Can I heat treat an old spec 3V to the newer D3V?

Is is possible to re-heat treat an older model GSO with the older spec CPM 3V HT and redo the HT to the newer D3V HT? If so, is it cost prohibitive? Just wondering... Thanks for any info in advance.

You would have to convince one of the makers with access to that particular named proprietary heat treat protocol to do it.
I don't know if annealing the blade and sending it back through the heat treat process would degrade the alloy or cause significant warping.
The blade would have to be resurfaced and have a new edge put on it so it wouldn't be exactly the same size afterwards.
So, while theoretically possible it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Reactions: Mo2
I heard that it could be done with other HT's... I would love to reHT my GSOs and other 3V knives to D3V if possible

Is is possible to re-heat treat an older model GSO with the older spec CPM 3V HT and redo the HT to the newer D3V HT? If so, is it cost prohibitive? Just wondering... Thanks for any info in advance.
It is really not practical. I understand the desire to have the latest and greatest, but you are going to have blunt the edge so it won't crack during heat treat and then refinish the knife afterwards. It is a lot of work for minimal gain. You can check with Peters if you want. I suspect you would need to get permission to use the heat treat as it is proprietary and therefore considered intellectual property.
https://www.petersheattreat.com/blades/faq/
The bottom question on the FAQ is particularly relevant to your query.
I personally would not "fix" something that wasn't broke.

My understanding from reading Nathan the Machinists description of the delta heat treat is that there are some particular adjustments for a given blade thickness and geometry. I think he said something like "it's not a one size fits all" kind of process like the existing heat treat protocol. So unless you know what the process is exactly, my guess is it ain't gonna work.

The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Technically speaking, I believe it would be possible. Practically though, no. I do not want to handle that headache.

Back