Camillus Mark 2 USN I picked up from ebay

I had posted this on the Ka-Barr forum but I thought it might be more appropriate over here.

Here is my Mark 2 next to the knife I'm basing on the Mark 2. You can see on the pommel it is a pinned one.
TKgSjds.jpg

The guard
WRfxg2s.jpg

And it cleaned up a little
cH1XebI.jpg

Does anyone know if the Ka-Barr replacement handle parts will work ok on the Camillus?

Reactions: 315
The leather disks will fit no problem. The issue would be the replacement pommel.

The original WW2 era pinned pommels were only 1/4" thick and the hole went all the way through.

Kabar's replacement kit pommel is 3/8" thick and the pin hole is "blind", i.e., only 3/4 of the way through the pommel.

A solution for that issue would be to file down a little on each side of the pommel pin tang so that he pommel can sit down deeper onto the tang, allowing the pin holes to align. Using a blind pin would work just as well as a through pin. You'd just have to slowly take enough off to let the alignment occur.

Its just a shame these fine knives arent full tang or at least what i would call 3/4 tang. Imo they are 1/4 tang and should be beefed up.
I know full tang would cause the loss of the great leather handle.

Its just a shame these fine knives arent full tang or at least what i would call 3/4 tang. Imo they are 1/4 tang and should be beefed up.
If I read the schematics correctly the tang is 17/32 and the space on either side is 9/32.

Not everyone likes full width tangs. The extra weight takes away from the lively feeling the knives have. They become clunky. Plenty of KaBars out there very few with broken tangs.

I own 50 plus fixed blades and only a couple with full tangs.

Yes i had thought about the added weight so good point. I displace 230lbs of which a large % is raw muscle(total BS:p)so weight is not an issue.
And 50 fixed blades,geeezzz! What have i been doing with my time and money....:D
Just added it up i think I’m good for 15 of which 6 are of high quality. Thats right i have 6 Buck fixed blades. IJS ;)

Since the knife your making is an approximation of the 1219C2 to begin with, I'm not sure I see why your at all concerned with the 1/4 pommel verses the 3/8 pommel.

Back