Camillus Military Pocket Knife

Its the same as a Swiss army knife. small hook on the outside of the can and big hook on the inside. Use it, thats what is for. It works. Just dont open two tools at the same time. Open only one tool at a time and the springs will out last you.

Yep, I know how to operate the can opener. I was curious if it performs well and how durable the tip is during use. Has anyone had any problems with the tip snapping off while opening a can?

Here's an eBay photo of a 1974 and 1992 model. The '74 can opener tip is missing. Good chance it was used improperly.

!B4jyhtg!2k~$(KGrHqF,!iEEycftsu8GBMqSUU0umQ~~_3.JPG

Last edited:
Like you said "Good chance it was used improperly". I only used the can opener if I didn't have my P38. The P38 made a lot smoother cut.

I still have both of these plus my P38 from my Vietnam days. Both work great even after mild "abuse" in the jungle.

Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear that with proper use, these knives are as tough as they look. :thumbup:

I think I read that the main blade is 440-B. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the other three tools the same?

Last edited:
In an earlier thread about the "demo" knife the card used for the manufacture was posted and it stated the type of metal used. Do a search of the Camillus forum for other threads for this knife.

Thanks edbeau! Lots to read, but interesting.

It says the blades are either 440A, 440B, or 440C. Other tools are either 420 or 440A. Everything else is stainless, except the pins are nickel silver.

Thanks for a great post. I think Irv and Art have provided a great service for everyone on the forum. Great information.

Would it be possible to learn the original source of the drawings and tech information?

I have collected these knives for many years and this is super stuff to add to my documentation. Thank you again.

I am trying to figure out how to post a .doc file from Word to the forum, either directly or to Google for a link, as done by Irv - but not so easy for a cyber-dummy. I will keep trying to figur it out.

I would like to post my list of these MIL-K-818s and commercial versions and prototypes and variations for the information of anyone interested and of course would be appreciative of any pointers, gaps or errors - assuing I can get the durn thing posted, that is.

Thanks again. I am really enjoying the forum.

The .doc file can be "copy and paste" to the box. Not sure if there is a size limit but give it a shot.

I was at a surplus store 2 years ago and they had a whole bucket of them from the military. A lot of them were in rough shape, most of them had broken bails and the can openers snapped off. But I dug through and eventually found a good one, think I paid around 7 or 8 bucks, It says 1993 peace target on the blade.

Whaaaaat? Go open a can. It's not going to break. I've been opening cans with that knife for years. Those breaks occur when guys are mishandling the knife. Go for it.

Last edited:
Back