Can I caustic blue INFI?

I usually wait for my wife to take one of her epic shopping sprees and I use the oven to pre-heat gun parts- to this day she's never noticed a thing HAHA!
Until the day when she says, honey, do you think this beef roast tastes like pork? :)

Until the day when she says, honey, do you think this beef roast tastes like pork? :)
I'll let you know. I'm going to be cooking some SR101 in a couple weeks, still working on the steel atm~ I found a nice process a guy outlined once where the final step is to cover the metal in Vaseline and cook in the oven, I think it was 200? for a couple hours and then do a final buffing. I did my Rem 1100 this way about 4 years ago and it came out looking like new, still does.

I'll let you know. I'm going to be cooking some SR101 in a couple weeks, still working on the steel atm~ I found a nice process a guy outlined once where the final step is to cover the metal in Vaseline and cook in the oven, I think it was 200? for a couple hours and then do a final buffing. I did my Rem 1100 this way about 4 years ago and it came out looking like new, still does.
Thanks brother. I've got one of the Infiweilers and I'd love to etch the name and give her a satin finish but I've never done it before and I'm afraid of screwing her up.

Thanks brother. I've got one of the Infiweilers and I'd love to etch the name and give her a satin finish but I've never done it before and I'm afraid of screwing her up.
That's a piece of cake I have to believe compared to doing my Burp. I'm looking forward to doing a flat blade in Infi. Doing my BG Batac currently, all flats, no fuller, easy piece. I've seen a couple etching results that gave me the courage to do it the next time.

Okay so a month later to the day and I remembered what I was going to do. I didn't get to the INFI (yet). But here is what I believe is a SYKCO 511 that I had received in a grab bag last year. I am not a huge fan of the hammered green finish, and unfortunately had to remove the Res-C from it before it went in the tank. But here is how it turned out. I like it.

View attachment 814035 View attachment 814036
So it's a matte blue which generally means black. It was sanded to get out the mild machine marks and I tried to keep the saber grind visible. Then laziness got the best of me and it got blasted with playground sand. That was then rubbed down with 0000 steel wool under running water and caustic blued. It's a lot smoother than it looks but ironically looks a lot like a black offering from Busse.

Thinking of a stacked leather handle with black steel for the tube fastener will look sweet. The INFI will come, I promise. But I want that to me a 320 grit satin and we shall see when I get around to it. Probably another month. ;) Thanks to everyone that shared info and pics! I really enjoyed reading and viewing the thread. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!
We’re you ever able to make that stacked leather handle?

No it ended up getting ironwood scales. Still have it.
I honestly think that you can contact and send the knife to Busse, and they will put on a new res-c handle for you.
I think they will gladly do that even though the handle was intentionally removed, I mean, Busse don’t ask themslved why provide the service, they’d think why not. At the very worst, you can pay for a new handle, sure they have a lot of Res-C handles in stock.

There is nothing wrong making the handle yourself. The point I want to make is that if you want a new res-c, all you need is a call or PM.

Looking back, I should’ve left the res-c on there so I appreciate the input. May just reach out and see what my options are.

Nismo, I haven’t seen what hot caustic bluing would do to micarta. I’ve seen it do evil things to guys that left aluminum on their gun parts when it went in the tank. Not much of the aluminum parts left. I doubt cold bluing solution would do any permanent staining to micarta but I’d check a small spot first.

Back