camp stove

I went out last weekend for a couple of nights with the family, and in addition to the little pocket rocket stove I usually use, I brought a new one I made out of some duct steel. Someone (Howard, maybe?) was talking about his Sierra stove, and investigating that led me to a through hiker's site that had a printable template for a collapsible stove on it. you can see the three paper pieces on the lower left in the pic below, I messed around with WOrd until I got the size right, printed and snipped, and then traced the stencils onto a sheet of (I think) 20 gauge steel I picked up at Lowes of ~$5. The four pieces I cut out with tin snips and a dremmel are next to the three paper stencils, the tube is a 2' length of 1/4" copper I used to feed the stove air, the tent stakes held it together, adn the bottom of my old BDU pants make a nice little carry bag (cheap, but effective: cut 'em off below the knee, turn 'em inside out and stich along the cut, turn back out and you have a nice sturdy drawstring bag):
stove_down_ws.jpg

Set up, it looks like this:
stove_up_ws.jpg

My son had a good time feeding the stove twigs and air, and it set a full enamel percolator (~1 liter) to a rolling boil in a little less than 10 minutes. No fuel to buy, packs flat, and I actually cut 2" off the end of the tube and fitted some clear flexible tubing to it so I could get the 'bellows' into the bag once we got back. The long tube is easier to handle, but a pain to pack.

if anyone is interested, here's the site where I got the template:
wood stove template

I like this. A good way to pack less, have a campfire, and be easy on the land. Good stuff, and thanks!

Nam

Looks an awful lot like the "Tommy Cooker" I used to carry in a pocket of my ruck along with some fuel tabs. Tactical situation permitting, a hot cup of coffee is truly a blessed thing.

Good looking stove, and nice tip on recycling BDU pants, I was wondering what to do with the durn things now that I'm retired.:D

Sarge

Sarge...depending on the size (need large long), I need a couple pair. Let me know if we have a chance to trade anything!

Thanks for the stove link...

I love mine. After you get the hang of feeding it it's great. I think the trick is get a handful of really fine twigs and then work up to stuff about 2" long and as big around as your thumb. You can really simmer stuff with it plus no cartridges to replace or oil to burn. There's batteries of course but rechargable ones would take care of that.:thumbup:

The non blower powered stove is very cool too. I bit slower but if you aren't in a hurry very cool.:)

is there a model that will also run on any type of petroleum based fuel, whatever is around, e.g. kerosene, gasoline, etc.?

I like the idea of low impact . I am not quite there yet . I consider myself more of a weekend pleasure camper than someone skilled in the woods . I think I have a bit more of the pioneer in my heart than a modern approach to maintaining over burdened woods . Low impact to me includes not having so large a populace that the impact made upon the forest is long lasting or as evident just by the lack of numbers doing it .
I am kind of the opposite of the four wheeler crowd . Don,t get me wrong I have family members with four wheelers and I would even consider owning one myself . Mine would be mostly for work and not for roaming through the countryside . Each to their own .
I like your stove . I would have to be a lot more practiced to be able to use it effectively . Maybe I will try to make a slightly larger version for myself .
I am at the stage where i begin to tire of store bought tents . I am trying to gather the materials together to make a tipi as well as learning how to make more primitive shelters . A tipi is actually quite a wonder and while not low impact instills a respect for nature in its own way . Its a slow road for me as I don,t have land of my own . It will still be a few years before I do have access to land where a camp wuld be secure from the local party people .

Looks an awful lot like the "Tommy Cooker" I used to carry in a pocket of my ruck along with some fuel tabs.

A hexamine tab is a great thing on a cold day. Evidently, hexamine kills bacteria and can be used to treat urinary tract infections. Wish I'd known. :rolleyes:

Also, putzed around and had no hexamine left when I entered service, but used trioxane, which works pretty well. Linked site above mentions this is toxic, don't eat.

Bleach helps get the smoke stains off canteen cups. :thumbup:

John

Had some geniuses on a field problem decided they were going to use some trioxane tabs to "warm up" the inside of their MobiFlex tent. I can laugh about it now, but I wasn't laughing then, and you can bet they weren't laughing either.:grumpy:

Didn't know that stuff about hexamine, thanks for the cranium's up. :thumbup:

Sarge

I am more interested in a stove for urban scenarios that will run on any kind of fuel that I have around. But not specifically wood. I know they're out there.

cognitivefun said:
I am more interested in a stove for urban scenarios that will run on any kind of fuel that I have around. But not specifically wood. I know they're out there.

Here's one that runs off of regular Coleman fuel, kerosene, or, more pertinent to your stated requirement, unleaded gasoline. Coleman makes it, and it's called a multi-fuel stove
550B725_200.jpg

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=550B725&categoryid=2020

I still like the idea of burning twigs in a coffe can with some holes punched in it.;)

Sarge

Back