Can I bring folding knife to New Zealand?

I'm heading to New Zealand next week for a trip and I want to bring some full size folder and properly some fixed along with me.

Not sure about the knife laws there and would appreciate some help. Thanks

I'm heading to New Zealand next week for a trip and I want to bring some full size folder and properly some fixed along with me.

Not sure about the knife laws there and would appreciate some help. Thanks

Hi shqxk, knife laws here, in terms of carrying, are basically 'you can carry a knife (folder or fixed) if you have a reasonable reason to do so'.
Reasonable reason is of course not up to your interpretation. Nor is it defined. It's up to 'the authorities' to make that up as they go along. A knife is technically and legally classified as a restricted weapon. Utterly stupid, but there it is.

There is no blade length restriction on folding knives here. I always carry a folder, always, including 4" like a Military or Crooked River. I never have any problems because I don't get into situations where some LEO can make an issue of it. Carrying a pocket knife is still a generally accepted thing socially here, though people are used to seeing things like a SAK or Mercator.
Bear in mind, I live in small town rural NZ.

Automatic or double edged are illegal here. Thou shalt not have a blade that is 'designed primarily for stabbing, as opposed to cutting'.

My opinion, and it is only that, you should have no problem with a folding knife in your luggage coming into NZ, provided it's a fairly normal single edge manual folder.
As for carrying it, again I see it as no problem as long as your sensible and discreet about it.

Hope you enjoy your trip here :)

Edit: I'll add that flippers and AO are legal and available here, but trying to explain to a Customs agent or LEO that it's not an 'illegal flick knife' probably isn't going to work for you.
I once spent 6 months arguing with NZ Customs about a ZT0452 that they said was a 'flick knife'. I eventually got it, but it took some real hoop jumping.

Last edited:
T
Hi shqxk, knife laws here, in terms of carrying, are basically 'you can carry a knife (folder or fixed) if you have a reasonable reason to do so'.
Reasonable reason is of course not up to your interpretation. Nor is it defined. It's up to 'the authorities' to make that up as they go along. A knife is technically and legally classified as a restricted weapon. Utterly stupid, but there it is.

There is no blade length restriction on folding knives here. I always carry a folder, always, including 4" like a Military or Crooked River. I never have any problems because I don't get into situations where some LEO can make an issue of it. Carrying a pocket knife is still a generally accepted thing socially here, though people are used to seeing things like a SAK or Mercator.

Automatic or double edged are illegal here. Thou shalt not have a blade that is 'designed primarily for stabbing, as opposed to cutting'.

My opinion, and it is only that, you should have no problem with a folding knife in your luggage coming into NZ, provided it's a fairly normal single edge manual folder.
As for carrying it, again I see it as no problem as long as your sensible and discreet about it.

Edit: I'll add that flippers and AO are legal and available here, but trying to explain to a Customs agent or LEO that it's not an 'illegal flick knife' probably isn't going to work for you.
I once spent 6 months arguing with NZ Customs about a ZT0452 that they said was a 'flick knife'. I eventually got it, but it took some real hoop jumping.
hanks

Thanks you very much sir!

Back