Camillus Collectors Club

I posted on another thread a few months ago that I had called Camillus and inquired about the club, or lack of. I was told that it was no longer existing. I mentioned that there was still a link on their website that allows you to join, she said that it was being removed. As far as I know it is still there, so people can still send their money and join, and that's just plan not right. At least I only joined for a year and spent $10.00. I got two newsletters and was able to buy the club knife so I got my money's worth, but what about those folks who paid for lifetime membership? Seems like there should be some kind of refund for those folks.

Well, I think those that paid for lifetime membership , all the best! haha
Well then, to conclude it all, Camillius Club has been SHUT DOWN! Spread the message! So that others will not fall into the trap!

If I'd paid the $100 and received zilch, I'd be seriously p.o.'ed.

We can always start our own club. I'm not sure how it would work without Camillus being a part of it, or even if anyone would be interested. But it might work.

We can always start our own club. I'm not sure how it would work without Camillus being a part of it, or even if anyone would be interested. But it might work.

I believe the short life of the Camillus Collector's Club speaks volumes about collector interest in the brand. Why did it fail? Every business promotion is based upon economic realities. They produced, from what I read here, two newsletters and one club knife. But how many members were involved, i.e. revenue base? I could see them continuing the club if it were merely self-supporting, but what if it turned out to be a money pit for an already cash strapped company? I've always been pleased with the quality of the Camillus knives I've owned and handled, but the vast majority of their production has been hidden behind SFO stamps, and Camillus has been historically slow to do self promotions, prefering to sell larger orders to others who take the credit for their products.

Secondly, every collector's guide I have read lists Camillus knives as being low in collectability. The mainstream of collectors have for many years ignored the brand (and their sub-brands). Even now, when their production goals are shifting after this year's bad publicity and likely record losses, the posts I have made here regarding what I consider to be very collectable, well made knives draw very few responses and examples from others, with a few exceptions of course. I'm sure that a part of this is due to the modern collector's fixation on investment/monetary value of their knives. Only a relatively few Codgers such as myself concentrate on the historical aspects of Camillus design and manufacture.

Lastly, the "club wagon" will sit idle in the yard until a lead horse comes along willing to harness up and pull it himself. Are you offering to pony up?

Codger ;)

My problem is, I would have no idea, where or how to start.
I guess a production knife could be found, blade etched for a club knife. A patch could be made, maybe a bumper sticker, but a newsletter .... what news? I have emailed Camillus a couple of times for background on a series, such as production numbers, dates, pictures or other articles, but no replies.
And news about the Camillus company is even more scarce.
Until they are willing to give some imput on themselves and their product, I see no hope for a club.
And Codger, I know what you mean by your remarks. Most people are interested in a certain knife, or type of knife, and have no further interest.
I can find very little history on the Company, due to the fact I am a "newcomer" to collecting and all of the articles and historical items, are long gone.
My focus is trying to find all model numbers of the different series, with pictures and dates, but that has hit a brick wall. I know Camillus has this info, but it seems no one there is interested in taking time to look it up for a nobody like me.
Without Camillus being a part of the club, it is finished.
PS scuse any spelling errors

Codger_64 wrote:
They produced, from what I read here, two newsletters and one club knife.

Actually the Camillus Collectors Club produced at least three, possibly four or more (I can't remember for certain), newsletters and two club knives. The first one was a large trapper with a bone handle, which I purchased, and the second was a large barlow. The first year trapper was a very nice knife and I'm sure the barlow was too but I unfortunately had to pass on it that year. They also had an inexpensive stainless steel handled member knife that one could purchase when becoming a member. 'Camillus Collectors Club Member' was etched in script on the handles. I bought three of those. One for myself and the other two for a couple of my nephews that I sponsored junior memberships for. The junior memberships were free. The club existed for about two years. I don't know exactly how long because I don't know when it ceased to exist. What upset me the most was that Camillus didn't let the members know anything about the status of the club. I was a charter regular member the first year and I upgraded to life membership the second year. They did send me a baseball cap when I upgraded to life membership. A nice hat, but by itself definitely not worth a hundred dollars. The person (I forget his name) at Camillus who ran the club seemed very enthusiastic about it but, it seems, he didn't continue to get the company support he needed.

If Camillus treated their business associates with the same lack of attention that they treated their club members I can understand why they ended up with the financial problems they have. Still, I hope they survive and improve. Some of my favorite knives were manufactured by Camillus.

I am not a Camillus collector, but I do run across one once in a while in my antiques buying. I presently have a bone-handled one with two blades each measuring roughly three inches from end to end. With both blades open, the one on the right has the words Camillus New York at its base. The other blade has the number 20 on it. (Turned over, the knife's nomenclature presentation is the same.) Both blades have clearly been well (or at least _extensively_) used and sharpened.
Can anyone give me any idea what this item might be worth? Where's the best place to offer it for sale?
Any/all help will be appreciated.
doug harris
Masonville Antiques

Back