1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Can anyone give me info on these 2 Remington knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by robertj298, Dec 7, 2020.

1. robertj298

robertj298

Mar 7, 2014
    I bought these new back in the 80s or early 90s. They were fairly cheap and I think they were made by Camillus. They are very nice knives with the smoothest medium pull of most of my other knives that don't have a half stop including a GEC Calf Roper. The Calf Roper and others kind of drag where there would normally be a half stop. The 2 Remington's are smooth all the way through the pull. I'm wondering if anyone knows what steel was used in the blades?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. longbow1968

longbow1968

Sep 9, 2020
    Great knives, I have the two you have plus four or five others. They were indeed made by Camillus under contract for Remington. Steel is probably some variety of 440A, but completely serviceable. They take a wicked edge. I really, really miss Camillus. Here is the stockman version:
    [​IMG]

3. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    They are great knives! I have an R-4, R-2 and a couple of R-8’s. The R-2 is absolutely huge and almost too big for what I care for in my pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. longbow1968

longbow1968

Sep 9, 2020
    Here is the 2-blade hunter. When I say I really miss Camillus, I mean they paid attention to detail. The greatest sin of a lot of modern traditional knives from parts unknown is that they are too thick at the edge to get really sharp no matter what steel they use. Not so with these; thin and slicey:
    [​IMG]

JohnDF, scrteened porch and 315 like this.
  5. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I think my 1990's Remington/Camillus canoe has 440A.

WIN_20200726_143717.JPG

6. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Camillus used 440A for its stainless pocket knife blades until at least the late 90's.

I have been told that Schrade switched it's "Schrade +" from 440A to 420HC in the late 90's.
    I don't think Camillus made the same change, but if they did, it would have been made in a similar time frame.
    @Phil Gibbs would know for sure.

7. longbow1968

longbow1968

Sep 9, 2020
    I dug this one out to carry today. It is dated 1996, but my wife bought it for me new in box from a local stocking dealer in about 2008. I wanted to mention this, because these Camillus/Remington knives are recent enough to still be possible to find as new old stock if you know where to look:
    [​IMG]

JohnDF and afishhunter like this.
  8. buckthorn

buckthorn

Mar 20, 2006
    Phil Gibbs has previously commented on this somewhere in BF. I believe he said Camillus did switch to 420 but best to check for Phil's comment.