Can anyone ID this thing?

I picked this up this weekend in a box of other kitchen items. Anyone know about the square serrations? Just can make out "UNIVERSAL" in a banner on the blade. Super tapered blade, lots of flex.
Thanks!IMG_5838.JPGIMG_5840.JPGIMG_5842.JPGIMG_5843.JPG

Scaling off fish. It’s a sideways motion..
Lawrence, Ive scaled and cleaned a bunch of fish, and I think this type of serrations (which by the way are VERY sharp), added to the blade flex, would be a poor fish processor.

Ohen, that was my initial guess too, and it may well be. I've always seen the curved serrations for bread....

I don't think it's for fish either. Scalers can't really be flexible to be good. Maybe some pastry related knife? The "serrated" edge could be used to draw a pattern with creams. chocolates. etc.

First off it looks like a home mod job.
Second I think it looks very much like ice saws that I have seen.
Think : make the block of ice that was delivered in the old times fit in the "ice box".
I'm off to find a link to a photo of an ice saw.

Last edited:
Nope; no luck.
Must be a home made bread knife.
Besides the ice knife / saw that I remember had much wider and deeper slots.

OK.....but the blade is soooo thin..ice is pretty tough. Homeade? pretty accurate and consistant serrations. I'm thinking factory something. The grind on the serrations is very well done..if not meat, ice, bread, cheese, what would this knife be used for?

Pastry......interesting. Lots of quality and craftsmanship in this knife foe a pastry dedicated use?

Yes, it is a Bates National Rule. As for the knife it is probably not home made because in the last photo there seems to be a brand mark. I could see it being used to saw through bones. It could also be a bread knife which is more likely.

I started looking at icing spreading tools.
Nope.
Then I thought frozen food knife and found this . . . it's sort of similar
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/2d/8c/052d8c168c1d6916cf5bf2f536281f33.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere. Thats the closest I've seen to the serration pattern. Frozen food? Thats plausable but what about the super thin blade towards the tip?
Also thought about slicing processed meat (sausages, etc).

Brooks is right on top of things...picked right up on the ruler!

Yes, it is a Bates National Rule. As for the knife it is probably not home made because in the last photo there seems to be a brand mark. I could see it being used to saw through bones. It could also be a bread knife which is more likely.

It has zero kerf...wouldn't that bind up on bone, wood, that sort of material?

Pastry......interesting. Lots of quality and craftsmanship in this knife foe a pastry dedicated use?

Maybe yes, maybe no. Unfortunately all the photos show just one side of the knife. If the reverse side showed that the tang was not centered in the handle then it is possible that it may be made to function like a spatula. If so, it would support the guess of a Patissiere's knife. However without seeing the other side can't really tell.

Thanks. Well that throws the Pastry Knife guess out the window. lol
It looks more solidly built than I first thought. Those serrations are unique but serious. As if made to cut ice. Or 7 day old baguettes.

Yup, this is something of a "head scratcher". Unique, at best, and thanks for the look-see!

Back