Camp hatchet

Looking for recommendations on a good camp hatchet. I carry a Gerber/Fiskers full-size axe in my truck but looking for something smaller for camp duty.

There's been a small uprising of people on ESEE/RAT's Facebook page calling for them to make a hatchet. I think that's a brilliant idea ;) Until that day, what else is good out there? :D

I would be interested in what ESEE would come up with too. It seems to me that an axe is not so much of a survival tool as maybe a machete since axes are more for heavy work.
Of course they could still make one!

What about the small size gerber axe? Those seemed nice. How do you like the big one?

I would be interested in what ESEE would come up with too. It seems to me that an axe is not so much of a survival tool as maybe a machete since axes are more for heavy work.
Of course they could still make one!

What about the small size gerber axe? Those seemed nice. How do you like the big one?
I haven't used mine yet, but it's nicely made and relatively inexpensive. Plus it's light. Makes a great axe for strapping to the truck when in the woods (we're required to have an axe and a shovel when on Forest Service or public land around here).

Estwing is always a classic.

Looks like the Husqvarnas get pretty good reviews and seem to be decently priced!

Since you already have a Fiksars, get a smaller one. Fiskars axes are great tools, from the small camp hatchets to the large splitting ones.
I've handled both the average 44cm and the 92cm spiltter. Both are great!

I'm sure it's not what your looking for but I got a Swamp Rat Crash Axe.
(Specs - Steel SR-77 = 29.8 ounces; .25” thick; 3.75”edge; 3.5” spike; 14.25” oal)
DSC01560.jpg

I would love to see an ESEE axe/hatchet.

I'm sticking with Fiskars. I destroyed one of their 14" axes (my fault) and they replaced it no questions asked. I only had to send them a picture of the damaged axe.

I used the crap out of it too. My plan is to buy a small back pack version and a larger splitter type axe.

Gerber pack axe combo, great little hatchet, indestructable, comes with a nice little utility blade in the handle.

I've got the Gerber Camp Ax, without the knife in the handle. Nice handy packing size, with belt sheath. Won't be chopping down any trees with it, but handy for kindling, etc.

EarlFH

Nice wood handles sure are nice but I am pretty happy with my Fiskars. walmart is selling the hatchet now over in lawn and garden.

Back