Camp knife

Anyone know where to find a Ka-Bar camp knife? The mini Kukri looking one with the regular handle?

Oh yea and when did they stop production on these? If I can't find one it's ok because I'm Gunna get the combat Kukri when it comes out anyway! :D

Yeah, production on them stopped a few years ago. If you are looking now, you are looking in the secondary market.

I had one, and it was a real good knife. That hollow grind made all the difference in the world when it came to slicing and biting deep.

Its basically a scaled down version of the Cutlass Machete, which is one of my favorite "big choppa's".

Good luck, and let us know what you find. I would suggest hitting up the exchange, and see what comes ups.

Moose

I've got one of these on my short list. I've seen em on the exchange and I know some BF members have em.

When the time comes, I'm going to post a request in Wanted to Buy, contact anyone that I can find on BF that has one to see if they want to sell, hit ebay, and maybe a few other outdoor enthusiast forums. You can do the same to get yours.

Then when I get mine, off comes the handle, on goes the grinder, and out comes the epoxy, cause I'm putting a Toooj handle on 'er.

I've got one of these on my short list. I've seen em on the exchange and I know some BF members have em.

When the time comes, I'm going to post a request in Wanted to Buy, contact anyone that I can find on BF that has one to see if they want to sell, hit ebay, and maybe a few other outdoor enthusiast forums. You can do the same to get yours.

Then when I get mine, off comes the handle, on goes the grinder, and out comes the epoxy, cause I'm putting a Toooj handle on 'er.

Oh, damn. I can't wait to see that.

Keep us posted on that one.

Moose

The info I have read says it's 1085 steel, is this correct and if so how does the steel perform?

I've bought and used multiple KA-BAR knives made out of their 1085 and plan on buying more. I'm ultra satisfied with my Cutlass Machete; it's one of my top three favorite knives. Unsure what exactly the Camp Knife is made out of, seems like an easy Google to confirm, but multiple things factor in over and above the steel type. I'd actually be interested in knowing why KA-BAR discontinued this knife.

After a bit of Googling, I guess it is 1085. I figured it was US-made, so that'd be the 1095CV, but Kabar's 1085 is excellent stuff.

If its made in Olean, its gonna be 1095CV, overseas, 1085. I could be wrong, but I haven't seena US made Kabar not made from 1095CV. Or at least in the last few years.

I know they work with lots of different metals, but the big 3 that I keep coming up with are 440A stainelss, D2 tool steel, and 1095CV.

Maybe Toooj will sort me out if I'm wrong.

Nothing wrong with 1085, I see it as more of an impact steel since it has less carbon in it, and I know on most of the 1085 that Kabar does, the lower the Rc on it, to make it some really tough stuff.

I love my cutlass, I mean, really love it. It will beat the hell outta the BK9 in chopping, and I'm a fan of Toooj's handles for hard, heavy work. With the Kraton, palm swells, and hook on the end, I can swing my Cutlass long after my arms are jelly, and my grip is weak, just throw a lanyard on and keep letting the blade fall.

I'm still trying to strip the crap off my Cutlass, I tried again this weekend, and my secret weapon (jasco) is suckin' eggs. Need to get some klean strip or somthing, and just let that baby soak.

Moose

I don't know what the heck it is with this knife but since I've owned it my BK-9 and Esee JUnglass have been collecting dust. By performance and ergonomics alone , this is the best chopper I've ever used in the boreal forests up here.

WolfLakeAug2011047.jpg

Back