Camp Blood Variant arrived...

Well, I have my first "Horton in the house!"...a Camp Bood Variant I was able to snag from the Steel Ho' (thanks Mang' )

Built like a brick house...and the saw back is a thing of beauty to be sure...

One question though - and don't get your hackles up...why the convex grind?

I was soured on the convex grind after buying a Falkniven Forest Knife years ago...pitiful edge on that blade.

The Camp Blood has a good edge, but won't take hair off....

What's are the trade-offs with a flat or convex grind (other than the strength of the edge) ?

Thanks...
Just wonderin'...mang'

That knife was very sharp when It left,, I think the convex grind profile fits the overall performance realm of a large camp blade,, well the good thing is you bought a used semisharp Horton Knife,, where a trip to the Compound will make her poppin fresh as long as can hold steel in my Old ass Feeble Hands,,

SU1HMDAxNjIuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDAxNjUuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDAxNjcuanBn.jpg

I never seen hair-poppin sharp until I got the skelly warden that Horton had for sale recently. Previously I was satisfied with paper cuttin and shaving (with pressure against grain on course body hair... won't tell you where :)) but now after 'testing' the stropped skelly warden from Horton I just placed an order for a leather strop and two different compounds!

Imagine just running the blade over the back of my hands and the fine soft hair (I'm asian, we got pretty nice and soft body hair :)) and with no pressure it popped the hair! The expression that comes into mind is one used by a forumite and that is that it bloody tree-topped my hair!

Basically what I'm saying is, get a strop and learn how to strop. I didn't believe the 'hype' but now I'm gonna be making all my edges crazy sharp soon :)

By the way, Jeremy, thanks for a great deal/service and I'll be leaving you a well deserved feedback!

No problem,, mang,, glad to do business,, once the good edge geometry is there,, stropping is fast and easy,,,

A Convex edge is also the best for chopping, right ?

Love these Hortons, got two allready and if it wasn't for this lame knife market, I'd be selling more of my other knives and buying another one.

Back