Camp & hiking knife

Hey guys,
I am fairly new to BF and spend my time here browsing and reading from the archives, but now this forum has my curiosity peaked. I am seriously looking for my next camping knife and have narrowed the search down some, but I REALLY like the looks of some of the Becker Knives I have seen here. Where is the best place to browse and look at the different models? What knife would be the best to have in camp but not too long to carry? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

What is too long to carry? You have to answer that question yourself as we all have different tastes. I'll carry anything from a BK&T #7 to a 3 lb 26" long khukuri. :D

I would propose you might find the BK 7 about ideal. It's about the same size as a military KaBar knife with a 7" blade which I find very versatile. A step down in size would be the BK2 with a 5" blade.

My BK 7:
HPIM1013.jpg

Sounds like a BK-2 with a 5" blade will fit your bill. Not 'too big' and it can be clubbed through firewood to make kindling.

sound off for the BK 2!
it is all you will need until you get a BK 9!

www.gpknives.com has them nicely laid out with sheaths and everything (with the 7 and 9 at least)

I like the BK2 for camp, but for hiking, the BK7 would be lighter and would also do great camping. You cant loose either way tho.

Hey thanks for the information guys. I think the 5" will do for me ( its like you guys can read minds or something lol!). My next question: would I be better off to buy a BK-2 or a RAT RC-4? I currently EDC a OD green Izula and am pretty happy with it, but I want to get some outside opinions before I buy either. I just dont want to contract a case of buyers remorse. Any and all information is appreciated.

Personally, I'd go with the BK-2. In fact, I already did. While there's nothing wrong with the RAT RC-4, I personally don't think it's a better knife (I like the sheath, though), and it costs a whole lot more. They're both good knives, but I like the BK-2 better. The thing I do like about the RAT RC-4 is the Micarta scales. But wait! Micarta scales will be available for the BK-2 in a little while!

I would -- and did -- go for the BK-2.

Bob Dawson

O.K., I went to the website above and it shows a Becker BK-2 for around $57.00. This is probably a stupid question, but it says it is made by Ka-Bar. I was under the impression that Becker was its own company. Please set out the facts so I will understand this deal. Also, is this the knife I should buy, or should I look for an older model?

There are others here far more knowledgeable than I who can probably give you more history, but here's what I understand. The knife was designed by Ethan Becker*and was, until recently, produced by Camilus Cutlery. It had been produced by others over the years (and has been pretty much copied by still others), but Camilus*was the last major producer. Camilus went out of business awhile back. Becker then turned to Ka-Bar for production of the Becker line of knives. Ka-Bar is an old and highly respected knife maker, and has produced what is arguably the most famous fixed blade knife --the USMC Ka-Bar -- in the world for a very long time.
The steel used for the Ka-Bar BK-2 is 1095 Cro-Van with the famous Ka-Bar heat treatment. I've never run any tests on the Camilus steel versus the Ka-Bar steel, but from what I've been able to read, the Ka-Bar version is the better knife. In other words, buy the new (Ka-Bar) version.

Thanks, that clears everything up for me. I have one of the original Ka-Bar USMC fighting knives and love it. I really dont know why I want another camp knife ( I just have a weakness for knives I guess). I think I am going to wait to see if the handle material changes before I buy. I really appreciate your knowledge and input and look forward to talking to you again. Take care and GOD bless.

Hey, Blade Collector.

There's good news: the Micarta scales for the BK-2 will be an after market option, so you can put them on at any time -- you don't have to wait for them to be available for original purchase. It's not an either/or thing: you can have the best of both worlds. The scales that come with the BK-2 right now are outstanding, and you may never want to change them.
I'd say get the BK-2, and use and enjoy it, and if you want to change later for any reason, then go for it.

Bob Dawson

The steel used for the Ka-Bar BK-2 is 1095 Cro-Van with the famous Ka-Bar heat treatment. I've never run any tests on the Camilus steel versus the Ka-Bar steel, but from what I've been able to read, the Ka-Bar version is the better knife. In other words, buy the new (Ka-Bar) version.

Just to clarify a bit here, the 1095 steel that Ka-Bar uses is a good steel,
and the Ka-Bar heat treat is good, but the 0176-C steel that was used
in the Camilus knives is no slouch either. My BK9 is the Camilus 0176-C
and I have beaten on it lots. It has done more than it's fair share of
what you would call "camp chores", and has held up very very well.

Basically, the knife is a winner, no matter which steel you use, because
Ethan has taken the time to make the knife "right".

Oh, and weighing in on which kind of knife you should get, I'm going to
state that a bigger knife would serve your needs very well. It can fill
the dual roles of axe and smaller knife very admirably.
I take my BK9 into the bush without hesitation.

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Just to clarify a bit here, the 1095 steel that Ka-Bar uses is a good steel,
and the Ka-Bar heat treat is good, but the 0176-C steel that was used
in the Camilus knives is no slouch either. My BK9 is the Camilus 0176-C
and I have beaten on it lots. It has done more than it's fair share of
what you would call "camp chores", and has held up very very well.

Basically, the knife is a winner, no matter which steel you use, because
Ethan has taken the time to make the knife "right".

Oh, and weighing in on which kind of knife you should get, I'm going to
state that a bigger knife would serve your needs very well. It can fill
the dual roles of axe and smaller knife very admirably.
I take my BK9 into the bush without hesitation.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I wasn't knocking the Becker's*produced by Camilus, I was merely stating that the knives produced by Ka-Bar are outstanding, too. I have read (correct me if I'm wrong) that the knives produced by Ka-Bar are a little tougher, while the knives produced by Camilus*may hold an edge a little better: they're both good, but Camilus is no longer in business, while Ka-Bar is. The OP can order a brand new Ka-Bar BK knife today and have no fear of getting something inferior.

For me -- and this is subjective -- the BK-2 is a much better all around knife than the BK-9. The BK-9 is simple too large (for me) if I could only carry one knife. The BK-2 just seems to be the perfect "only" knife for me.

Fortunately, we're not limited to just one knife. I would like to have the BK-11 for smaller tasks, the BK-2 for a really tough general purpose knife, and the BK-9 as a big chopper. That combo would work for me, but everyone has different requirements. As Mark Twain once said, "It's the difference that makes a horse race."

I think the BK2 and RC4 are 2 worlds apart. Get them both (I have both and they both serve their purposes great.)

Back