calypso Jr.

could someone give me a quick rundown of which blade materials, blade grinds and handle materials go with each version of this knife? Thanks.

Yhe Calypso Jr. LW has a flat ground blade of VG-10(which is, by the way, the cuttingest production knife made, IMO) and a Zytel handle. There is also a version with an AUS 8 blade and a micarta handle.

If you don't have a Calypso Jr. in VG-10, get one. You won't be disappointed. It is an unbelievable little knife.

I second Coonskinner the the little Calypso Lt. is really one the best knives Spyderco has put out it's a real cutter.

There is also SS handeled Calypso jr with hollow ground Aus-8 blade. It is quite hefty.(SS 120.9g , ltwt 54.1g and micarta 64.3g in plain edged configuration)

The permutations seem to be:

1. Fully flat ground VG-10 blade, FRN handles
2. Fully flat ground 8A blade, micarta handles
3. Hollow ground 8A blade, steel handles

The permutation we all want to see but isn't available:
Fully flat ground VG-10 blade, micarta handles

Joe

now what do you guys think of serations with flat ground VG-10? Do they perform differently than serrations on other grinds do?

Callahwj,

As serrations go, the serrations on the flat ground Calypso Jr. are as good as any. However, with this particular model, I prefer to take advantage of the plain edged version's superb edge geometry and unsurpassed cutting efficiency. If you get the plain edged Calypso Jr. you've got the sharpest pocket scalpel you're likely to find, whereas if it's serrated, it's just another serrated knife.

Putting serrations on a Calypso Jr. Lightweight is like Hitler's idea of putting bombs on the Messerschmitt 262.

cool, thanks david. I was thinking that maybe the grind would make them perform better, but in retrospect, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Back