Can I get a roll call for Hawaii Knife Knuts?

Not in Hawaii right now (away at school
smile.gif
) but from Manoa!

~Mitch

UW Mitch, did you just go to school there or are you a local? In any case the weather there is just as rainy as ever.
smile.gif

I'm not from Hawaii but I wish I could be there, or at least see it sometime in my lifetime!
smile.gif

Mark

Mark, I don't think you're missing too much here in Hawaii. Tahiti might be a better value if you're looking for more of a tropical island experience. Still, if you've got your heart set then perhaps Maui, Big Island or Kauai in that order.

Got a few more years to go before retirement, but I'll probably retire on Oahu. Got lots of family and friends on the island. Most of them up in Kaimuki in Honolulu. We were just back there for a week to see all the folks in February. We usually try to go back once a year. I have two little pineapple heads named Kaleo and Keoki. The next one is gonna be named Kekoa.

...And don't believe everything you hear, it doesn't rain that much in Seattle!

Aloha...!

Kev

Chubbs, Three boys! Hey, congradulations! Well, Oahu is the most "city-fied" island and if that's what you like, its all your kuleana. But do you think that Oahu is the best bet for the "tropical experience"? Yeah, gotta admit I live on Oahu too but other than Polynesian Cultural Center and a few other places, its probably not where I'd want to vacation (unless I had Ohana or friends living there).
smile.gif

Yup...spring in Seattle is very nice, but I miss summer in Honolulu.

Paranoid, I was born and raised in Honolulu, and I'm in Seattle for college...hopefully I can move home after I grad. but probably I'll end up working up here.

BTW UW's Hawaii Club had their annual luau last night...I cooked 210 lbs. of rice yesterday (that's about 385 cups of rice). We had about 12 gallons of poi, too much long rice and kalua pig w/ cabbage, haupia, lomi salmon (I never realized how much went into preping the salmon), shoyu poki, tako poki, and sweetbread rolls...oh yeah and about half a pallett of Hawaiian Sun. Choke fun!

~Mitch

This year it was all Orange Passion...last year they had lilikoi, orange passion, guava, and pas-o-guava.

However, our "country store" was selling various Aloha Maid drinks, and they had left overs, so the people who were left at then end after cleaning up (at 3am) got to take some home. I figure I worked 35 hours in three days for a case of juice...either I'm making about 25 cents an hour, or that case of juice cost $280 (depending on if I'm making $8/hour or if the case of juice costs $10
smile.gif
) Nah...seriously luau was choke fun and we had Natural Vibes come up to preform...they even were selling thier new CD before it's released at home.

Luau is good fun, and I got to use my knife to actually cut things open rather than just mail. Next year I think I'll get a nice 14" kitchen knife, since the cafeterias cutlery seriously sucks. (At least there's some knife content here).

~Mitch

~Mitch

Sounds like you are kama'aina, not that I doubted you.
biggrin.gif
I can't believe no one else is willing to sound off?! C'mon guys let's show our numbers!!!

Paranoid...Gotta agree with you that Oahu is the most urbanized island. I've been watching it change the last 30 years. But that's alright though, cause I usually don't do all the regular tourist stops. Gotta hang out with the locals, ya know! As well, if I wanted to, I can hang out down in Ala Moana or walk up Kaimoku to Pandas and eat my fill of Dim Sum. And at night, there's plenty of night life or I can just watch the sunset from a quiet spot anywhere on the island.

Mitch...Sounds like the Hawaiian gang is still the same at U-dub. Is Terry-Lander still the major congregation place these days? I still remember the luaus back in 1982 when I was a freshman. Gotta admit, there was always plenty of good food and plenty of rice!
biggrin.gif

You guys...Take care now!

Kev

Panda Cuisine on Keeaumoku is a pretty good place for yum cha, Forum is also well regarded.

Paranoid...You're right, Pandas is on Keeaumoku (up by Ross which is on the corner). Now, I'm just wondering what the heck was on Kaimoku, cause my cousin Mikki took me there this last time. Even though the two streets sound similar, I know I was there for something. Oh well... I take it you've frequent Pandas and the Forum. I've never been to the Forum. Where's it at and is it expensive? Pandas is very reasonably priced, IMO. I hardly ever have Dim Sum here in Seattle (it's crappy here). I save up my cravings and head over the Canadian border to have my fill. I may have to look you up the next time I'm on the island! I love to go 'Yum Cha'.

Hey, my cousins on the island aren't into knives or guns (actually it's like a taboo subject, cause two of them are on the HPD). So, where do you go locally to check out knives? I'd like to know the next time I'd visit! (I want to go where the locals go, not where the tourist goes.) Mahalo...!

Kev

Originally posted by Chubbs:
Paranoid...You're right, Pandas is on Keeaumoku (up by Ross which is on the corner).

Now, I'm just wondering what the heck was on Kaimoku, cause my cousin Mikki took me there this last time.

Reply: Actually, I'm at a loss to exactly
where "Kaimoku" is.

Even though the two streets sound similar, I know I was there for something. Oh well... I take it you've frequent Pandas and the Forum.

Reply: Yep, got a Chinese speaking girlfriend so we go there often.

I've never been to the Forum. Where's it at and is it expensive?

Reply: Forum is in the Chinese Cultural Plaza near river street. Legend is also in the Chinese Cultural Plaza and serves pretty good dim sum. Dynasty in Waikiki, arguably, serves the best peking duck (if you're interested).

Pandas is very reasonably priced, IMO. I hardly ever have Dim Sum here in Seattle (it's crappy here).

Reply: But we have no ethiopian food here, whereas Seattle does. And let's not even talk about Mexican food, only Quintero's is decent.

I save up my cravings and head over the Canadian border to have my fill. I may have to look you up the next time I'm on the island! I love to go 'Yum Cha'.

Reply: Maybe, while you're in Canada, try looking for Chinese style beef jerky while you're in their chinatown. You'll recognize it by the sesame seeds, grill lines, dark red color, and shiny sheen. Note: this is NOT char siu.

Hey, my cousins on the island aren't into knives or guns (actually it's like a taboo subject, cause two of them are on the HPD). So, where do you go locally to check out knives?

There's two places actually:
1) My friend, Chin Ng of Aloha Melting pot who deals in collectable and production. He has a lot of LEO friend and hunts wild boar with only a large knife. The flea market at Aloha Stadium on Wednesday, Saturday and Sundays is where and when you can find him.

2) Peter Do of Poweredge in Kaimuki, you can find him at his shop on Waialae Avenue opposite Kaimuki Q which was closed down recently.

I'd like to know the next time I'd visit! (I want to go where the locals go, not where the tourist goes.) Mahalo...!

Reply: Eh..you got it, brah!
Kev

Kaimoku Place or Way? Anyway, they are both in the 96821 zip code which is in the Aina Hina area. Does that jog any memories?

I used to eat Mexican at Mama's on School Street, but the last time I went home they were closed. I heard that Quintero's was terrible for Cinco Demayo (understaffed and WAY too busy).

If you're in the Salt Lake area check Young Guns in Mapunapuna, they carry Tom Mayo's knives. If you're in you're up on the North Shore side in Waialua, maybe you could check out Tom's shop!

Laters,
Mitch

Don't get out much aina haina side. Mama's was good for mexican, used really enjoy a after dinner bunellow. Mama's (the original on School St. used to be decent, but still authentic).

I'll check out Young Guns.

I have no idea whether it was Kaimoku Place or Kaimoku Way...frankly, I can't even remember why Mikki took me there now.

Well, sounds like both you guys like to eat. Ethiopian food - Kokeb Restaurant is pretty good here in Seattle. I don't like eating Mexican here...much better in San Diego. Dim Sum across the Canadian border - Top Gun in Richmond's Aberdeen Center (little Hong Kong Center) on Hazelbridge Road. For Chinese beef jerky - Richmond's Yao Han Center on No.3 Road and Cambie St. The Singapore-Style Beef Jerky stand has the best and freshess that I know of in the neighborhood.

I've heard of the swap meet at the stadium, so I might check that out the next time. Oh, I'll definitely want to check out Poweredge in Kaimuki. Oh wow, I would really love to check out Tom Mayo's knives in person. Thanks...you guys!

Take care now!

Is it just me or do we all live in Seattle?? Born and raised in Honolulu, moved up here for college, and stayed after graduation because the job market in HI sucks. I'm going home for a visit in August to see my mom (and the rest of the stereotypically huge extended Asian family -- yippee..)
I'm already planning my itinerary -- Zippy's (traditional), Ichi-Ryu, Spitting Caves, beach!!! (Any more knife store recommendations? Not been home for a while..)
So I guess that logically, the next question would be: "Eh, where you grad?"
wink.gif

Novadak,
So I was looking at your email address, and noticed it was a ~chem.hawaii.edu. Did you get a masters or something from UH? I'm getting my BSEE from UW. What college did you go to up here?

The Hawaii popluation at UW is just as good as ever!

~Mitch

Back