Can CPM 3V steel be use for swords with 28'' to 32'' blade lengths?

And it is prone to chipping at those lengths?

CPM 1V steel is even tougher but with less carbon and chromium.

Last edited:
And it is prone to chipping at those lengths?

CPM 1V steel is even tougher but with less carbon and chromium.

Absolutely, and depending upon the heat treat, has no issues with chipping.

Dan Keffeler has been making awesome 3V swords for years. I have tested one under JSA standard cutting media protocols and found it the BEST sword I had ever used out of probably 30+ over the course of 16 years.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Ricky Chen HSTS had a model called rk2. And it is on black market now lol. I have been looking for one for ages. It used to sell for $575 and just like other hsts blades no complaints from anyone. Rather than that all cpm3v swords are priced over 2k

Ricky Chen HSTS had a model called rk2. And it is on black market now lol. I have been looking for one for ages. It used to sell for $575 and just like other hsts blades no complaints from anyone. Rather than that all cpm3v swords are priced over 2k

Not knowing who "Ricky Chen" is I HIGHLY doubt the authenticity of the material...certain steels are commonly available from multiple suppliers, say L6..5160, even W2..
but 3V is pretty much single source, and it's expensive. Heat treat is not entirely simple....if it was easy it WOULD be common.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

It's also very hard to get (impossible?) in lengths > 36", which makes for some challenges doing longer blades, especially for stock removal types like myself. I've been very happy with 3V, however. It's a great sword steel.

Not knowing who "Ricky Chen" is I HIGHLY doubt the authenticity of the material...certain steels are commonly available from multiple suppliers, say L6..5160, even W2..
but 3V is pretty much single source, and it's expensive. Heat treat is not entirely simple....if it was easy it WOULD be common.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I am surprised you don`t know HSTS brand and Ricky Chen, he is quite famous in SBG,UBC and SWI forums. He is one of the very few people that high quality katana can be acquired in mid 3 digit numbers. And yes his cpm3v katanas are highly praised just like his 9260 and 1095 beaters. I am not a swordsman or a backyard cutter just a collector but i read and search a lot. I just pass what i read from dozens of reviews. Just search ``hsts katana review`` on google :)

I am surprised you don`t know HSTS brand and Ricky Chen, he is quite famous in SBG,UBC and SWI forums. He is one of the very few people that high quality katana can be acquired in mid 3 digit numbers. And yes his cpm3v katanas are highly praised just like his 9260 and 1095 beaters. I am not a swordsman or a backyard cutter just a collector but i read and search a lot. I just pass what i read from dozens of reviews. Just search ``hsts katana review`` on google :)

He contacted me and a friend back in 2014....you jogged my memory-

"We do have some custom trial RK2 ko katanas available,these are made of cpm3v steel,very durable yet high performance. Imported genuine Japanese silk ito and iron higo style fuchi,kashira and matching iron kojiri. The tsuba is mokkogata also made of iron. Habaki been carved rain pattern,hand shaped tsuka core with professional tsukamaki utilizing hishigami. Blade is 24" long with very pronounced distall taper ,deep bohi,with precision shaped termination. All comes with "real" geometric yokote. Please view the pictures and let me know what you think,these are $535 shipped"

Maybe I should have taken him up on it, but frankly, both my friend and I have too many swords as it is(I have two L6, one custom Bailey Bradshaw, and the Mantis, have for about 5 years) and if there were any issues, shipping back to China was/is not an option.....that is one of the great advantages of doing business with CAS Iberia imo....shipping within CONUS.

I am a swordsman, and not a collector, at this point, I don't need any new swords, currently have 4 credible cutting katana(used two of them today) that have and will be tested to greater degrees on each outing. The tsuka shape was unappealing on the example referenced.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

He contacted me and a friend back in 2014....you jogged my memory-

"We do have some custom trial RK2 ko katanas available,these are made of cpm3v steel,very durable yet high performance. Imported genuine Japanese silk ito and iron higo style fuchi,kashira and matching iron kojiri. The tsuba is mokkogata also made of iron. Habaki been carved rain pattern,hand shaped tsuka core with professional tsukamaki utilizing hishigami. Blade is 24" long with very pronounced distall taper ,deep bohi,with precision shaped termination. All comes with "real" geometric yokote. Please view the pictures and let me know what you think,these are $535 shipped"

Maybe I should have taken him up on it, but frankly, both my friend and I have too many swords as it is(I have two L6, one custom Bailey Bradshaw, and the Mantis, have for about 5 years) and if there were any issues, shipping back to China was/is not an option.....that is one of the great advantages of doing business with CAS Iberia imo....shipping within CONUS.

I am a swordsman, and not a collector, at this point, I don't need any new swords, currently have 4 credible cutting katana(used two of them today) that have and will be tested to greater degrees on each outing. The tsuka shape was unappealing on the example referenced.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I regret i didn`t buy one of his rk2 when they were available. Big regret! Especially after seeing how his 9260 is, in a comparison to other $300-500 range.
He is located in USA by the way not China. I don`t think anyone ever shipped a katana back to him for an issue. Never heard of that.

Cheers.

I regret i didn`t buy one of his rk2 when they were available. Big regret! Especially after seeing how his 9260 is, in a comparison to other $300-500 range.
He is located in USA by the way not China. I don`t think anyone ever shipped a katana back to him for an issue. Never heard of that.Cheers.

That would be the first time in the history of humanity, you know that right?

There are an incredible amount of compromises for swords that retail in the sub-$1,000 range, even today and even from the most reputable of companies. Losing the hamon is usually one of them, settling for panel same' wraps on the tsuka, and cotton tsuka ito. We won't even talk about the scabbards.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I have got the following on the CPM 1V steel:

''CPM-1V is weak and a poor choice for blades. In truth, even the Hardness number can be misleading since it's measured on sections thicker than a edge, so real edge hardness may be very different from the hardness measured with a Rockwell tester. CPM-1V edges distort and roll very easily due to plastic deformation (that hardness which isn't hard issue). Long thin sections like swords bend too easily. In practical terms, "wear resistance" is a composite of all the things that enable a blade to continue cutting, or not. If an edge rolls, chips or is reduced by adhesive or abrasive wear really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things; it no longer cuts. 1V won't chip, it rolls badly, and it is substantially more susceptible to abrasive and adhesive wear than CPM-3V. I sent some of what I had to Rob Simonich who also made hard use knives at the time and his results were pretty much the same as mine. His description of those results were somewhat more colorful than I've used here.''

- Jerry Hossom on the BritishBlades forum

Back