Camillus Tang stamps and dates

Trying to positively date the knives just by their tang stamps can be a little tricky. It's not uncommon for some models to have a transition from one style stamp to another sooner than other models. I understand that some Camillus folders were thought to have changed from the four-line stamp to the three-line stamp as early as late 1944. If anyone has provenance to what happened and when you've come to the right place.

Wow, there's lot of info in that document! Great tool, I'm printing out a copy to add to my reference materials.

As a relatively new member to the forum, I just watch and learn. I have scavenged data from many sources, it is great to see so many tang id's in one place. It will be a great reference for me....Thank you.....BRAVO !!

Frank, Welcome to BladeForums! I frequently refer to this thread. It is indeed a great reference.

tJhpW1v
Hello, new member here, I have a four line with U.S.M.C stamped in the wooden handle.
https://ibb.co/Y3CMSyd
https://ibb.co/tJhpW1v

I've got a new tang stamp inquiry for you on Camillus and I apologize for not having pictures. The tang stamp on the clip-point is two line and just says Camillus and "made in the USA" underneath in very small print.

The knife it pertains to is a 4" stockman and has black, jigged delrin scales, nickel silver bolsters, and has the oval Camillus shield on the scale. The clip-point is not swedged which I think they quit doing that in the 1980's. The tang on the back side of the clip-point has no model stamping though it appears to be a C-2. Does anyone know the dating of that tang stamp because I've never seen a Camillus that didn't say New York on it.

I've got a new tang stamp inquiry for you on Camillus and I apologize for not having pictures. The tang stamp on the clip-point is two line and just says Camillus and "made in the USA" underneath in very small print.

The knife it pertains to is a 4" stockman and has black, jigged delrin scales, nickel silver bolsters, and has the oval Camillus shield on the scale. The clip-point is not swedged which I think they quit doing that in the 1980's. The tang on the back side of the clip-point has no model stamping though it appears to be a C-2. Does anyone know the dating of that tang stamp because I've never seen a Camillus that didn't say New York on it.
With a high degree of probability, this knife was assembled from left over parts in 2005-2006 for sale via SMKW.

Back