1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Can I heat treat an old spec 3V to the newer D3V?

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by pkng, May 27, 2018.

1. pkng

pkng

Nov 19, 2006
    Is is possible to re-heat treat an older model GSO with the older spec CPM 3V HT and redo the HT to the newer D3V HT? If so, is it cost prohibitive? Just wondering... Thanks for any info in advance.

Psybull likes this.
  2. Psybull

Psybull

Dec 31, 2015
    Have no idea but I have wondered the same thing.

3. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    You would have to convince one of the makers with access to that particular named proprietary heat treat protocol to do it.
    I don't know if annealing the blade and sending it back through the heat treat process would degrade the alloy or cause significant warping.
    The blade would have to be resurfaced and have a new edge put on it so it wouldn't be exactly the same size afterwards.
    So, while theoretically possible it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Mo2 likes this.
  4. pkng

pkng

Nov 19, 2006
    I heard that it could be done with other HT's... I would love to reHT my GSOs and other 3V knives to D3V if possible

5. Jhansenak47

Jhansenak47 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2005
    It is really not practical. I understand the desire to have the latest and greatest, but you are going to have blunt the edge so it won't crack during heat treat and then refinish the knife afterwards. It is a lot of work for minimal gain. You can check with Peters if you want. I suspect you would need to get permission to use the heat treat as it is proprietary and therefore considered intellectual property.
    https://www.petersheattreat.com/blades/faq/
    The bottom question on the FAQ is particularly relevant to your query.
    I personally would not "fix" something that wasn't broke.

BuckleBuilder, evltcat and ajvail18 like this.
  6. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    There’s no need to do this. You won’t notice the difference.

7. sharp thoughts

sharp thoughts

Oct 24, 2000
    Ditto what Bmurray said. Would'nt be a significant difference and not worth the negligible gain.

8. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    My understanding from reading Nathan the Machinists description of the delta heat treat is that there are some particular adjustments for a given blade thickness and geometry. I think he said something like "it's not a one size fits all" kind of process like the existing heat treat protocol. So unless you know what the process is exactly, my guess is it ain't gonna work.

The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Silver Needle likes this.
  9. SURVIVE! Ellie

SURVIVE! Ellie

Apr 21, 2014
    Technically speaking, I believe it would be possible. Practically though, no. I do not want to handle that headache.

Silver Needle likes this.
  10. pkng

pkng

Nov 19, 2006
    Thanks all for your thoughts.