made for us forumites?

--Matt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mundele:
So Sal, is there any chance that a special "sprint" run of Calypso Jr's might be made for us forumites?

--Matt
</font>

I'm not Sal, but I think that hard experience with the BF Natives and grey Matriarchs has shown that forumites don't buy enough knives for a major variation to be produced just for us. If it is something that the general market will accept - like the CF Civilians and the bug-inlayed Militaries, then there is a chance -- but Sal indicated that the Calypso Jr. isn't popular enought to justify this.

As a fellow Calypso Jr. lover, maybe we need to start trying to convince everyone we know to buy them. IMO there isn't a production knife on the market with better edge geometry for cutting/slicing applications.

Back