Camping with firearms

I live in NH. plenty of guns. any encounter in the woods would involved making sure I'm seen, then approach in a friendly manner to see if they have had any luck (just assuming they are hunting).

I'm in CO, I always carry - concealed. I don't worry about those that are carrying at all....I worry about the nutjobs that stop me on the trail to warn of some guy with a knife on his belt they saw up ahead. There is no shortage of folk here who are afraid of anything they don't see on Main Street. Sadly.

Just have a question, I guess geared more toward Americans than anyone else I suppose. Here in Canada our fire arm's law's are wonky and self serving to say the least. But I've seen many pictures of (typically American) guys going on a day hike or even an over nighter, and you have a rifle and/or a pistol with you.
Now I realize that you're carrying a firearm due to the threat from local wild life. But how do you react, or how have you reacted when you're deep in the brush, where there really isn't anyone around, and notice someone or even a couple people approaching you, rifles slung, maybe even tracking you for all you know. Would you shoulder your rifle and approach? Undo the holster snap on your pistol? Holler at them while they're still a good distance away? Or do you leave your rifle where it is and welcome them with open arms, even invite them to join you for coffee?

Here in Canada you don't typically see anyone hiking or camping with a firearm, outside of hunting season. If I noticed someone approaching with a slung rifle??....My guard would be way up, at least until I could ascertain his intentions.
What do you guys do, or what, (if anything) have you done in the past? Or have I just been watching too many westerns?

I'm sorry but the above ^^^ post is stupid, and borders on
TROLL. Yes..... here in the US we CAN carry fire arms. With the correct permit we can carry concealed. Some parks will not permit either. My 11 YO Daughter has fired a Ruger 10/22..... with my help. It's not about what we might do, how we might see, or any other Candadian A$$ hat conspiracy..... we carry because it's what is AFFORDED to us. We live in a environment that "affords" us the right to do what we want........ :mad:

This right here is YOUR problem......

Here in Canada you don't typically see anyone hiking or camping with a firearm, outside of hunting season. If I noticed someone approaching with a slung rifle??....My guard would be way up, at least until I could ascertain his intentions.

I would ASK the person in question...... "hey... are you hunting..... how did you do..... what are you carrying....... how does it do against a .308......... not "ASSUME" they were there to kill me..... The world would be much better without people like YOU!!!!!!!! Sorry...... but it's true.......

Last edited:
Cascade

Clearly you've read my post entirely wrong. I'm not criticizing Americas gun laws, in fact I'm probably one of the most Right to bear arms Canadians there is, and I utterly despise the way we have been striped of that right.
I also had many firearms when I was younger and hunted with my father from the age of 12. When the Weapons restriction laws came down in Canada, I sold my arms. Simply because I no longer trust this government enough to want to let them know I had weapons.
Have a look at some of my posts on other threads.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9282272#post9282272
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9296131#post9296131

My question simply was. what would you do when you're deep in the bush (2 days hike for example) way off the trail, and suddenly someone is approaching with rifle slung. Would you perceive them as a potential threat or a welcome visitor?....that's all.
I think the troll hat was squarely on your head the hole time buddy.

If I see someone with a holstered pistol or a rifle slung across their back, I don't think much of it. I live in a semi-free state that still allows open carry, so seeing guns openly displayed isn't a big deal. I carry everywhere (mostly concealed), so I think that people who venture out unarmed are a bit odd.

If they had the firearms in hand, I would assume they were attempting to hunt or target shooting. I'd identify myself as not to be mistaken for whatever they were hunting.

I don't think that most criminals would venture out into the wild in an attempt to victimize citizens who are most likely also carrying firearms.

I don't really worry about it. Most people in my neck of the woods who carry when hiking do so concealed, which I think is a good idea in areas where there are lots of other hikers or campers. Pretty rare to come accross someone who's up in the hills, armed, picking fights. At least around here. Most are out to enjoy themselves and have some good-natured fun. I guess if I saw someone approaching and they drew or shouldered a gun I'd make like a tree and get the hell outa there. :eek: On the other hand If I saw someone walking up the path with a slung rifle or a handgun in a holster, well that's certainly within their rights and I'd treat em same as anybody else.

after my bro reported me to the cops a few times as being mr big drug and guns dealer , and getting pulled up , one cop at front yelling turn the car off , cop at back yelling keep your hands out the window , cop at the side seeing my predicament and just laughing at his mates not bothering to try working together just yelling louder and geting twitchier with their guns ... it wasnt a great traffic stop to say the least ...

I can undersand their problem tho , they have to do the threaten to kill thing becaue they had a report I was armed and high ... so they got to be that careful that allready the situation as soon as I pull the car up is escalated to life n death right here right now do it or die ...its what they are paid for and trained to do

people who carry with the express purpose of using on other people , I give a little more space to than most nowdays , but that is mostly just cops and military .

the average bloke who goes to shoot a roo or something , I dont mind at all

Agreed. If someone has bad intentions they probably won't just come strolling up.

I'm in Idaho. Running into people in the woods packing firearms is the norm. That being said - I could really do without the idiots that seem to have no manners about it. If you are packing concealed, just keep it that way. However, if you are actively using your firearm and you come in contact with others - stop and make it obvious that you are respecting their safety. Especially with lawmen. Any time I run into a fish and game officer or police officer in the woods, I empty my gun (not the Glock on my hip, that's never empty :)) and lock back the slide or bolt (whatever the case may be). It just really sucks to run across someone that can't even keep their muzzle pointed in a safe direction. It means you have to clear the area.

Respecting the rights of others is essential to maintaining your own rights.

Well said Brother:thumbup:!!!I was going to say here in Alaska the norm is to be armed unless your a sandal and shorts wearing tree hugger around Anchorage trail system. I have walked those same trailed and shacking my head laughing at the same time at the weiners and there bells to keep the bear away. MOST everywhere I go up here everyone stops shoots the breeze discuss guns and loads and move on. That's just everyday life. Yes you watch yourself but hey that's life, ain't it???

Georgia does have a year-round season for beaver and wild hog. I don't mind seeing other people out with a rifle or shotgun, but as mentioned, I do get concerned with how they handle it. The good news is that armed people are usually the most polite people. We are foturnate enough to carry concealed (my preference) when hiking or backpacking in most areas; however, we still have a few with nanny fears about knives or guns...those are the idiots I fear the most.

Other than over-crowded parks, most of the more remote trails and backpacking areas often have the most polite and welcoming people...firearm or no firearm. I always feel more comfortable meeting somebody on the backtrail or backcountry instead of the back alley:D

ROCK6

here in Florida you can only openly carry a firearm while hunting, fishing, or camping. i have not seen to many people do so until lately because they are trying to change the law to openly carry in public.

In Colorado it varies. It's not uncommon to see someone on the trail with a side arm, but around the bigger cities the sheeple get a bit nervous at the sight of a gun. If I am going out alone or into the deeper woods I will carry my Glock 22. As someone said criminals are not really out in the woods. I have never had an issue.

Where I live people are rarely openly armed, except during hunting season. Open carry is, for the most part, legal here in Michigan. How I react to anyone in the woods, or anywhere else for that matter, has a lot to do with how they present themselves. For the most part, people being openly armed doesn't automatically make me suspicious. I've never run into a situation where I felt there was a problem.

SP

Well, when I meet someone from Candada, I'll be sure to pass along your "wisdom.":rolleyes:

Thanx for pointing that out Stabman:thumbup:
I noticed it when I first read his post, but I figured he'd made enough of an ass of himself with the "Conspiracy theory" that I didn't need to pick on his spelling errors.

Cascade

Clearly you've read my post entirely wrong. I'm not criticizing Americas gun laws, in fact I'm probably one of the most Right to bear arms Canadians there is, and I utterly despise the way we have been striped of that right.
I also had many firearms when I was younger and hunted with my father from the age of 12. When the Weapons restriction laws came down in Canada, I sold my arms. Simply because I no longer trust this government enough to want to let them know I had weapons.
Have a look at some of my posts on other threads.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9282272#post9282272
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9296131#post9296131

My question simply was. what would you do when you're deep in the bush (2 days hike for example) way off the trail, and suddenly someone is approaching with rifle slung. Would you perceive them as a potential threat or a welcome visitor?....that's all.
I think the troll hat was squarely on your head the hole time buddy.

If I misread your post I apologize. I shouldn't have taken that shot at you regarding where your from. CANADA. I can spell, I prommize. ;)

Based on your statement here:

I have a much different attitude. In fact I would find it strange if I met someone well into the bush that was NOT armed. At the very least with bear mace. My guard would not be "way up". I wouldn't view that person any different than someone without a firearm. Again, I apologize for the Canadian shot, it was uncalled for. I'm man enough to admit when I cross the line. :foot:

Last edited:
I'm in CO, I always carry - concealed. I don't worry about those that are carrying at all....I worry about the nutjobs that stop me on the trail to warn of some guy with a knife on his belt they saw up ahead. There is no shortage of folk here who are afraid of anything they don't see on Main Street. Sadly.

I never worry either. Here in Central Utah you see people with guns all the time and I never worry about it. A friend and I camped just inside the Lone Peak Wilderness area by Alpine Utah. We were something like 100 feet inside the wilderness area and about that far off the trail for the night. The next day we hiked up the trail and passed a few different groups of people, some of which had Pistols and some had pistols and Rifles. Some were hunting and some were not. Didn't bother us in the least. If my friend and I wern't in a rush to get home to church we would have chatted with the guys with guns. Also some of the guys had their kids with them. A fun day with packs, guns and kids.

But I have also had problems with people of Provo and Rock Canyons. Some people gave us dirty looks and some people avoided us. Rock canyon seems to attract a lot of weirdos. Central Utah Proper isn't so bad. Glad I moved back when I did.

At the second anual Spring City camp out this Spring I'll have at least 1 pistol and Rifle with me. Last year I brought my Single Six and Henry Lever gun. Everyone had a blast target shooting in a Mountain Meadow before Lunch. This year I plan to do it again and hope to have more range time. My Single Six loaded with .22 WRM or my .357 Mag Blackhawk makes a great woods companion.

BTW This is my 5,000 post. :D

Cascade

Now that you've laid it out like that I see the misunderstanding. Let me explain. I would be nervous of someone caring a rifle in the bush outside of hunting season because it's illegal.
In order to carry a firearm in the bush you have to have your hunting permit and your game tags on you. Even if you have them but don't have them on your person you could be in trouble if asked by authorities to produce your papers.(Heil, mein Führer)
Or by special permission, but that's next to imposable to get. You might be able to avoid a conviction if you could prove "eminent danger" from local wild life. That's also imposable to prove, unless you're able serve subpoenas to bears and wild dogs. ( they prolly wouldn't show in court anyway)
So being armed in the bush outside of hunting season is in most cases breaking the law, and I would be leery of that guys intentions, rightfully so, do you agree?

Cascade

Now that you've laid it out like that I see the misunderstanding. Let me explain. I would be nervous of someone caring a rifle in the bush outside of hunting season because it's illegal.
In order to carry a firearm in the bush you have to have your hunting permit and your game tags on you. Even if you have them but don't have them on your person you could be in trouble if asked by authorities to produce your papers.(Heil, mein Führer)
Or by special permission, but that's next to imposable to get. You might be able to avoid a conviction if you could prove "eminent danger" from local wild life. That's also imposable to prove, unless you're able serve subpoenas to bears and wild dogs. ( they prolly wouldn't show in court anyway)
So being armed in the bush outside of hunting season is in most cases breaking the law, and I would be leery of that guys intentions, rightfully so, do you agree?

Yes..... I do. If it were illegal to carry firearms here in Wa State outside of hunting season I would be a bit leery. More than likely my first though would be poacher however.

I was raised in a family/environment where firearms are used (legally of course) for hunting as well as sport shooting. They are respected not just for the ability to bring down game, but as a sport. In that respect it's very common for everyone at camp to bring a firearm within my family or circle of friends. We don't just use our firearms for hunting, we use them as a entertainment as well. The majority of my pistols, and rifles are used for that purpose over hunting, and Lord forbid ever in self defense.

In my part of NV it seems relatively common to see armed individuals in the backcountry. With the reasonable process for a concealed weapon permit (class, written & practical test, FBI background check), you can assume many others are carrying firearms but you don't actually see their guns. I carry a concealed handgun, unless actively hunting with a rifle or shotgun.

When I encounter other armed individuals, I closely evaluate their appearance and behavior. If I see something that concerns me, I carefully depart while staying alert. [Haven't had that happen in many years and it was in CA.] I should note that I do pretty much the same thing with anyone I meet when I'm alone in the bush, regardless of whether I spot a firearm.

DancesWithKnives

When I encounter other armed individuals, I closely evaluate their appearance and behavior. If I see something that concerns me, I carefully depart while staying alert. [Haven't had that happen in many years and it was in CA.] I should note that I do pretty much the same thing with anyone I meet when I'm alone in the bush, regardless of whether I spot a firearm.

DancesWithKnives

Sounds like a good plan to me. :)

Back