Camp digger

I was approached a month or so back about making a knife that will chop, dig, cut, and be an overall beater around camp. Between the customer and myself we came up with this. Blade is around 5.75" with an overall around 11.25"
Made from 1/4" 0-1 with a natural canvas micarta handle. Reminds me of a broom handle 9mm :D The finish is cold bluein after etch. The false edge will be sharpened a little.
Shovel.jpg

Shovelgrip.jpg

ShovelTop.jpg

ShovelBot.jpg

I still have to cleath the top of the spine and sharpen her up....after the sheath is made :p

wow you dont kid around that thing looks like it has some real heft
real nice
bet that was a blast to grind :rolleyes:

That's a monster for sure, and quite nice. The only concern I would have is that the micarta 'guard ears' may break and/or separate from the blade during heavy use.

Whoa nelly!! I'm a freak for big beefy blades like that :eek: I am curious how much it weighs :cool:
Looking forward to see the sheath .
Great work Brian.

If your customer is smart, you'll have a couple of add on sales with one of your smaller knives, and one of those piggy back sheaths you put together a while back. Nice work!

jiminy said:
That's a monster for sure, and quite nice. The only concern I would have is that the micarta 'guard ears' may break and/or separate from the blade during heavy use.
Hopefully they wont. Live and learn so we'll see ;)

Really like that knife!! Great design. How much would something like that cost?

Just out of curiousity, how hard did you make this knife?
Unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't you want such a knife to be a little softer?

It weighs about a pound with the sheath.
It is made from 1/4" 0-1, with a hardened edge and a soft back. Stock removal method.

It's a monster!
It really appeals to my taste.
The handle looks very comfortable, non-abrasive and secure.

Walking Man said:
Just out of curiousity, how hard did you make this knife?
Unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't you want such a knife to be a little softer?
Its around RC 58. Should be good for a chopper. I havent had 0-1 fail on me yet. Good stuff!

Back